Idecabtagene vicleucel (ide-cel; bb2121), a BCMA-targeting CAR T-cell therapy, yielded a response in73% of patients with heavily pretreated relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma, according to topline findings from the pivotal phase 2 KarMMA trial shared during the 2020 ASCO Virtual Scientific Program.
In the study, 33% of patients had a complete response with ide-cel. The median duration of response (DOR) was 10.7 months, and the median progression-free survival (PFS) was 8.8 months (95% CI, 5.6-11.6).
Ide-cel demonstrated frequent, deep, and durable responses in heavily pretreated, highly relapsed/refractory patients with myeloma, said Nikhil C. Munshi, MD, director of Basic and Correlative Science, Jerome Lipper Multiple Myeloma Center, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School. Overall, ide-cel provides an attractive option for the treatment of patients with triple-class exposed relapsed/refractory myeloma.
In March 2020, Bristol Myers Squibb and bluebird bio, Inc., the codevelopers of ide-cel, submitted a Biologics License Application (BLA) to the FDA for the use of the CAR T-cell therapy as a treatment for adult patients with multiple myeloma who have received at least 3 prior therapies, including an immunomodulatory agent, a proteasome inhibitor, and an anti-CD38 antibody.
However, earlier this month, the FDA issued a Refusal to File letter to the companies regarding the BLA. In its initial review, the agency concluded that additional information was needed for the Chemistry, Manufacturing and Control module of the BLA. The FDA did not ask for any further clinical or nonclinical data according to the companies, which plan to resubmit the application by the end of July of this year.
The phase 2 KarMMA trial (NCT03361748) included 128 patients with relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma who received at least 3 prior therapies, including an immunomodulatory agent, a proteasome inhibitor, and an anti-CD38 antibody.
The median age was 61 months (range 33-78), 35% of patients had high-risk cytogenetics, 51% had high tumor burden, 39% had extramedullary disease, and 85% had 50% tumor BCMA expression. ECOG performance status was 0 (45%), 1 (53%), or 2 (2%). R-ISS disease stage was I (11%), 2 (70%), or III (16%). Patients had received a median of 6 (range, 3-16) prior antimyeloma regimens.
Ninety-four percent of patients had received 1 prior autologous stem cell transplant, and 34% had received more than 1. Eighty-eight percent of patients received bridging therapies during CAR T-cell manufacturing; however, only 4% of patients responded to the treatment. Regarding refractory status, 94% of patients were refractory to anti-CD38 antibodies and 84% were triple refractory.
Patients were treated at CAR+ T cell doses of 150 x 106 (n = 4), 300 x 106 (n = 70), or 450 x 106 (n = 54). The median follow-up was 18 months, 15.8 months, and 12.4 months, respectively. Across all patients, the median follow-up was 13.3 months. The primary end point was ORR, with secondary end points including CR, DOR, PFS, overall survival (OS), and quality of life.
Across all patients, the 73% ORR (95% CI, 65.8-81.1; P <.0001) included a 33% CR rate (95% CI, 24.7-40.9; P <.0001), a 20% very good partial response rate, and a 21% partial response rate. The overall CR rate comprised 26% of patients who achieved a CR/stringent CR (sCR) and were minimal residual disease (MRD)-negative, and 7% of patients who achieved a CR/sCR but who did not have MRD data. The median time to first response was 1 month (range, 0.5-8.8) and the median time to CR was 2.8 months (range, 1-11.8).
Durable responses were observed across all doses, said Munshi. At the dose of 450 x 106 CAR+ T cells, the ORR was 82% and the CR/sCR rate was 39%.
Clinically meaningful efficacy in terms of ORR was observed across subgroups, irrespective of age, risk categorization, tumor burden, BCMA expression level, extramedullary disease, triple-refractory status, penta-refractory status, and bridging therapy.
PFS increased as the target dose increased. At the 450 x 106 CAR+ T-cell dose, the median PFS was 12.1 months (95% CI, 8.8-12.3). The median PFS also increased by depth of response with a median of 20.2 months (95% CI, 12.3not evaluable) among patients who achieved a CR/sCR.
Munshi said the survival data are immature. At the time of the analysis, the median OS was 19.4 months (95% CI, 18.2not evaluable) and the 1-year OS rate was 78%.
Cytokine release syndrome (CRS) frequency increased with dose but was mostly low-grade, said Munshi. Overall, 84% of patients had 1 CRS event, with the majority (78%) being grade 1/2. There were 5 cases of grade 3 CRS, 1 case of grade 4, and 1 case of grade 5. The median time to onset of CRS was 1 day (range, 1-12), and the median duration of CRS was 5 days (range, 1-63). Fifty-two percent of patients received tocilizumab (Actemra) for CRS management, and 15% of patients received corticosteroids.
Neurotoxicity was mostly low grade and was similar across target doses, said Munshi. Overall, 18% of patients had 1 neurotoxicity event. There were 19 cases of grade 1/2 neurotoxicity and 4 cases of grade 3. There were no grade 4 or 5 incidents. The median time to onset of neurotoxicity was 2 days (range, 1-10), and the median duration was 3 days (range, 1-26). Two percent of patients received tocilizumab for neurotoxicity, and 8% of patients received corticosteroids.
The other significant adverse event, according to Munshi, was cytopenia91% of patients had any grade neutropenia (89% grade 3), and 63% (52% grade 3) had any grade thrombocytopenia. The median time to recovery of grade 3 neutropenia and thrombocytopenia was 2 months and 3 months, respectively, said Munshi.
There were 5 deaths within 8 weeks of ide-cel infusion2 following myeloma progression and 3 from AEs (CRS, aspergillus pneumonia, and GI hemorrhage). There was also 1 other AE-related death (CMV pneumonia) that occurred within 6 months, in the absence of myeloma progression.
Munshi NC, Anderson Jr LD, Jagannath S, et al. Idecabtagene vicleucel (ide-cel; bb2121), a BCMA-targeted CAR T-cell therapy, in patients with relapsed and refractory multiple myeloma (RRMM): Initial KarMMa results. Presented at: 2020 ASCO Virtual Scientific Program; May 29-31, 2020. Abstract 8503.
Read the original here:
- Researchers find that fish oil may help with depression - Jill Lopez - July 16th, 2020
- How frogs became green again, and again, and again : Research Highlights - Nature.com - July 16th, 2020
- Pressing ahead - PharmaTimes - July 16th, 2020
- Citius Pharmaceuticals Brings on Myron S. Czuczman, MD as Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and Executive Vice President - PRNewswire - July 16th, 2020
- Global thirst for electricity is fuelling the rise of a potent greenhouse gas - Nature.com - July 6th, 2020
- Check it Out: Beat summer boredom by reading a book - The Columbian - July 6th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technology Market by Leading Manufacturers, Demand and Growth Overview 2019 to 2027 - Jewish Life News - July 4th, 2020
- Its not just the lungs COVID-19 can affect the brain and heart of those infected, researchers say - FOX 10 News Phoenix - July 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells // Center for Stem Cells and Regenerative ... - July 1st, 2020
- Label-free sensing of exosomal MCT1 and CD147 for tracking metabolic reprogramming and malignant progression in glioma - Science Advances - June 30th, 2020
- Novel coronavirus infection might trigger type-1 diabetes - The Hindu - June 30th, 2020
- Recovering from Cancer, a Stem Cell Transplant and Coronavirus - Cancer Health Treatment News - June 30th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cSCC) that... - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - June 23rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Join the Russell 2000 Index and Russell 3000 Index - PRNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Therapeutics Market Promising Growth Opportunities over 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 23rd, 2020
- UK Startup Bags 37M to Remove Cell Therapy Manufacturing... - Labiotech.eu - June 16th, 2020
- EHA25Virtual: Adult Patients With Sickle Cell Disease May Be at Increased Risk of Adverse Outcomes From COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Announce New Clinical Data for Investigational Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 in Severe Hemoglobinopathies at the 25th... - June 16th, 2020
- BrainStorm to Present at the Raymond James Human Health Innovations Conference - PRNewswire - June 12th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - Advances & Applications scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 12th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics presents AUTO1 and AUTO3 data at the 2020 EHA25 Virtual Congress - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Multi... - June 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Seen to Help COPD Patients with Severe Inflammation - COPD News Today - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2028 - News Collective - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market-Top Companies, Business Growth And Investment Opportunities, Share and Forecasts 2025 - Jewish Life News - June 8th, 2020
- Creating hairy human skin: Not as easy as you think - Science Codex - June 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 (COVID-19) Impact Analysis: Business Trends, Growth Insight, Statistics And Forecast to 2025 - Surfacing Magazine - June 8th, 2020
- Study reveals birth defects caused by flame retardant - University of Georgia - June 8th, 2020
- Buckeye butterflies get their color from their scales - Massive Science - June 3rd, 2020
- Gracell Announces Two Presentations at the Annual Meeting of American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2020
- Stem cell treatments elicit full structural regeneration of the sun-aged skin - News-Medical.Net - May 29th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and Sernova to Collaborate to Engineer Universal Locally Immune Protected Cell Therapies for Type I Diabetes and Hemophilia A -... - May 29th, 2020
- Genmab Announces Positive Topline Results in Phase III ANDROMEDA Study of Daratumumab in Light-chain (AL) Amyloidosis - Financialbuzz.com - May 29th, 2020
- Opdivo + Yervoy receive FDA approval combined with limited chemotherapy as first-line treatment of metastatic or recurrent NSCLC - The Cancer Letter - May 29th, 2020
- AUGUSTMAN Grooming Awards 2020 Part IV: Best Head-To-Toe Treatment Services For Gentlemen - AUGUSTMAN - May 29th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Standard of Care Chemotherapy in Patients with MSI-H Colorectal Cancer - BioSpace - May 29th, 2020
- KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) plus LENVIMA (lenvatinib) Combination Demonstrated Clinically Meaningful Tumor Response Rates in Unresectable Hepatocellular... - May 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 27th, 2020
- Looking toward the Future of Cell & Gene Therapies - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - May 27th, 2020
- Past ISP Projects, School of Medcine - UC San Diego Health - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - May 27th, 2020
- Immunotherapy Drug Market Global Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities, and Market Forecast 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 27th, 2020
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the Validation of the European Marketing Authorization Application for Tafasitamab - Business Wire - May 21st, 2020
- Mesoblast: Recruitment Commenced For NIH Supported Phase 2/3 Trial Of Remestemcel-L In COVID-19 Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Seeking Alpha - May 21st, 2020
- Dose-dependent functions of SWI/SNF BAF in permitting and inhibiting cell proliferation in vivo - Science Advances - May 21st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells 101 Boston Children's Hospital - May 16th, 2020
- Revealed: First trial of pioneering stem-cell treatment for heart disease performed in China - Nature.com - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells - May 14th, 2020
- Dlp-mediated Hh and Wnt signaling interdependence is critical in the niche for germline stem cell progeny differentiation - Science Advances - May 14th, 2020
- CTX001 for Treatment of Sickle Cell Disease and Other Blood Disorders - Sickle Cell Anemia News - May 14th, 2020
- Australia's Mesoblast raises $90M to scale up stem cell therapy manufacturing to treat COVID-19 ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 14th, 2020
- Stem cells therapy A prospective treatment against coronavirus? - Daily Excelsior - May 14th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Brentuximab Vedotin (BV), a Standard of Care, in Patients With Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma (cHL) in... - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 12th, 2020
- Altered Bone Marrow Microenvironment Induces Defect of Hematopoietic Stem Cells in -thalassemia - Hematology Advisor - May 12th, 2020
- Stemline Slated for Acquisition by Menarini in Deal Worth Up to $677M - Xconomy - May 9th, 2020
- Rituximab Offers No Extra Benefit to Induction Chemo in ALL - Medscape - May 9th, 2020
- Region 3: Immune and Cellular Tx, Part II - MedPage Today - May 9th, 2020
- Silencing the cytokine storm: the use of intravenous anakinra in haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis or macrophage activation syndrome - The Lancet - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - StreetInsider.com - May 9th, 2020
- Weekly pick of brain tumour research news from around the world - Brain Tumour Research - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- Here's Why Athersys Tumbled 23.3% in April - The Motley Fool - May 7th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Schizophrenia drug points to improved brain cancer radiation therapy - New Atlas - May 7th, 2020
- Merck to Present New Data from its Broad Oncology Portfolio and Pipeline at the ASCO20 Virtual Scientific Program - Maryville Daily Times - May 7th, 2020
- What Do New Neurons in the Brains of Adults Actually Do? - The Scientist - May 7th, 2020
- Scientists finally explained one of the strangest coronavirus symptoms - BGR - May 7th, 2020
- Teva and Celltrion Healthcare Announce the Launch of TRUXIMA (rituximab-abbs) Injection for Rheumatoid Arthritis, the Only Biosimilar to Rituxan... - May 7th, 2020
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab, DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj), for the Treatment... - May 3rd, 2020
- CHMP Issues Positive Opinion Recommending Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab for the Treatment of Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- BrainStorm-Cell Therapeutics to Announce First Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate Update - StreetInsider.com - May 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells | HowStuffWorks - April 30th, 2020
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia - April 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Basics IV. | stemcells.nih.gov - April 30th, 2020
- Where Do We Get Adult Stem Cells? - Children's Hospital - April 30th, 2020
- Chimerix Announces Initiation of a Phase 2/3 Study of DSTAT in Acute Lung Injury for Patients with Severe COVID-19 - StreetInsider.com - April 29th, 2020
- US bishop: We must halt development of any coronavirus vaccine derived from aborted babies - Lifesite - April 29th, 2020