Imagine a world in which a tiny nanorobot could deliver a specific cannabinoid directly to your endocannabinoid (ECS) receptors. The nanorobot would be thousands of times smaller than the breadth of a human hair and could carry its small cargo inside a single droplet of liquid to deliver it directly to a target cell such as a cancer cell.
Sound far-fetched? It may be closer than you think, because researchers are making great strides in the fascinating field of nanomedicine.
The cannabis plant contains an amazing group of cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids, and scientists are only beginning to unlock the complex pharmacology and potential of these compounds. Combined with nanomedicine, cannabis has even more potential to treat disease and provide overall health benefits for people.
Scientists can manipulate substances on an atomic scale, in the range of 1-100 nanometers, or one thousand times thinner than a sheet of paper. According to the US Nanotechnology Initiative, substances on the nanoscale have very different properties than bulk substances dounique properties like better electrical conductance, higher strength, and different magnetic properties, light reflection, or chemical reactivity. Nanotechnology can be performed on solids, liquids, or gases to unlock these unique phenomena.
For these reason, nanotechnology applications in medicine offer exciting promise and possibilities, especially when applied to cannabis compounds. Many nanotechnology applications are already in usecomputer circuits made from carbon nanotubes allow for far greater computing power, and nanoparticles are already being used in pharmaceuticals to improve absorption.
Researchers work on all kinds of aspects of nanotechnology, such as finding the best substance for nanoparticles, the best shape for a nanoparticle for a specific delivery, and the best transfer mechanisms for specific drugs. Nanoparticles can generate heat, deliver stem cells, be radioactive or metallic, and so much more.
While many applications are still only imagined by scientists, at its full potential, nanotechnology could be the next medical revolution, vastly changing how diseases are detected and treated.
One of the best applications of nanomedicine is in the area of drug delivery, whereby nanoparticles deliver substances directly to specific cells, like diseased cancer cells. Researchers can engineer nanoparticles to be attracted to a diseased cell and limit the ability to bind with and therefore damage healthy cells.
Scientists at MIT and other institutions have successfully used specific nanoparticles to deliver drugs to tumors. Even more interesting is that nanoparticles are developed to work togetherwhile one locates a tumor, another can use the signal from the first to effectively carry the drug to its intended target.
In one interesting application, scientists have created a nanoparticle that looks for hydrogen peroxide present in inflamed tissue, then it releases a drug in that environment to target heart disease.
There is great promise that nanotechnology and cannabinoids can make an impact on diseases like cancer, multiple sclerosis, Parkinsons, diabetes, and a wide range of serious inflammatory diseases.
Nanotechnology can help identify a disease at an early stage, perhaps even when a single cell has gone awry, and then deliver a targeted cannabinoid to correct a cells behavior, thus stopping the disease in its tracks. It may even be possible for a nanorobot to target a specific endocannabinoid receptor to shut down the entire inflammatory process for the betterment of a patient.
Cannabinoid nanodelivery systems have entered the research mainstream, with scientists working on biologically engineered cannabinoids and other nanoparticles to be transported to cells, and by creating nanocarrier transport substances out of metallics or other substances.
Delivery system research also touches on improving bioavailabilitythe rate at which the active substance of a drug enters the bloodstreamas well as improving the physical stability of nanoparticles and optimizing routes of administration, including injection, pills, or sublingual drops.
A nanotechnology-based targeted drug delivery system can be formulated to deliver cannabinoids directly to endocannabinoid receptors, where the magic happens. Cannabinoids can be packed inside a nanoparticle and carried to its intended target without degradation and with a controlled release.
For example, nanoemulsions are already used in the food industry to deliver probiotics or other bioactive ingredients in a very controlled release. These nanoemulsions use a combination of two liquids that dont normally combinesuch as oil and waterto serve as a barrier to chemical degradation for the cannabinoid while on its journey through the body.
Other encapsulation methods can help with potency issues by increasing absorption, they can help decrease side effects, and they can help cover a substances bitter taste.
Specific cannabis strains could even have tailored therapeutic profiles, and cannabinoids could be bioengineered to produce enhanced effects.
Scientists envision a superclass of cannabinoid nanocarriers that have potential to treat a wide array of endocannabinoid insufficiency issues and thus a wide variety of diseases.
In one example, researchers are looking at novel ways to deliver substances across the difficult blood-brain barrier. This barrier is the bodys built-in defense mechanism to protect the brain, so the ability to transport substances across it directly affects a treatments efficacy.
To this end, scientists are engineering lipid nanocapsules decorated with minute cannabinoids like CBD as novel therapies for diseases of the central nervous system.
Nanotechnology has already transformed drug delivery in profound ways, and cannabinoid delivery is part of this exciting future. There are challenges, of course. Cannabinoids quickly degrade in water and are susceptible to other kinds of degradation, and that presents delivery issues.
More recent discoveries, including the decoding of the cannabis genome, discovery of the main CB1R and CB2R receptors within the human endocannabinoid system (ECS), and discovery of other receptors, are also foundational efforts that contribute to cannabinoid nanotechnology.
The latest research shows great progress in the formulation of targeted cannabinoid-nanocarrier delivery systems, and as such may provide key therapies particularly for central nervous system disorders. As scientists continue to make improvements in both bio-efficacy and bioavailability, cannabis nanotechnology represents an exciting and brave new world.
Read this article:
- The Top 10 Biotech Companies Brewing at... - Labiotech.eu - September 18th, 2020
- CRISPR Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2020-2027 | Leading Players Thermo Fisher Scientific, Editas Medicine, Caribou Biosciences, CRISPR... - September 18th, 2020
- Case 29-2020: A 66-Year-Old Man with Fever and Shortness of Breath after Liver Transplantation - nejm.org - September 18th, 2020
- Frequency Therapeutics Presents Results Demonstrating Sustained Improvement in Hearing Loss Patients Treated with FX-322 - Business Wire - September 18th, 2020
- Faulty exon splicing is cause of rare subtype of Parkinson's disease, pointing to new drug targets - BioWorld Online - September 15th, 2020
- Treating dogs diagnosed with GBM, getting Swedish patients back to work, orphan designation for improved radiotherapy drug plus gene therapy - Brain... - September 13th, 2020
- Histogen Announces Completion of Dosing Milestone in its 1b/2a Trial for Androgenic Alopecia in Men - StreetInsider.com - September 13th, 2020
- BeyondSpring (BYSI) Receives Breakthrough Therapy Designations from Both US FDA and China NMPA for Plinabulin in Chemotherapy-Induced Neutropenia... - September 8th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Impact of COVID-19 on Industry | Key Players: Kite Pharma... - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - StartupNG - August 31st, 2020
- Im Optimistic That We Will Have a COVID-19 Vaccine Soon - The Atlantic - August 31st, 2020
- Health insurance with maternity cover: All you need to know about features and inclusions - CNBCTV18 - August 31st, 2020
- Emerging Treatment Options of Regenerative Medicine in Severe Corona Virus/COVID 19 Infections - DocWire News - August 31st, 2020
- MaaT Pharma Announces Positive Data for Its Lead Microbiome Biotherapeutic MaaT013 in Intestinal Acute Graft-versus-Host-Disease at the Virtual 46th... - August 31st, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2020-2026 is Growing So Rapidly || Leading Players THERAPEUTICS, EXOCOBIO, Exopharm, AEGLE Therapeutics, United... - August 20th, 2020
- Inside the race to ditch formula and grow breast milk in the lab - Wired.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market: Rising Demand and Growth Opportunity - Owned - August 20th, 2020
- Health Spotlight: Have You Heard Of Dr. Jeffrey Tucker? - LATF USA - August 20th, 2020
- Viruses have big impacts on ecology and evolution as well as human health - The Economist - August 20th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) in Combination With Chemotherapy Significantly Improved Overall Survival and Progression-Free Survival Compared With... - August 20th, 2020
- Umbilical cord blood banking: Is it worth it? - mtltimes.ca - August 19th, 2020
- G1 Therapeutics Announces Acceptance and Priority Review of NDA for Trilaciclib for Patients with Small Cell Lung Cancer - GlobeNewswire - August 19th, 2020
- A question of scale the growing pains of cell-based meat - just-food.com - August 19th, 2020
- What do we need to know about our bone health during this pandemic - Times of India - August 19th, 2020
- Researcher John Craig Venter Is Awarded the 2020 Edogawa-NICHE Prize for His Accomplishment in Human Genome Research - Business Wire India - August 19th, 2020
- Cellect Biotechnology Ltd ADR (NASDAQ:APOP) Receives an Approval of a Pivotal Patent for Stem Cells Activation from the European Patent Office - BP... - August 13th, 2020
- A rapid, sensitive, and reproducible in vivo PBMC humanized murine model for determining therapeuticrelated cytokine release syndrome - Wiley - August 13th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Industry Market 2020 Explain What is the current size of the market? And key players analysis: Athersys,... - August 13th, 2020
- Dr. Park on the Benefits of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in ALL - OncLive - August 11th, 2020
- CELLECTAR BIOSCIENCES : Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - August 11th, 2020
- Trumps Unprecedented Attacks on Our Public-Health System - The New Yorker - August 11th, 2020
- New Report: Regenerative Medicine & Advanced Therapies Sector Thriving Despite COVID-19 - PharmiWeb.com - August 11th, 2020
- The NIU BODY Rebrand: millennials have grown up and so has their skin care - CosmeticsDesign.com USA - August 11th, 2020
- Embryos could be susceptible to COVID-19 from second week of pregnancy - Gulf News - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Latest News and Analysis - The New York Times - August 9th, 2020
- How to live longer: The health drink that reduces risk of Alzheimers and boosts longevity - Express - August 9th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - GlobeNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Research Report on Cell Theraputics Market by Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - August 5th, 2020
- Pediatrics in Brevard: Nothing beats the benefits of breastmilk for newborns - Florida Today - August 5th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2027 - CueReport - August 5th, 2020
- FDA hands MorphoSys and Incyte a quick OK on their potential blockbuster CAR-T alternative - Endpoints News - August 5th, 2020
- Fighting for a life unlimited with the Cystic Fibrosis Trust - Health Europa - August 5th, 2020
- World Breastfeeding Week 2020: The Benefits Of Breastfeeding For Mother And Baby - News18 - August 5th, 2020
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market to grow significantly in future | Worthington Industries,Cesca Therapeutics,Shengjie Cryogenic Equipment... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2022 - Market Research Correspondent - August 3rd, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Synthetic Stem Cells Market Report 2020-2026 Research Insights 2020 Global Industry Outlook Shared in Detailed... - July 30th, 2020
- World's First Plant and Cell Based Bacon and Pork Belly - One Green Planet - July 30th, 2020
- FDA Approves New CAR-T Therapy for Mantle Cell Lymphoma - Cancer Health Treatment News - July 26th, 2020
- Of mice and SARS-CoV-2 - The Hindu - July 26th, 2020
- Ruxolitinib passes another PhIII test for graft-versus-host disease, a win for Incyte and Novartis - Endpoints News - July 24th, 2020
- Study finds the real reason you get goosebumps - Big Think - July 24th, 2020
- Harvard study finds that stem cell stimulation gives us goosebumps - New Atlas - July 24th, 2020
- Celltex Therapeutics Webinar | Houston, TX Patch - Patch.com - July 24th, 2020
- Bioreactors Market Forecast to 2027 Covid-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Product Class, Material, Cell ; Molecule ; Technology ; End User, and... - July 24th, 2020
- Association of TNF- Gene Expression and Release in Response to | DMSO - Dove Medical Press - July 24th, 2020
- 'Missing link': Bayer, Morningside help catapult a new kind of delivery tech to cell and gene therapy - Endpoints News - July 24th, 2020
- Regulation of advanced therapy medicinal products in the EU - Regulatory Focus - July 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus Drug and Treatment Tracker - The New York Times - July 18th, 2020
- UCSD Researchers Discover and Manipulate Different Aging Processes in Cells - Times of San Diego - July 18th, 2020
- Restorative therapies for erectile dysfunction: Where are we at in 2020? - Urology Times - July 18th, 2020
- Flow Cytometry Market Size Forecast to Reach $6.71 Billion by 2025 - Reported Times - July 18th, 2020
- Cryopreservation Equipments in Stem Cells Market Innovative Technology Growth, Business Strategies and Trend 2027 - Owned - July 16th, 2020
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market Break Down By Leading Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities And Forecast 2020-2026... - July 16th, 2020
- Foodtech of the future post-COVID: Robot bartenders, insects and cannabis drinks - EU-Startups - July 14th, 2020
- 7 Benefits of Bee Pollen - What Are the Benefits of Bee Pollen - Prevention.com - July 14th, 2020
- Pancreatic cancer hides from the immune system by destroying the cell's danger signal - Massive Science - July 14th, 2020
- Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCs) and Cancer Stem Cells (CSCs) Market 2020 Size By Product Types, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Growth Potential, Price... - July 10th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Announces FDA Clearance of IND Application for First-ever iPSC-derived CAR T-Cell Therapy - StreetInsider.com - July 10th, 2020
- Fasting is not starvation or a fad, it is a discipline: Luke Coutinho - The Indian Express - July 10th, 2020
- FDA Approves Talaris Therapeutics' IND for Its Allogeneic Cell Therapy FCR001 to Be Evaluated in Patients With a Severe Form of Scleroderma -... - July 10th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics and MolMed Announce Extension of Gene Therapy Manufacturing Collaboration - BioSpace - July 10th, 2020
- Blood factors transfer beneficial effects of exercise on neurogenesis and cognition to the aged brain - Science Magazine - July 10th, 2020
- Ziopharm Oncology Announces Initiation of Phase 1 Trial Evaluating Rapid Personalized Manufacturing CAR-T Technology in Patients with Relapsed CD19+... - July 10th, 2020
- Benefits of Ashwagandha tea and how to make it - TheHealthSite - July 10th, 2020
- Live Cell Imaging Market Poised for Steady Growth in the Future 2020-2024 - Jewish Life News - July 10th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028: Leading Key Players Kite Pharma, Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - July 8th, 2020
- One common infection could kill our baby girl but one simple act could change her life forever - The Sun - July 8th, 2020
- Multidrug Combinations and CAR T-Cell Therapies for Heavily Pretreated Multiple Myeloma Shine at ASCO - Targeted Oncology - July 8th, 2020
- Vitamin P: Overview, Benefits, and More - Healthline - July 8th, 2020
- How COVID-19 Pandemic Will Impact Australia & New Zealand Research Antibodies Market Business Opportunity, And Growth 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020