HONG KONG, Aug. 24, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Global Cord Blood Corporation (NYSE: CO) ("GCBC" or the "Company"), China's leading provider of cord blood collection, laboratory testing, hematopoietic stem cell processing and stem cell storage services, today announced its unaudited financial results for the first quarter of fiscal 2021 ended June 30, 2020.
First Quarter of Fiscal 2021 Highlights
"Despite the ongoing challenges brought on by the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and sluggish consumer sentiment, we recorded 17,233 new subscribers during the first quarter of fiscal 2021," commented Ms. Ting Zheng, Chairperson and Chief Executive Officer of GCBC. "As we continue to navigate the current situation, we will remain vigilant to the long-term consequences of the pandemic and the constraints it has cast upon our business environment, as well as any potential developments in the regulatory regime that governs China's cord blood banking industry. We will also continue to pursue business opportunities as we expand our service offerings to support the long-term growth of the Company."
Summary - First Quarter Ended June 30, 2019 and 2020
Three Months Ended June 30,
Change in Fair Value of Equity Securities
Net Income Attributable to the Company's Shareholders
Earnings per Ordinary Share(RMB/US$)
Revenue Breakdown (%)
Processing Fees and Other Services
New Subscribers (persons)
Total Accumulated Subscribers (persons)
Summary - Selected Cash Flow Statement Items
Three Months Ended June 30,
Net cash provided by operating activities
Net cash used in investing activities
Net cash provided by financing activities
First Quarter of Fiscal 2021 Financial Results
REVENUES. Revenues increased by 2.8% YoY to RMB280.9 million ($39.8 million) in the first quarter of fiscal 2021. The increase was mainly driven by the larger client base and the increase in storage fee revenues, which outweighed the decrease in processing fee revenues.
By the end of June 2020, the Company's accumulated subscriber base grew to 849,933 and revenues generated from storage fees increased by 12.7% YoY to RMB119.3 million ($16.9 million) in the reporting quarter. Storage fee revenues increased to 42.5% of total revenues from 38.7% in same period last year.
During the quarter, the COVID-19 pandemic continued to affect the Company's hospital channels and business operations, as well as general consumer sentiment-resulting in the new subscriber numbers for the reporting period decreasing by 17.2% YoY and 6.8% quarter-over-quarter to 17,233. Revenues generated from processing fees and other services in the reporting quarter decreased by 3.5% YoY to RMB161.6 million ($22.9 million), with decreases in such activities offset in part by the full period contribution of the revised processing fee pricing.
GROSS PROFIT. Gross profit for the reporting quarter increased by 4.3% YoY to RMB237.5 million ($33.6 million). Gross margin improved to 84.5% from 83.3% in the prior year period.
OPERATING INCOME. Facing challenges caused by the pandemic, the Company took measures to control operating expenses. As a result, operating income for the reporting quarter increased by 18.8% YoY to RMB133.5 million ($18.9 million). Operating margin expanded to 47.5% in the reporting quarter from 41.1% in the prior year period. Depreciation and amortization expenses for the first quarter were RMB12.4 million ($1.7 million), similar to that in the prior year period. Non-GAAP operating income improved by 16.8% YoY to RMB145.9 million ($20.6 million).
Research and Development Expenses. Research and development expenses for the first quarter decreased by 7.6% YoY to RMB4.3 million ($0.6 million).
Sales and Marketing Expenses. As the Company continued to tighten sales and marketing expenses and maintain only essential promotional activities, sales and marketing expenses for the reporting quarter decreased by 9.2% YoY to RMB55.1 million ($7.8 million). Sales and marketing expenses as a percentage of revenues were down to 19.6% from 22.2% in the prior year period.
General and Administrative Expenses. General and administrative expenses for the first quarter decreased by 10.8% YoY to RMB44.5 million ($6.3 million), mainly driven by lower staff costs, fees, overhead and provisions. General and administrative expenses as a percentage of revenues decreased to 15.9% from 18.3% in the prior year period.
OTHER INCOME AND EXPENSES.
Change in Fair Value of Equity Securities. In the first quarter, the Company recognized an increase in fair value of equity securities, or "mark-to-market gains," of RMB18.4 million ($2.6 million), up from RMB10.0 million in the prior year period. The changes were mainly attributable to the valuation of the Company's investments in equity securities.
NET INCOME ATTRIBUTABLE TO THE COMPANY'S SHAREHOLDERS. Due to the increase in operating income and the increase in fair value of equity securities, income before income tax for the first quarter increased by 24.0% YoY to RMB160.4 million ($22.7 million). Income tax expense for the reporting quarter was RMB26.0 million ($3.7 million). Net income attributable to the Company's shareholders for the reporting quarter increased by 22.3% YoY to RMB132.5 million ($18.8 million). Net margin for the first quarter improved by 7.6 percentage points to 47.2%.
EARNINGS PER SHARE. Basic and diluted earnings per ordinary share for the first quarter fiscal 2021 increased by 22.5% YoY to RMB1.09($0.15).
On November 11, 2019, the Company appointed Mr. Jack Chow as an independent non-executive director ("INED") of the Board. Mr. Chow has extensive professional experience and a broad network in the finance and investment industry. He replaced Mr. Mark Chen as a member of the Audit Committee and Ms. Jennifer Weng as a member of the Special Committee. Mr. Chow also joined the Board's Compensation Committee and Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee.
On February 6, 2020, the Company appointed Mr. Jacky Cheng as an INED of the Board. Mr. Cheng has extensive professional experience and knowledge in legal and compliance and Chinese laws. He joined the Board's Compensation Committee as a member and the Company's Special Committee as a member. Currently, the Special Committee is composed of four members, including Mr. Mark Chen, Dr. Ken Lu, Mr. Jack Chow, and Mr. Jacky Cheng.
The Company will host a conference call at 8:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday, August 25, 2020 to discuss its financial performance and give a brief overview of the Company's recent developments, followed by a question and answer session. Interested parties can access the audio webcast through the Company's IR website at http://ir.globalcordbloodcorp.com. A replay of the webcast will be accessible two hours after the conference call and available for seven days at the same URL above. Listeners can also access the call by dialing 1-855-824-5644 or 1-646-722-4977 for US callers, or +852-3027-6500 for Hong Kong callers, access code: 11021450#.
 During the three months ended June 30, 2020, 17,233 new subscribers were recruited. The Company reclassified 394 private cord blood units as donated cord blood units during the three months ended June 30, 2020, after the Company determined that the recoverability of these prior private cord blood banking subscribers was remote. Therefore, the Company terminated their subscription services according to the subscription contracts and these units are being treated as if they were donated cord blood units and will be part of the Company's non-current inventories. Hence, the net accumulated subscriber base was 849,933 as of June 30, 2020.
 See exhibit 3 to this press release for a reconciliation of non-GAAP operating income to exclude the non-cash items related to the depreciation and amortization expenses to the comparable financial measure prepared in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles ("U.S. GAAP").
 The reported operating income for the three months ended June 30, 2019 and 2020 included depreciation and amortization expenses related to property, plant and equipment and intangible assets of RMB12.4 million and RMB12.4 million ($1.7 million), respectively.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
GAAP results for the three months ended June 30, 2020 include non-cash items related to depreciation and amortization expenses. To supplement the Company's unaudited condensed consolidated financial statements presented on a U.S. GAAP basis, the Company has provided adjusted financial information excluding the impact of these items in this press release. The non-GAAP financial measure represents non-GAAP operating income. Such adjustment is a departure of U.S. GAAP; however, the Company's management believes that these adjusted measures provide investors with a better understanding of how the results relate to the Company's historical performance. Also, management uses non-GAAP operating income as a measurement tool for evaluating actual operating performance compared to budget and prior periods. These adjusted measures should not be considered an alternative to operating income, or any other measure of financial performance or liquidity presented in accordance with U.S. GAAP. These measures are not necessarily comparable to a similarly titled measure of another company. A reconciliation of the adjustments to U.S. GAAP results appears in exhibit 3 accompanying this press release. This additional adjusted information is not meant to be considered in isolation or as a substitute for U.S. GAAP financials. The adjusted financial information that the Company provides also may differ from the adjusted information provided by other companies.
About Global Cord Blood Corporation
Global Cord Blood Corporation is the first and largest umbilical cord blood banking operator in China in terms of geographical coverage and the only cord blood banking operator with multiple licenses. Global Cord Blood Corporation provides cord blood collection, laboratory testing, hematopoietic stem cell processing and stem cell storage services. For more information, please visit the Company's website at: http://www.globalcordbloodcorp.com.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. These statements relate to future events or the Company's future financial performance. The Company has attempted to identify forward-looking statements by terminology including "anticipates", "believes", "expects", "can", "continue", "could", "estimates", "intends", "may", "plans", "potential", "predict", "should" or "will" or the negative of these terms or other comparable terminology. These statements are only predictions, uncertainties and other factors may cause the Company's actual results, levels of activity, performance or achievements to be materially different from any future results, levels of activity, performance or achievements expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. The information in this press release is not intended to project future performance of the Company. Although the Company believes that the expectations reflected in the forward-looking statements are reasonable, the Company does not guarantee future results, levels of activity, performance or achievements. The Company expectations are as of the date this press release is issued, and the Company does not intend to update any of the forward-looking statements after the date this press release is issued to conform these statements to actual results, unless required by law.
The rest is here:
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the Second Quarter and First Half of Fiscal 2021 - Galveston County Daily News - November 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market to Get Expansion admist COVID 19, Scope With Advanced Technologies Top Key Players and Forecast 2020-2027 - The... - November 25th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market 2020-2025: Opportunities with the Implementation of the 21st Century Cures Act - Stockhouse - November 25th, 2020
- Application and Product Portfolio Analysis During the forecasted period of Stem Cell Banking Market - The Think Curiouser - November 20th, 2020
- Why Bank Cord Blood & Tissue? Is Banking Worth It? | Cryo-Cell - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking | Michigan Center for Regenerative Medicine - November 16th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Stem Cell Banking Market Witness Highest Growth in nea - GroundAlerts.com - November 6th, 2020
- Cord Stem Cell Banking Market 2020-2026 Global Share and Forecast Research | Global Players Lifecell, StemCyte India Therapeutics Pvt. Ltd, Viacord,... - November 6th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market 2020 and Forecast 2021-2027 Includes Business Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Eurowire - November 6th, 2020
- High Density Cell Banking Market 2020 Growing Demand, Top Companies, Innovative Technologies, Segmental Outlook and Industry Insights 2027 - Zenit... - November 6th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Announces Multiple Presentations Across Stem Cell Transplant Portfolio at The American - Global Banking And Finance Review - November 6th, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | SGS Life Sciences, Lonza, CCBC,... - November 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Is Staring At A Promising Future During The Forecast Period Owing to Rapid Advances in Technology 2018 2026 - Aerospace... - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market to witness an impressive growth during the forecast pe - News by aeresearch - November 2nd, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market 2020 Growth Analysis with Production, Trends and Forecast up to 2027 - Illadel Graff Supply - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth by 2028 PRnews Leader - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- Early Impacts of COVID-19 on Cancer Stem Cells Market Trends and Future Dynamics 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Register Unwavering Growth During 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- In-Depth Report on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020|by Top Key players Aratana Therapeutics, Okyanos, Magellan Stem Cells, Stem Cell Vet - The... - October 29th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Sublicenses Stem Cell Line ESI-053 to ImStem Biotechnology for Development of Cell Therapy - Global Banking And Finance Review - October 29th, 2020
- Global Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report 2020 Growing Demand, Business Opportunities, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and... - October 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market from Key End-use Sectors to Surge in the Near Future - The Think Curiouser - October 22nd, 2020
- India Cord Stem Cell Banking Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Services Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Cord Blood America, California Cryobank Stem Cell Services LLC,... - October 22nd, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2020 Progress Factors, Size, Share, Analysis and Forecast 2027 | Charles River Laboratories, Cryo-Cell International... - October 22nd, 2020
- Growing Focus on Product Innovation Likely to Impact the Growth of the Stem Cell Banking Market 2018 2026 - Aerospace Journal - October 22nd, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - PRnews... - October 22nd, 2020
- The COVID-19 Fallout: Cancer Stem Cells Market Key Growth Factors and Opportunities in 2020-2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Services Market Expected to Reach xx.xx Mn By 2026 : Cord Blood America, California Cryobank Stem Cell Services LLC,... - October 18th, 2020
- Global Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Size 2020 Share, Trends, Growth Opportunities, Type, Application and Worldwide Forecast to 2024 - PRnews... - October 17th, 2020
- Banking wisdom: Teen saving stem cells in hopes of future treatment - LubbockOnline.com - October 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market to witness an impressive growth during the forecast period 2020 2025 - Express Journal - October 14th, 2020
- Global Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Potential Growth, Share, Size, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Industry Research Forecasts to 2026 | SGS... - October 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market 2015-2025 In-Depth Analysis, CO-VID 19 Impact on Industry Demands, Trends, Sales and Applications|CCBC, CBR, ViaCord,... - October 4th, 2020
- STEM CELL BANKING Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by top key players... - October 2nd, 2020
- Abu Dhabi Stem Cells Center and Pluristem Unveil Joint Projects at Malta Conferences Foundation Online Event - Global Banking And Finance Review - October 2nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell manufacturing Market Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Business Prospects, In-depth Analysis Research... - September 20th, 2020
- Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Business Prospects, In-depth Analysis Research Report... - September 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Threats, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To 2027 - Owned - September 13th, 2020
- India Cord Stem Cell Banking Market To Register Phenomenal Growth in the Period of 2019 2026 - Verdant News - September 13th, 2020
- Global Bio-Banks Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) By Type, Product,Application,Analysis,and Region. - Galus Australis - September 3rd, 2020
- Innovative Report on Stem Cell Banking Market with Innovations, Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies Forecast to 2027 -... - September 3rd, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market 2020 with Analysis of 44 Industry Players - PRNewswire - September 3rd, 2020
- Global Cell Banking Outsourcing market 2020 Global Industry Size Estimation, Research Update, Future Scope, Latest Trend Analysis, Research Findings,... - September 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis, Growth, Research Findings, Type, Application, Element Global Trends and Forecast to... - August 31st, 2020
- Cord Blood & Cord Blood Banking: An Industry Overview 2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Size To Witness A Lucrative Growth Over 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - August 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market IN COVID-19: IMPLICATIONS AND BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES FOR GROWTH GLOBALLY - Scientect - August 27th, 2020
- At 8.4% CAGR, STEM CELL BANKING Market Size is Expected to Exhibit 11.2 Billion US$ by 2025 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Global stem cell banking market Enhancement And Its growth prospects forecast 2020 to 2027 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Placental Stem Cells (PSCS) Market 2020-2027 Reporting And Evaluation of Recent Industry Developments || Leading Players StemCyte India Therapeutics... - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Share, Global Future Trend, Segmentation, Business Growth, Top Key Players, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin... - August 20th, 2020
- On the move at the OneAZ, Spencer Fane, UArizona - AZ Big Media - August 20th, 2020
- Erwinase Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast Period 2020 - - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - August 20th, 2020
- Covid-19 Update : Cord Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 Next Big Thing | Global Players CBR Systems, - PharmiWeb.com - July 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Poised to Grow at a Healthy CAGR of XX% During the Forecast Period 2018 2026 - Jewish Life News - July 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updated Analysis By Product (Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell, Embryonic Stem Cell, Adult... - July 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 -... - July 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market Size, Production, Consumption, Export and Import, Growth Rate and Price Analysis by Types and Applications, Forecast... - July 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Regions And Top Key Players Analysis From 2020-2029 - Cole of Duty - July 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Growth By Manufacturers, Countries, Types And Application, End Users And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 11th, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments | Industry Growth... - July 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Global Industry Analysis and Opportunity and Forecast 2018 to 2028 - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Apsters News - July 1st, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Banking Market Trends, Analysis by Application and Region by 2025| CCBC,CBR,ViaCord,Esperite - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Report Explores Share, Development By Companies Outlook, Growth Prospects And 2021 Key Opportunities Forecast - Industry... - July 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Predictable To Witness Sustainable Evolution over 2020-2030 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- Cord Blood Bank Market is expected to double its Market Size in Upcoming Years | Cordlife, Cryo-cell, Neostem, Virgin Health Bank, LifeCell - Apsters... - July 1st, 2020
- Bio Bank Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole of... - July 1st, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year of Fiscal 2020 - Stockhouse - July 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Recent Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and Assessment to 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Market Study and Forecast 2020-2025: Oncology Disorders Expected to Exhibit the Fastest Growth Rate - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - June 21st, 2020
- 15 Biotech Companies In Houston To Know - Built In - June 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market to Improve Revenue to Reach US$ 2410 Million by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Technological Innovations and Analysis Till 2030 - 3rd Watch News - June 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- Global Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cells (BMSCS) Market (COVID 19 Impact Analysis) Data Highlighting Major Vendors, Promising Regions, Anticipated Growth... - June 16th, 2020