For more than three decadesMichael Koob has been working out complicated puzzles using the tools of molecular biology and genetics. Today his deliberative labors are paying offwith untold implications for the study of human disease and the development of drug therapies and vaccines. Koob has figured out how to replace entire genes of laboratory mice with their human counterparts, transporting huge segments of human DNA to their proper corresponding location in mouse chromosomes. Now he is applying his genetic puzzle-solving ingenuity to the scourge of the COVID-19 pandemic.
An LMP associate professor, Koob launched his molecular investigations while a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, where he earned a PhD in molecular and cellular biology in 1990. His graduate adviser was the legendary molecular geneticist Waclaw Szybalski. Koob and Szybalski pioneered a technique they called Achilles heel cleavage that cuts DNA in a single targeted location, which enabled them to create large DNA segments. Koob joined the LMP faculty in 1995. He brought with him those early insights about how to use molecular tools to manipulate DNA in human and animal cells and thereby answer questions about health and disease.
Now Koob has set his sights onCOVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirusSARS-CoV-2 infection. SARS-CoV-2 respiratory viruses enter human lung tissue via a cell-surface receptor molecule called angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 orACE2. Once in the lung the virus multiplies and travels throughout the organ, in some patients causing Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), which can be fatal.
But theres a problem in using mice to understand SARS-CoV-2 infection and COVID-19 disease progression. In the mouse, the ACE2 receptor doesnt bind the virus, so mice dont get infected and show the respiratory symptoms we see in people, Koob said. But what if mice expressed the human gene for the ACE2 receptor instead of their own? That would potentially enable investigators to track COVID-19 pathology beginning with infection and viral replication in airway epithelial cells all the way to lower lung zones where the virus often settles, consolidates, and can cause viral pneumonia. That mouse model is under construction in Koobs laboratory.
Infection at the entry point would make the mouse model work for COVID-19, and full human ACE2 receptor gene substitution for the mouse version should make infection possible, Koob said. The internal viral replication will be maintained between the mouse and humans. So this should model the infection route, disease progression in the lungs, everything like that. Its really just basic cell biology. If you want to mimic what happens in a person the most important thing really is to get the cell types correct. If the right cells are ACE2 receptor-positive, then you can mimic what happens in people.
Other research groups have transferred only a small part of the ACE2 receptor DNA gene sequence into mice, creating transgenic animals but ones that do not mimic the potentially lethal lung pathology of a SARS-CoV-2 infection and COVID-19, such as ARDS. Koobs team will replace the entire mouse ACE2 receptor gene with the entire human ACE2 receptor gene plus associate regulatory sequencestransferring in all some 70,000 DNA sequences to the precise location on the mouse chromosome where its own ACE2 receptor gene once resided. The mouse gene will be gone, and the human gene will be there, Koob said. It now becomes a human ACE2 receptor gene in a true sense. The sequence of tissues that become positive for ACE2 receptor expression should be recapitulated.
When a human gene is put in the same spot where the mouse gene once resided, genomic regulatory factors come into play that are appropriate for that gene, Koob said. Theres a global regulatory context to take into account in animals that have a common ancestor, which all mammals do. Mice and humans arefairly close on the evolutionary tree. So theres global regulation if we put it in the right spot. The right spot transfer of the human gene construct is into a mouse embryonic stem cell, which Koob then puts into a blastocyst or early mouse embryo. Selective breeding yields mice with the human gene in all cells and tissues.
A search of the databaseClinicalTrials.govyields more than 400 studies when the terms COVID-19 and lung therapy are combined. Small molecule drugs, therapeutic antibodies and antivirals, immunotherapies, stem cells and natural killer cells, steroids, and laser and radiotherapies are among the lung injury therapies currently being investigated. A validated, reliable, and clinically informative mouse model for testing COVID-19 lung injury therapies would be invaluable, as it would be for future coronavirus vaccine trials.
Koob anticipates his human ACE2 receptor gene mouse strain will be ready by this fall. He will send it by courier toJackson Laboratory(JAX) in Bar Harbor, Maine to join more than 11,000 strains of mice that JAX distributes to researchers around the world. JAX will breed the mice over several months while Koob and LMP professorsSteve JamesonandKris Hogquistand Department of Medicine assistant professorTyler Bold, all at the Center for Immunology, conduct characterization and SARS-CoV-2 infection studies of the mice in aLevel 3 biosafetyfacility. JAX is currently distributingKoobs full gene replacement mouse strainthat carries the human microtubule-associated proteintau, which is responsible for the neurofibrillary tangles in the brain associated with Alzheimers disease and other dementias. Koob is making full gene replacement mouse models of other neurodegenerative diseases.
Our philosophy is to make our mouse strains available to the research community in an expedited way, Koob said. I contacted JAX about this ACE2 receptor gene replacement mouse. Theyre very happy to collaborate with us because they dont have anything like this. And were making it available to researchers without restrictions.
With Koob and his laboratory scientist Kellie Benzow as inventors, the University has filed a patent onMethods of full gene replacement and transgenic non-human cells comprising full human genes.
Its been a long time since Koob collaborated with his graduate adviser Waclaw Szybalski, now a 98-year-old professor emeritus. Together their research careers encompass the history of molecular biology going back to the early 1950s with the discovery of the DNA double helix. Szybalski was born in 1921 just after a pandemic virus infected an estimated one-third of the Earths population and killed tens of millions of people. A century later, with another pandemic raging, the timing couldnt be better for his student to exercise his manifest molecular inventiveness.
William Hoffman is a writer and editor at the University of Minnesota. He has worked closely with faculty in genetics and bioengineering, medical technology and bioscience industries, and the science policy and ethics communities. He is author with Leo Furcht of Divergence, Convergence, and Innovation: East-West Bioscience in an Anxious Age, Asian Biotechnology and Development Review, Nov. 2014.
A version of this article was originally published at the University of Minnesota website and has been republished here with permission. The University of Minnesota can be found on Twitter @UMNews
Continue reading here:
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Top Key Players; Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation,... - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Breakthrough research links one ingredient to hair growth - Express - September 28th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market To Witness Growth Acceleration Duri - News by aeresearch - September 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Share, Sales Channels and Overview Till 2025 - The Research Process - September 26th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market is Expected to Witness Significant Growth-Says QYResearch | , ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime, MilliporeSigma... - September 20th, 2020
- Species-specific pace of development is associated with differences in protein stability - Science Magazine - September 20th, 2020
- The Fascinating Story of Q Stock BioRestorative Therapies Inc (OTCMKTS: BRTXQ) - MicroCap Daily - September 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research on Import-Export Details, Business Standards and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- Insights Into the Structure and Function of the Immortality Protein - Technology Networks - September 15th, 2020
- Global Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Industry Report 2020 History, Present and Future - Express Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Patenting Stem Cell Inventions in India- What to Expect? - Lexology - September 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market will Hit Big Revenues in Future | COVID19 Unlock opportunities - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- Novel discovery could lead to stem cell-based treatment for heart failure - News-Medical.Net - September 11th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Bulletin Line - September 11th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 11th, 2020
- Development Trends and Financial Analysis of Stem Cell Assay Market - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- School of Science grows by 10 - MIT News - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Fuel Revenues Through 2020 Lake Shore Gazette - Lake Shore Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Kerala's KK Shailaja tops as women dominate top 10 of Prospect's 'thinkers for the COVID-19 age' list - The New Indian Express - September 8th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Scientect - September 8th, 2020
- Live-cell imaging and analysis reveal cell phenotypic transition dynamics inherently missing in snapshot data - Science Advances - September 8th, 2020
- An ancient virus might have made our hearts bigger - Scope - Scope - September 8th, 2020
- How Groups of Cells Cooperate to Build Organs and Organisms - The Scientist - September 3rd, 2020
- Study reveals genetic mutations may be linked to infertility, early menopause - Sify News - September 3rd, 2020
- Scientists create embryonic stem cells without destroying ... - August 29th, 2020
- Practical Problems with Embryonic Stem Cells | USCCB - August 29th, 2020
- Foetal cells are used to make the Oxford coronavirus vaccine. But they came from a foetus in 1973 - ABC News - August 29th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - Galus Australis - August 29th, 2020
- Translational Regenerative Medicines Market: Which Region Will Register Higher CAGR? 2017-2026 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Trends, Applications, Industry Competitive Analysis, Growth,Forecast: 2019 to 2029 - The Scarlet - August 29th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market 2020 (Covid-19 Impact) In-depth Industry Analysis By Types, Applications and Forecast 2026: Celgene, Cynata,... - August 27th, 2020
- Pro-life groups applaud Trump administration advisory board for rejecting fetal tissue research proposals - Christianity Daily - August 27th, 2020
- Global regenerative medicine market size was USD 23841.5 Million in 2018 and is Projected to Reach USD 151949.5 Million by 2026, Exhibiting a CAGR of... - August 27th, 2020
- Archbishops vaccine stance out of tune with community - The Age - August 27th, 2020
- Cellular Reprogramming Tools Market- By Type, Component, Industry, Region Market Size, Demand Forecasts, Company Profiles, Industry Trends and... - August 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market Report Forecast to 2025 by Global Market Insights, Key Companies and Driving Trends| CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech -... - August 20th, 2020
- Ron Evans steals a trick from I/O, and points the way to a transformational diabetes therapy - Endpoints News - August 20th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provides Business Update - Stockhouse - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Landscape Assessment By Type and Analysis Current Trends by Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin... - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - August 19th, 2020
- ASU engineers get to the heart of organs-on-a-chip - ASU Now - August 19th, 2020
- Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Research Report by Product, by Cell Type, by Cell Source, by Technique, by Application, by End User - Global... - August 16th, 2020
- What Are the Five Warning Signs of Testicular Cancer? - MedicineNet - August 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Industry Analysis & Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Service, Application and Geography. - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 13th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells market to see major growth by 2026 | Lonza Group Ltd., Life Technologies Corporation, NuVasive Inc., TiGenix NV, Sumanas,... - August 11th, 2020
- New Study Presents Cell-based Therapy for MN Diseases or Spinal Cord Disorders - Mirage News - August 11th, 2020
- How Close Are We To Making Babies from Bone Marrow? - Discover Magazine - August 11th, 2020
- H.C. Wainwright Keeps Their Buy Rating on Lineage Cell Therapeutics (LCTX) - Smarter Analyst - August 7th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - WOLE TV - August 5th, 2020
- The Trouble With CRISPR The Strand - Strand - August 5th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by Sources, Cell Type, Application, End User and Region. - Red... - July 30th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026|ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime -... - July 30th, 2020
- Waveguide Combiners & Dividers Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis, And Key... - July 30th, 2020
- Expanded encyclopaedias of DNA elements in the human and mouse genomes - Nature.com - July 30th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application Till 2027 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- New model may explain why certain cancer cells are resistant to therapy - News-Medical.Net - July 30th, 2020
- "Self-eating" Process of Stem Cells May be Key to New Regenerative Therapies - Mirage News - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020 Report Forecast By Global Industry Trends, Future Growth, Regional Overview - Express Journal - July 28th, 2020
- Researchers Discover a New Side of Cancer that May Explain Its Resistance to Treatment - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - July 28th, 2020
- Letters to editor: Sundial Bridge gathering, Donald Trump and COVID-19 - Record Searchlight - July 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Surpass US$ 40.3 Billion by 2027, Owing to Increasing Incidence of Spina - PharmiWeb.com - July 24th, 2020
- 'Embryoids' not the breakthrough they're made out to be - The B.C. Catholic - July 24th, 2020
- What's next for Tony Fauci, if the White House continues to sour on him? - STAT - July 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020-2026 | Comprehensive Study of COVID-19 Impact | Worldwide Key Players: Osiris Therapeutics,... - July 14th, 2020
- Turning off junk DNA may free stem cells to become neurons - National Institutes of Health - July 14th, 2020
- Why are scientists trying to manufacture organs in space? - Space.com - July 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Growth, Size, Opportunities and Analysis Forecast 2020 - 3rd Watch News - July 14th, 2020
- What Miniature Lab-Grown Brains Reveal About the Effects of Covid-19 - OneZero - July 14th, 2020
- Transdermal Testosterone Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 -... - July 14th, 2020
- Impact Analysis of COVID-19 on Stem Cells Market Study 2018-2028 Segmented On The Basis of Product Type, Geographical Analysis, Future Forecast,... - July 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis on Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 by BioLife Solutions, Akron Biotechnology, GE... - July 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : Global Forecast over 2025 Cole of Duty - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Emerging Trends, Business Opportunities, Segmentation, Production Values, Supply-Demand, Brand Shares and Forecast 2020-2027 - Cole... - July 10th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 10th, 2020
- Human CNS barrier-forming organoids with cerebrospinal fluid production - Science Magazine - July 10th, 2020
- Why we still haven't cloned humans it's not just ethics - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 10th, 2020
- Network Traffic Analyzer Market Size 2020 Global Industry Insights, Share, Growth, Trend, Demand, Top Players, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 -... - July 10th, 2020