Our professional field is constantly evolving, says Professor Carroll Webers. He is head of the University Clinic for Ophthalmology at Maastricht UMC+ in the Netherlands, where he started in 1993 as an ophthalmologist with glaucoma (high eye pressure) as a special focus area. Since then, the field has been expanding rapidly and encompasses a wide range of applications for patients. Such as treatments for eye disorders caused by diabetes, retinal detachment, glaucoma, and macular degeneration (which is an age-related phenomenon that affects the retina).
Technological developments play a key role in what can be achieved in ophthalmology. Webers gives a brief glimpse into how the Maastricht university clinic is contributing to these developments.
Notably with the research on stem cell technique carried out by his colleague Professor Rudy Nuijts, for example. A technique that is especially interesting for people who have become blind in one eye as a result of a burn or a caustic substance in the eye.
Together with the Italian cell biologistGraziella Pellegrini and the company Chiesi Pharmaceuticals, Nuijts developed a technique whereby stem cells from the healthy eye are used to grow a new membrane. Nuijts extracts the stem cells which are then sent by courier to Italy. There, Pellegrini cultivates these cells, which takes about two weeks. After that, they are returned to the Maastricht UMC+ as a new membrane. Nuijts subsequently attaches this to the damaged eye. In the Dutch television program Dokters van Morgen (Doctors of Tomorrow), they show how Anne-Mieke King is able to see again after being blind in one eye for many years.
A groundbreaking innovation, Webers declares, but not one that many people will have to undergo. That certainly is the case for cataract operations. At a later age, plenty of peoples own lenses become cloudy, which is what we call a cataract. In the Netherlands, cataract surgery is carried out about 180,000 times a year. The blurred lens is then replaced by an artificial lens. Up until the 1990s, the incision had to be at least as large as the own lens, about 10 millimeters, and that had to be stitched up again. Webers: In general, the smaller the surgical procedure, the faster the patients recovery. With laser techniques, we only need an opening of 1.6 millimeters to replace the blurred lens. Because the incision is so small, stitches are no longer necessary.
I always joke with my patients by saying that both their eyes are about the same age. That implies that they have cataracts in both eyes. For years, the guideline was that one eye was operated on first and after two weeks, the other eye followed. Recently, the Maastricht UMC completed a study showing that it is possible to operate both eyes at once.
You first operate on one eye. Then you take a totally new set of instruments, new fluids, a new jacket, new gloves, and you operate on the other eye. Since July, patients can come to Maastricht UMC+ for this double-sided operation. This has been stepped up in part due to corona. Because in this corona crisis you naturally want patients to be hospitalized as little as possible. If you operate them separately on both eyes, they will just end up coming to the hospital twice as often.
Patients not only need to be examined less often, but it also makes a difference in terms of home care, Webers notes. After this kind of operation, patients have to have eye drops. A substantial proportion of this is done by home care services. Initially, patients have to get drops four times a day for a week, then three times a day for a week, then twice a day for a week, and then once a day for a week. If that can be done with two eyes at the same time, it would make a huge difference.
His original specialism, glaucoma, is also advancing. Every eye has a certain pressure by nature. An eye would never be a beautiful ball otherwise. With glaucoma, the pressure is in principle too much for that eye and in the long run, this leads to irreparable damage. In the end, the patient becomes visually impaired and blind.
There are approximately 350,000 people in the Netherlands who are walking around with glaucoma, Webers adds. High eye pressure can be treated with eye drops, laser surgery, and minor surgical procedures. But the real innovation is a very small stent, which you can also insert into a blood vessel. The hollow tube makes it easier for fluid to drain away, Webers goes on to explain. A project is being carried out by the University Clinic for Ophthalmology at Maastricht UMC+ in conjunction with the Brightlands Campus Chemelot. Ophthalmologist Henny Beckers is in charge of the project.
Finally, Webers goes on to talk a little about his hobby. You dont really know in advance how sensitive a patient is to that eye pressure. The problems only manifest themselves at a later stage. If I knew how sensitive someone is, I might or might not opt for a more intensive treatment. In order to gain more understanding of that sensitivity, the clinic collects body tissue from all glaucoma-compatible patients for research. Of course, we ask for permission to store blood and the tissue and fluid thats lost during surgery. The eye tissue bank now contains samples from around 1500 patients.
Webers explains that you can make blood cells, stem cells, and optic nerve cells from those stem cells. You have to do all sorts of things to achieve this. But it can be done. These cultivated optic nerve cells are put under pressure under laboratory conditions. We want to develop an instrument that allows us to show whether a patient is very sensitive to eye pressure or not. This will give us an insight into how great the risk is that that patient will become seriously visually impaired over the course of her or his life. Then you also have a better idea of how extensively you should treat them.
In addition to sensitivity, Webers also hopes to gain a deeper understanding of what the innate protective factors are. It could be your genes or your diet, for example. You could add protective substances to the cultivated optic nerve cells to see if that cell would then become less vulnerable, Webers continues. Those substances can vary a lot from one individual to another. You may be sensitive to all sorts of substances contained in green vegetables, whereas I am not at all. In that case, the advice would be: Take nutritional supplements. And for me: Dont do that. To us, this is Personalized Medicine. Highly innovative but still at an experimental stage.
This article is a follow-up to: Electronic lens offers a medical solution for eye disorders.
Read more from the original source:
- Stem cell research, clinical use of 'magic mushrooms' among issues on state ballots this year - Science Magazine - October 20th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCS) and Cancer Stem Cells (CSCS) Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast... - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Comprehensive Study COVID19 Impact Analysis 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Harvard Business School and Harvard's Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Receive $25 Million Gift from Chris and Carrie Shumway to... - October 20th, 2020
- FAU researchers receive NIH funding to analyze stem cell activation - News-Medical.net - October 20th, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells (HESC) Industry Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2020-2027: ESI BIO, Thermo Fisher, BioTime,... - October 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Media Market 2020 Detailed Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Growth Forecast 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Primary Cell Culture Medium Market Expected to Witness High Growth - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - October 20th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth of CAGR during the period 2020 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Global Market Report 2020 2025: Post Covid 19 Impact and Recovery - The Think Curiouser - October 20th, 2020
- Stem cells, repair cells, & growth factors: What is the latest? - The Times of India Blog - October 18th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market: Worldwide Industry to Boost in the Period of 2020-2025 - Express Journal - October 18th, 2020
- Biomedical Engineering Team Contributes to High-impact Study on Metabolism - University of Arkansas Newswire - October 17th, 2020
- Prop. 14: In the COVID age, can California still afford its stem cell research program? - CALmatters - October 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market In-Depth Analysis & Forecast 2017-2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 17th, 2020
- What Proposition 14 Tells Us About California - The New York Times - October 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2026 |... - October 17th, 2020
- What is human fetal tissue research and why is it done - Business Insider - Business Insider - October 17th, 2020
- U of T's Medicine by Design invests $1 million to advance new ideas in regenerative medicine - News@UofT - October 10th, 2020
- AIVITA Biomedical's Stem Cell Therapeutic in Vision Loss Published in Investigative Ophthalmology & Vision Science - BioSpace - October 10th, 2020
- Researchers drastically reduce the harvest period of stem cell sheets - News-Medical.net - October 10th, 2020
- Oakland University researchers acquire flow cytometry cell sorter with NSF grant - 2020 - College of Arts and Sciences - News - OU Magazine - News at... - October 10th, 2020
- Stem Cell and Progenitor Cell-based Therapeutics Market Market Size, Share, Industry Report by Growt - PharmiWeb.com - October 10th, 2020
- Boise State engineers given the opportunity to send stem cell research into space - Boise State University The Arbiter Online - October 5th, 2020
- Election Guide: Here's What You Need to Know About Proposition 14 - NBC Bay Area - October 5th, 2020
- Proposition 14 would authorize state to borrow $5.5 billon for stem cell research - KESQ - October 5th, 2020
- Researchers identify process for regenerating neurons in the eye and brain - Newswise - October 5th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market will Register a Significant CAGR During Period 2020-2026 | 9.3% CAGR| Know the Companies List Could Potentially... - October 5th, 2020
- Stem Cell Technologies and Applications Market: Increasing Demand for Research and Development Analysis Report till 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - October 4th, 2020
- Global Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCs) and Cancer Stem Cells (CSCs) Market Latest Innovations and Forecast 2021-2026 : Qiagen, Advanced Cell... - October 4th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market -Key Players, Size, Growth, Incredible Potential, and Stagnant Progress According to New... - October 4th, 2020
- Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Growth Factors, Share, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- ONLINE: The Future of Medicine - Isthmus - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market is forecast to reach $6,956 million by 2023 | ViaCord,Cryo-Cell, China Cord Blood Corporation, Cryo-Save - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- GMP Cell Banking Services Market | Government Bodies Increase Flow of Funding to Discover Treatment Options for Rare Diseases - BioSpace - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Top Key Players, Product Type, End-user Applications, Region and Forecast to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- The Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market To Go Strong With 4.2% CAGR Between 2026 - Crypto Daily - September 29th, 2020
- Developments In Stem Cell Therapy Market Top Regions, Countries, Sales, Revenue, Leading Companies, Types, Demand, And Forecast Assessment - The Daily... - September 29th, 2020
- Placenta Is Initiated First, as Cells of a Fertilized Egg Divide and Specialize - Technology Networks - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market By Applications, Types, New Technology Opportunity Analysis And Forecast: 2020 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Research Report and Overview on Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market, 2020-2027 with , Chart, Worthington Industries, Cesca Therapeutics,... - September 29th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Industry Development Trends & Competitive Analysis by Leading Industry Players - The... - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market: Year 2020-2027 New Business Experts Ideas by Merck KGaA, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Osiris Therapeutics, Inc. -... - September 29th, 2020
- The global market for Nerve Repair and Regeneration is projected to reach US$12.7 billion by 2025 - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- The Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation market to Undergo positive Transformation between 2017 and 2025 - Crypto Daily - September 28th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | ANIMAL CELL THERAPIES,... - September 28th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Companies Like: Advanced Cell Diagnostics, Silicon Biosystems, Cancer Stem... - September 28th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cells Market: Rapid adoption of stem cells by healthcare professionals for tissue regeneration is spurring growth of market - BioSpace - September 26th, 2020
- Reading the Props 14 Stem Cell Bonds Reproduce Themselves - Fox and Hounds Daily - September 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Key Players, Trends, Sales, Supply, Demand, Analysis And Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 26th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market To Record Exponential Growth During Projected Timeframe - The Daily Chronicle - September 26th, 2020
- Props to You Event: Wait, Didnt We Vote On These Already? - CALmatters - September 26th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies MARKET 2020 |INDUSTRY ANALYSIS, SIZE, SHARE, TRENDS, MARKET DEMAND, GROWTH, OPPORTUNITIES AND... - September 26th, 2020
- Perinatal-Derived Exosomes are the Key to this Biotech's Treatment Therapies - The Wall Street Transcript - September 26th, 2020
- Cell Viability Assays Market- Roadmap for Recovery From COVID-19 | Focus On Timely Diagnosis Of Diseases to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio -... - September 26th, 2020
- Singapore inks research collaboration with India for biotherapeutics - BSA bureau - September 26th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetes and Related Conditions Market Latest Innovations and Forecast 2021-2026 : Athersys, Mesoblast, Caladrius... - September 26th, 2020
- Extensive Research Driving the Animal Stem Cell Therapy market - Daily Research Photographer - September 26th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 24th, 2020
- FDA Grants RMAT Designation to MultiStem Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - BioSpace - September 24th, 2020
- Coming of Age: New Research Efforts are Improving Treatment of Childhood Blood Cancers - Curetoday.com - September 24th, 2020
- Guide to Voting on Propositions and the City of San Bernardino's Measure S - Black Voice News - September 24th, 2020
- Synthetic Stem Cells Market Research: Aim To Achieve The Pinnacle In Qualitative Industry Research And Business Intelligence - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Election 2020: Prop. 14 and stem cell research funding - KCBX - September 22nd, 2020
- Global Vaccine, Insulin and Stem Cell Market Research Report Profitable Segments, Current and Future Industry Analysis till 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Coronavirus Researchers Discover How COVID-19 May Trigger Fatal Levels of Lung Inflammation - SciTechDaily - September 22nd, 2020
- Asymmetrex Receives $0.42 Million Award from the NIH-National Heart Lung and Blood Institute to Develop the AlphaSTEM Test for Stem Cell Therapies and... - September 22nd, 2020
- City of Hope Enters Licensing Agreement With Chimeric to Develop Its Pioneering Chlorotoxin CAR T Cell Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels -... - September 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market 2020-2025| Global Opportunities and Study of Demand drivers Chart, Worthington Industries, Cesca... - September 22nd, 2020
- Changing STEM Representation Trends Through the Philadelphia AMP Alliance - DrexelNow - Drexel Now - September 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market : In Depth Insight, Industry Opportunities And Investment Overview Growth & Research Finding To 2020 2025 | Emerging... - September 22nd, 2020
- Massive Growth in Stem Cell Banking Market Set to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Cordlife, Cryo-Cell International, Cryo-Save Ag (A Subsidiary Of... - September 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Cell Culture Market: Chemically Defined Mediums Adaptation to Boost Market Growth - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Stem cells, like Rosh Hashanah, give the opportunity to be reborn - The Jerusalem Post - September 15th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cells Market to witness astonishing growth by 2026 | AbbVie, The Merck KGaA Group, Bionomics, Lonza Group - The PRNews Pulse - September 15th, 2020
- LAVA Therapeutics, Amsterdam UMC and Monash University Announce Publication of a Novel Cancer Immunotherapy Approach in Nature Cancer - Business Wire - September 15th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To 2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Phase 3 TOURMALINE-MM2 Study Fails to Meet Primary Endpoint in Treating Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - September 15th, 2020