With coronavirus contamination fears, concerns over wet markets, and social distancing measures in restaurants and bars, innovations are needed now more than ever in the foodtech sector. Add these worriesto the already sizable list ofissues,includingglobal food security and climate change,and the sense of urgency increases. With national government and supranational bodies like the European Unionoften slow to act when tackling complex global issues, there is plenty of room for Europes entrepreneurs and startups to lead the way.
In the developed world, no-contact service solutions in the hospitality industry are already zooming ahead post-COVID, from contact-free orderingstations, to robot barmen. Similarly, with stress on the rise and a newfocus on health, cannatech CBD infuseddrinks and foods have the potential to become more popular, especially with home delivery options.
On the other side of the globe, the race to feed the worlds hungryhas got more complicated since COVID-19. The World Food Programme has signalled that they currently assist 138 million people with food security, but expectthis number to increase to 265 million before the years end an 82 % increase due to the coronavirus pandemic. The way local communitieshandle their own food security is also being called into question, with concerns over the safety of wet marketsfuelling discussions onmore sustainable ways to farm animals for meat.
Take a look at these no-so-futuristic foodtech solutions.
3D printed food
Would you eat something that has been 3D printed? Its not asplastic as it sounds. 3D printers act more as plate presentation organisers imagine cookie batter being piped into hearts before baking.
The benefits of 3D food printing are certainly speed, precision and efficiency, compared to human chefs. Similarly, there is less food waste produced, as the exact measurements needed are used for each creation. In addition, food can be customisable and personalised, to each diners preferences, with less effort needed in the kitchen. Finally, 3D printers can handle tasks which would have otherwise been realized by a human chef, freeing up space in the kitchen and allowing more social distancing for chefs.To find out more about the topic, hop on over to Barcelona-based Natural Machines, and check out their beautifully presented dishes.
Shaken or stirred? If you fancy your drink with a splash of robotics, you can now have your drink mixed by a robotic bartender. Perfect for social distancing measures, you can input your order without any human contact, choosing from a setmenu, or by combining ingredients to make your own concoction. Then just sit back and watch your drink be prepared with the precision of a robot.
Turin-based startup Makr Shakr (2014) have two robot arms called Toni and Bruno, and come with a whole bar set-up, complete with uplighting. You can even meet them in London, and Prague, in addition to their native Italy (check their interactive website map). Alternatively, meet Tallinn-based Yanu (2016), an autonomous bartending robot, who comes in white, black or red.
Black flies for dinner anyone? While many Eastern cultures consume insects without so much as a wince, the West still has far to go when it comes to breaking cultural norms. On a more palatable note for us humans, insects are being discussed as feed rather for animals, either as they are or dried for storage. Larvae also make high-quality compost, which helps farmers to improve their soil quality. The benefits of this industry post-COVID? Helping local farmers to become more reliant on their own resources, closing the regional cycles of animal feed, reducing logistical touch points, and making food production local rather than global.
One notable European startup leading this industry is Paris-based Ynsect (2011), who also plan to use the insects for fish food, and have so far landed around 155 million of funding. Their first fully-automated industrial facility will open in 2021, creating an entire production system modelled on a circular economy with zero-waste. Keep an eye out also for Munich-based FarmInsect (2019), who just closed a six-figure sum this June.
The idea behind fake meats is, for many, to not stop eating meat, but eat less of it. The environmental impact of a quarter-pound beef burger is 14.6 gallons of water, 13.5 pounds of feed and 64.5 square feet of land (crops included).
Lab-grown meat is created to have the look, taste and texture of meat, and sometimes even bleeds realistically. So how does it work? Stem cells are donated from animals, who are not harmed in the process,with themeat then grown in the lab.While meat-eaters and vegetarians alike might find this creepy, for many its an improvement on than the harm that comes to animals and the environment due to the meat industry.
Would you try something like this? Check out European startups like Dutch team Meatable (2018) if youd like to try the lab-grown meat, or for the fainter hearted there are fungi-based options by startups like Gothenburg-based Mycorena (2017). Alternatively, there are others like Spanish startup Cubiq Foods (2018) who are working on sustainable fats.
Unsurprisingly, the coronavirus crisis has added stress and anxiety to many peoples lives, whether that be due to the illness itself, or the uncertainty it has caused at work and home. The cannatech industry claims to offer a stress-free solution, using CBD, a strain of cannabis which has no known psychoactive effects. Thanks to this property, its possible to buy CBD-infused drinks, sweets and chewing gums to take the edge off the users worries, and simultaneously enjoy the previously underrated flavour of the cannabis plant.
Swiss startup Hempfy (2016) balances the herbal bitterness, a rich taste and light carbonation of low-CBD strains of cannabis, in wines, tonics, recharge water and oils. Going further than drinks, though, cannatech products also spread into the health and wellbeing sector, being used for lotions, pain relief and more.
To find out more about this topic, read our article 10 of the most promising European cannabis tech startups.
- The Top 10 Biotech Companies Brewing at... - Labiotech.eu - September 18th, 2020
- CRISPR Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2020-2027 | Leading Players Thermo Fisher Scientific, Editas Medicine, Caribou Biosciences, CRISPR... - September 18th, 2020
- Case 29-2020: A 66-Year-Old Man with Fever and Shortness of Breath after Liver Transplantation - nejm.org - September 18th, 2020
- Frequency Therapeutics Presents Results Demonstrating Sustained Improvement in Hearing Loss Patients Treated with FX-322 - Business Wire - September 18th, 2020
- Faulty exon splicing is cause of rare subtype of Parkinson's disease, pointing to new drug targets - BioWorld Online - September 15th, 2020
- Treating dogs diagnosed with GBM, getting Swedish patients back to work, orphan designation for improved radiotherapy drug plus gene therapy - Brain... - September 13th, 2020
- Histogen Announces Completion of Dosing Milestone in its 1b/2a Trial for Androgenic Alopecia in Men - StreetInsider.com - September 13th, 2020
- BeyondSpring (BYSI) Receives Breakthrough Therapy Designations from Both US FDA and China NMPA for Plinabulin in Chemotherapy-Induced Neutropenia... - September 8th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Impact of COVID-19 on Industry | Key Players: Kite Pharma... - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - StartupNG - August 31st, 2020
- Im Optimistic That We Will Have a COVID-19 Vaccine Soon - The Atlantic - August 31st, 2020
- Health insurance with maternity cover: All you need to know about features and inclusions - CNBCTV18 - August 31st, 2020
- Emerging Treatment Options of Regenerative Medicine in Severe Corona Virus/COVID 19 Infections - DocWire News - August 31st, 2020
- MaaT Pharma Announces Positive Data for Its Lead Microbiome Biotherapeutic MaaT013 in Intestinal Acute Graft-versus-Host-Disease at the Virtual 46th... - August 31st, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2020-2026 is Growing So Rapidly || Leading Players THERAPEUTICS, EXOCOBIO, Exopharm, AEGLE Therapeutics, United... - August 20th, 2020
- Inside the race to ditch formula and grow breast milk in the lab - Wired.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market: Rising Demand and Growth Opportunity - Owned - August 20th, 2020
- Health Spotlight: Have You Heard Of Dr. Jeffrey Tucker? - LATF USA - August 20th, 2020
- Viruses have big impacts on ecology and evolution as well as human health - The Economist - August 20th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) in Combination With Chemotherapy Significantly Improved Overall Survival and Progression-Free Survival Compared With... - August 20th, 2020
- Umbilical cord blood banking: Is it worth it? - mtltimes.ca - August 19th, 2020
- G1 Therapeutics Announces Acceptance and Priority Review of NDA for Trilaciclib for Patients with Small Cell Lung Cancer - GlobeNewswire - August 19th, 2020
- A question of scale the growing pains of cell-based meat - just-food.com - August 19th, 2020
- What do we need to know about our bone health during this pandemic - Times of India - August 19th, 2020
- Researcher John Craig Venter Is Awarded the 2020 Edogawa-NICHE Prize for His Accomplishment in Human Genome Research - Business Wire India - August 19th, 2020
- Cellect Biotechnology Ltd ADR (NASDAQ:APOP) Receives an Approval of a Pivotal Patent for Stem Cells Activation from the European Patent Office - BP... - August 13th, 2020
- A rapid, sensitive, and reproducible in vivo PBMC humanized murine model for determining therapeuticrelated cytokine release syndrome - Wiley - August 13th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Industry Market 2020 Explain What is the current size of the market? And key players analysis: Athersys,... - August 13th, 2020
- Dr. Park on the Benefits of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in ALL - OncLive - August 11th, 2020
- CELLECTAR BIOSCIENCES : Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - August 11th, 2020
- Trumps Unprecedented Attacks on Our Public-Health System - The New Yorker - August 11th, 2020
- New Report: Regenerative Medicine & Advanced Therapies Sector Thriving Despite COVID-19 - PharmiWeb.com - August 11th, 2020
- The NIU BODY Rebrand: millennials have grown up and so has their skin care - CosmeticsDesign.com USA - August 11th, 2020
- Embryos could be susceptible to COVID-19 from second week of pregnancy - Gulf News - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Latest News and Analysis - The New York Times - August 9th, 2020
- How to live longer: The health drink that reduces risk of Alzheimers and boosts longevity - Express - August 9th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - GlobeNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Research Report on Cell Theraputics Market by Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - August 5th, 2020
- Pediatrics in Brevard: Nothing beats the benefits of breastmilk for newborns - Florida Today - August 5th, 2020
- How can nanomedicine be applied to cannabis? - Leafly - August 5th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2027 - CueReport - August 5th, 2020
- FDA hands MorphoSys and Incyte a quick OK on their potential blockbuster CAR-T alternative - Endpoints News - August 5th, 2020
- Fighting for a life unlimited with the Cystic Fibrosis Trust - Health Europa - August 5th, 2020
- World Breastfeeding Week 2020: The Benefits Of Breastfeeding For Mother And Baby - News18 - August 5th, 2020
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market to grow significantly in future | Worthington Industries,Cesca Therapeutics,Shengjie Cryogenic Equipment... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2022 - Market Research Correspondent - August 3rd, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Synthetic Stem Cells Market Report 2020-2026 Research Insights 2020 Global Industry Outlook Shared in Detailed... - July 30th, 2020
- World's First Plant and Cell Based Bacon and Pork Belly - One Green Planet - July 30th, 2020
- FDA Approves New CAR-T Therapy for Mantle Cell Lymphoma - Cancer Health Treatment News - July 26th, 2020
- Of mice and SARS-CoV-2 - The Hindu - July 26th, 2020
- Ruxolitinib passes another PhIII test for graft-versus-host disease, a win for Incyte and Novartis - Endpoints News - July 24th, 2020
- Study finds the real reason you get goosebumps - Big Think - July 24th, 2020
- Harvard study finds that stem cell stimulation gives us goosebumps - New Atlas - July 24th, 2020
- Celltex Therapeutics Webinar | Houston, TX Patch - Patch.com - July 24th, 2020
- Bioreactors Market Forecast to 2027 Covid-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Product Class, Material, Cell ; Molecule ; Technology ; End User, and... - July 24th, 2020
- Association of TNF- Gene Expression and Release in Response to | DMSO - Dove Medical Press - July 24th, 2020
- 'Missing link': Bayer, Morningside help catapult a new kind of delivery tech to cell and gene therapy - Endpoints News - July 24th, 2020
- Regulation of advanced therapy medicinal products in the EU - Regulatory Focus - July 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus Drug and Treatment Tracker - The New York Times - July 18th, 2020
- UCSD Researchers Discover and Manipulate Different Aging Processes in Cells - Times of San Diego - July 18th, 2020
- Restorative therapies for erectile dysfunction: Where are we at in 2020? - Urology Times - July 18th, 2020
- Flow Cytometry Market Size Forecast to Reach $6.71 Billion by 2025 - Reported Times - July 18th, 2020
- Cryopreservation Equipments in Stem Cells Market Innovative Technology Growth, Business Strategies and Trend 2027 - Owned - July 16th, 2020
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market Break Down By Leading Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities And Forecast 2020-2026... - July 16th, 2020
- 7 Benefits of Bee Pollen - What Are the Benefits of Bee Pollen - Prevention.com - July 14th, 2020
- Pancreatic cancer hides from the immune system by destroying the cell's danger signal - Massive Science - July 14th, 2020
- Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCs) and Cancer Stem Cells (CSCs) Market 2020 Size By Product Types, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Growth Potential, Price... - July 10th, 2020
- Fate Therapeutics Announces FDA Clearance of IND Application for First-ever iPSC-derived CAR T-Cell Therapy - StreetInsider.com - July 10th, 2020
- Fasting is not starvation or a fad, it is a discipline: Luke Coutinho - The Indian Express - July 10th, 2020
- FDA Approves Talaris Therapeutics' IND for Its Allogeneic Cell Therapy FCR001 to Be Evaluated in Patients With a Severe Form of Scleroderma -... - July 10th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics and MolMed Announce Extension of Gene Therapy Manufacturing Collaboration - BioSpace - July 10th, 2020
- Blood factors transfer beneficial effects of exercise on neurogenesis and cognition to the aged brain - Science Magazine - July 10th, 2020
- Ziopharm Oncology Announces Initiation of Phase 1 Trial Evaluating Rapid Personalized Manufacturing CAR-T Technology in Patients with Relapsed CD19+... - July 10th, 2020
- Benefits of Ashwagandha tea and how to make it - TheHealthSite - July 10th, 2020
- Live Cell Imaging Market Poised for Steady Growth in the Future 2020-2024 - Jewish Life News - July 10th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028: Leading Key Players Kite Pharma, Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - July 8th, 2020
- One common infection could kill our baby girl but one simple act could change her life forever - The Sun - July 8th, 2020
- Multidrug Combinations and CAR T-Cell Therapies for Heavily Pretreated Multiple Myeloma Shine at ASCO - Targeted Oncology - July 8th, 2020
- Vitamin P: Overview, Benefits, and More - Healthline - July 8th, 2020
- How COVID-19 Pandemic Will Impact Australia & New Zealand Research Antibodies Market Business Opportunity, And Growth 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020