On July 24, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted accelerated approval of a new CAR-T therapy, Tecartus (brexucabtagene autoleucel), for adults with mantle cell lymphoma who have not responded to or who have relapsed after other kinds of treatment.
Tecartus (formerly known as KTE-X19), manufactured by Kite, a Gilead Company, is a living drug that reprograms a patients own T cells to fight cancer. About two thirds of participants treated in the ZUMA-2 study experienced complete remission, which in a majority of cases lasted at least a year.
"This approval is yet another example of customized treatments that use a patients own immune system to help fight cancer, Peter Marks, MD, PhD, director of the FDAs Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, said in a press release. Were seeing continued advances in the field of gene therapy and remain committed to supporting innovation in this promising new area of medicine.
Mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) is an uncommon form of non-Hodgkinlymphoma that involves overgrowth of abnormal B cells in lymph nodes. By the time it is diagnosed, MCL has often spread to the bone marrow and other organs, and it is frequently refractory (nonresponsive) to existing treatments or relapses following a period of remission.
Chimeric antigen receptor T-cell therapybetter known as CAR-Tinvolves removing a sample of a patients white blood cells, genetically reprogramming the T cells to recognize and attack their cancer, manufacturing a large number of the modified cells in a laboratory and infusing them back into the body. Like Kites previously approved CAR-T Yescarta (axicabtagene ciloleucel), Tecartus targets the CD19 protein on B cells, but the manufacturing process includes greater T-cell selection and lymphocyte enrichment.
The Phase II ZUMA-2 trial enrolled 74 adults with relapsed or refractory MCL in the United States and Europe who had previously tried up to five prior therapies. Six people ended up not receiving Tecartus because of manufacturing failures or death due to disease progression.
The primary analysis included 60 treated participants. Most were men, and the median age was 65. Most had Stage IV metastatic cancer, more than 80% had tried three or more prior treatments and 43% had received a bone marrow stem cell transplant.
A sample of the patients T cells were collected and modified, and they received strong conditioning chemotherapy to kill off some of their existing immune cells to make room for the new ones. They then received a single infusion of the genetically engineered cells.
As described at last years American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting and in The New England Journal of Medicine, the overall response rate, meaning complete or partial remission, was 93%, including 67% with complete responses. After a year of follow-up, 57% were still in remission, as were 43% of those followed for two years. The estimated one-year progression-free survival rate was 61%, and the estimated overall survival rate was 83%.
In a press release announcing the approval, Gilead/Kite gave an updated overall response rate of 87% and a complete response rate of 62%.
Therapies that receive FDA accelerated approval based on overall response rates are expected to undergo further testing in larger trials to confirm clinical benefits, and the agencycan rescind approval if they do not measure up. Tecartus is also currently in Phase I/II trials for acute lymphoblastic leukemia and chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
Treatment with Tecartus was generally safe. The most common severe adverse events were low blood cell counts due to the conditioning chemotherapy and infections. Introducing engineered T cells can trigger a strong immune reaction known as cytokine release syndrome (CRS), which can lead to falling blood pressure and organ failure. As previously reported, 15% of study participants experienced Grade 3 or higher CRS, and 31% developed severe neurological side effects. Based on a larger group of patients, Gilead/Kite updated these figures to 18% and 37%, respectively. These side effects were managed with corticosteroids or Actemra (tocilizumab), and none were fatal.
A risk evaluation and mitigation strategy (REMS) for Tecartus has been approved by the FDA and combined with the YescartaREMS (www.YescartaTecartusREMS.com). This program informs health care professionals about the risks associated with CAR-T therapy and how to manage it.
Tecartus will be produced at Kites commercial manufacturing facility in El Segundo, California. The median turnaround time from T-cell collection to administration of the modified cells is around 15 days, according to the press release. The Kite Konnectprogram offers financial and logistical support for eligible patients receiving Tecartus or Yescarta.
Despite promising advances, there are still major gaps in treatment for patients with MCL who progress following initial therapy, ZUMA-2 lead investigator Michael Wang, MD, of University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, said in the press release. Many patients have high-risk disease and are more likely to keep progressing, even after subsequent treatments. The availability of Tecartus as the first-ever cell therapy for patients with relapsed/refractory MCL provides an important option with a response rate of nearly 90% and early clinical evidence suggesting durable remissions in later lines of therapy.
Click here to learn more about lymphoma.
Read the original:
- Top Benefits of Stem Cell Therapy Know Your Health - September 26th, 2020
- 10 Benefits of a Stem Cell Treatment | Advanced Sports ... - September 26th, 2020
- New Data Highlights BeyondSpring's Plinabulin as a Highly Effective Agent for Preventing Chemotherapy-Induced Neutropenia, with Potential to Reduce... - September 26th, 2020
- Virtual Castellvi Spine Week 2: Living Cells and Therapies - https://ryortho.com/ - September 26th, 2020
- Get Up to Speed On the State of Eco-Fashion - NEO.LIFE - September 26th, 2020
- Global Cell Culture Market and Technology Forecast 2020-2028 - Global Market Forecast to Reach USD 48 Billion for 2028 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - September 24th, 2020
- Advances in the Treatment of Mantle Cell Lymphoma are Greatly Improving the Long-Term Outlook for Patients - Curetoday.com - September 24th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market is Anticipate to Reach at a CAGR of 5.5% during the forecast period - PharmiWeb.com - September 24th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Pharmaceuticals Announce Priority Medicines (PRIME) Designation Granted by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) to... - September 24th, 2020
- Lab-grown meat: The promising alternative that may be years away from appearing on dinner plates - PitchBook News & Analysis - September 24th, 2020
- Bioprinted therapeutic offers novel solution for treating Type 1 Diabetes - Canada NewsWire - September 24th, 2020
- Yulong to List its Securitized Token on CryptoSX - BioSpace - September 24th, 2020
- 10 Top Stem Cell Companies on the NASDAQ | INN - Investing News Network - September 22nd, 2020
- The Anti-aging Benefits of Using Growth Factors Plus Retinol - Coveteur - September 22nd, 2020
- Alexion Receives CHMP Positive Opinion for New Advanced Formulation of ULTOMIRIS (ravulizumab) with Significantly Reduced Infusion Time - Business... - September 22nd, 2020
- Why Celebs and Athletes Are Embracing Blood Flow Restriction Training - menshealth.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Yulong to Issue the Worlds' First Biotech Securitized Token Offering - StreetInsider.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Market trends and outlook coupled with factors driving and restraining the growth of the CRISPR Genome Editing market - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- COVID is shifting the conversation about the medical application of CBD - Open Access Government - September 22nd, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Reduced the Risk of Distant Metastasis or Death by 40% Versus Placebo as Adjuvant Treatment in Resected, High-Risk... - September 22nd, 2020
- Regenerative Therapy by Dr. Roshni Patel on Better CT - Farmington, CT - Patch.com - September 20th, 2020
- Four-Year Data Continue to Show Superior, Long-Term Survival Benefit with Opdivo (nivolumab) Plus Yervoy (ipilimumab) in Patients with Previously... - September 20th, 2020
- The Top 10 Biotech Companies Brewing at... - Labiotech.eu - September 18th, 2020
- CRISPR Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2020-2027 | Leading Players Thermo Fisher Scientific, Editas Medicine, Caribou Biosciences, CRISPR... - September 18th, 2020
- Case 29-2020: A 66-Year-Old Man with Fever and Shortness of Breath after Liver Transplantation - nejm.org - September 18th, 2020
- Frequency Therapeutics Presents Results Demonstrating Sustained Improvement in Hearing Loss Patients Treated with FX-322 - Business Wire - September 18th, 2020
- Faulty exon splicing is cause of rare subtype of Parkinson's disease, pointing to new drug targets - BioWorld Online - September 15th, 2020
- Treating dogs diagnosed with GBM, getting Swedish patients back to work, orphan designation for improved radiotherapy drug plus gene therapy - Brain... - September 13th, 2020
- Histogen Announces Completion of Dosing Milestone in its 1b/2a Trial for Androgenic Alopecia in Men - StreetInsider.com - September 13th, 2020
- BeyondSpring (BYSI) Receives Breakthrough Therapy Designations from Both US FDA and China NMPA for Plinabulin in Chemotherapy-Induced Neutropenia... - September 8th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Impact of COVID-19 on Industry | Key Players: Kite Pharma... - September 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - StartupNG - August 31st, 2020
- Im Optimistic That We Will Have a COVID-19 Vaccine Soon - The Atlantic - August 31st, 2020
- Health insurance with maternity cover: All you need to know about features and inclusions - CNBCTV18 - August 31st, 2020
- Emerging Treatment Options of Regenerative Medicine in Severe Corona Virus/COVID 19 Infections - DocWire News - August 31st, 2020
- MaaT Pharma Announces Positive Data for Its Lead Microbiome Biotherapeutic MaaT013 in Intestinal Acute Graft-versus-Host-Disease at the Virtual 46th... - August 31st, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2020-2026 is Growing So Rapidly || Leading Players THERAPEUTICS, EXOCOBIO, Exopharm, AEGLE Therapeutics, United... - August 20th, 2020
- Inside the race to ditch formula and grow breast milk in the lab - Wired.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market: Rising Demand and Growth Opportunity - Owned - August 20th, 2020
- Health Spotlight: Have You Heard Of Dr. Jeffrey Tucker? - LATF USA - August 20th, 2020
- Viruses have big impacts on ecology and evolution as well as human health - The Economist - August 20th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) in Combination With Chemotherapy Significantly Improved Overall Survival and Progression-Free Survival Compared With... - August 20th, 2020
- Umbilical cord blood banking: Is it worth it? - mtltimes.ca - August 19th, 2020
- G1 Therapeutics Announces Acceptance and Priority Review of NDA for Trilaciclib for Patients with Small Cell Lung Cancer - GlobeNewswire - August 19th, 2020
- A question of scale the growing pains of cell-based meat - just-food.com - August 19th, 2020
- What do we need to know about our bone health during this pandemic - Times of India - August 19th, 2020
- Researcher John Craig Venter Is Awarded the 2020 Edogawa-NICHE Prize for His Accomplishment in Human Genome Research - Business Wire India - August 19th, 2020
- Cellect Biotechnology Ltd ADR (NASDAQ:APOP) Receives an Approval of a Pivotal Patent for Stem Cells Activation from the European Patent Office - BP... - August 13th, 2020
- A rapid, sensitive, and reproducible in vivo PBMC humanized murine model for determining therapeuticrelated cytokine release syndrome - Wiley - August 13th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Industry Market 2020 Explain What is the current size of the market? And key players analysis: Athersys,... - August 13th, 2020
- Dr. Park on the Benefits of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in ALL - OncLive - August 11th, 2020
- CELLECTAR BIOSCIENCES : Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - August 11th, 2020
- Trumps Unprecedented Attacks on Our Public-Health System - The New Yorker - August 11th, 2020
- New Report: Regenerative Medicine & Advanced Therapies Sector Thriving Despite COVID-19 - PharmiWeb.com - August 11th, 2020
- The NIU BODY Rebrand: millennials have grown up and so has their skin care - CosmeticsDesign.com USA - August 11th, 2020
- Embryos could be susceptible to COVID-19 from second week of pregnancy - Gulf News - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Latest News and Analysis - The New York Times - August 9th, 2020
- How to live longer: The health drink that reduces risk of Alzheimers and boosts longevity - Express - August 9th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - GlobeNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Research Report on Cell Theraputics Market by Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - August 5th, 2020
- Pediatrics in Brevard: Nothing beats the benefits of breastmilk for newborns - Florida Today - August 5th, 2020
- How can nanomedicine be applied to cannabis? - Leafly - August 5th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2027 - CueReport - August 5th, 2020
- FDA hands MorphoSys and Incyte a quick OK on their potential blockbuster CAR-T alternative - Endpoints News - August 5th, 2020
- Fighting for a life unlimited with the Cystic Fibrosis Trust - Health Europa - August 5th, 2020
- World Breastfeeding Week 2020: The Benefits Of Breastfeeding For Mother And Baby - News18 - August 5th, 2020
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market to grow significantly in future | Worthington Industries,Cesca Therapeutics,Shengjie Cryogenic Equipment... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2022 - Market Research Correspondent - August 3rd, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Synthetic Stem Cells Market Report 2020-2026 Research Insights 2020 Global Industry Outlook Shared in Detailed... - July 30th, 2020
- World's First Plant and Cell Based Bacon and Pork Belly - One Green Planet - July 30th, 2020
- Of mice and SARS-CoV-2 - The Hindu - July 26th, 2020
- Ruxolitinib passes another PhIII test for graft-versus-host disease, a win for Incyte and Novartis - Endpoints News - July 24th, 2020
- Study finds the real reason you get goosebumps - Big Think - July 24th, 2020
- Harvard study finds that stem cell stimulation gives us goosebumps - New Atlas - July 24th, 2020
- Celltex Therapeutics Webinar | Houston, TX Patch - Patch.com - July 24th, 2020
- Bioreactors Market Forecast to 2027 Covid-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Product Class, Material, Cell ; Molecule ; Technology ; End User, and... - July 24th, 2020
- Association of TNF- Gene Expression and Release in Response to | DMSO - Dove Medical Press - July 24th, 2020
- 'Missing link': Bayer, Morningside help catapult a new kind of delivery tech to cell and gene therapy - Endpoints News - July 24th, 2020
- Regulation of advanced therapy medicinal products in the EU - Regulatory Focus - July 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus Drug and Treatment Tracker - The New York Times - July 18th, 2020