by Manasi Vaidya in New York.
Fate TherapeuticsandCelyadsnatural killer (NK) cell biology-focused cell therapies could overcome cell persistence challenges and consequent efficacy concerns with redosing strategies, experts said.
One of Fate Therapeutics lead products, FT596, is an allogeneic, multitargeted, chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) NK cell product. Celyads autologous CYAD-01 and CYAD-02 and allogeneic CYAD-101 are CAR T cell products using NK cell specificity to target T-cells. One analyst considered the potential to redose allogeneic products as a key item to consider while assessing clinical potential. While clinical data establishing the additive efficacy advantages of giving multiple doses is still preliminary, redosing allogeneic products could increase their expansion and persistence, experts said. Autologous therapies carry source constraints, so the ability to manufacture and administer allogeneic therapies is an advantage, they said.
While past NK cell therapy data has been mixed, experts saw potential in CAR NKs like FT596 or CAR T-cell products engineered to express NKG2D like CYAD-101, given the advancements in cell production.
Phase I FT596 results in B-cell lymphomas/ CLL are expected at either the American Society of Hematology (ASH) meeting in December or an investor meeting in early 2021, as per a second analyst report. Phase I data for CYAD-01 and CYAD-02 in relapsed/refractory (r/r) acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) and myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) are expected by YE20, as per the companys August corporate presentation. Celyads allogeneic CYAD-101 is being tested in a Phase I alloSHRINK trial (NCT03692429) in metastatic colorectal cancer (CRC), which has a primary completion date of November 2020.
FT596s sales are expected to reach $136m in 2026, according to a GlobalData Consensus forecast. Celyad did not respond to a request for comment.
Increasing the persistence of cell therapies once they are infused into a patient has been a challenge, especially with NK cell-based therapies, experts said. The issue of persistence and consequent efficacy is significant because the potential efficacy with Celyad and Fate Therapeutics platforms remains largely unknown, they added.
Because the immune system can recognise foreign cells, cell products would not last for more than a few weeks, said Dr Marco Davila, medical oncologist, in the Department of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida. With CAR T-cell therapies, the expansion and persistence of CAR cells are said to correlate with the durability of response, said Dr David Sallman, assistant member, Department of Malignant Hematology, Moffitt Cancer Center.
Strategies involving multiple doses of cell therapies could maximise the total dose, improve duration, and increase efficacy magnitude with both autologous and allogeneic cell therapies, said Dr Tara Lin, associate professor of medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City. Multiple infusions of therapy could also potentially lead to complete remission, said Sallman. In Fate Therapeutics Phase I FT500 (NCT03841110) study, patients had been given up to six doses of the therapy, which was not found to be toxic, according to Fate Therapeutics CEO Scott Wolchko. Redosing has the potential to offer multiple infusions as maintenance therapy, said Dr Jeffrey Miller, professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.
The persistence of allogeneic therapies is not well understood, and it is unknown how long cells need to persist to be effective or whether persisting cells confer durability of response, said Wolchko. Giving multiple doses is one way to overcome the lack of persistence if it is an important factor for efficacy, he said. In a 4Q19 call, the FDA said it was allowing the dose to be repeated on a patient-by-patient basis, Wolchko said. In the alloSHRINK study, CYAD-101 is administered three times with a two-week interval between each administration in metastatic CRC, as per ClinicalTrials.gov.
However, even if the engineered cells do not persist in the body, the response rate and ability to eradicate the disease should not be limited, said Davila. With a limited lifespan, allogeneic cell therapies would dissipate as the patients immune system recovers, said Dan Kaufman. With the incorporation of interleukin (IL)-12 or IL-15 into the cell product, the cell therapy could persist without exogenous cytokines, said Kaufman. The FT596 construct contains an IL-15 fusion protein.
Experts cited the data from a Phase I / II (NCT03056339) investigator-led effort at MD Anderson Cancer Center using cord blood-derived anti-CD19 CAR NK cells as an example of an effective CAR NK therapy. The study by Rezvani and colleagues showed a persistence challenge did not seem to hamper the response, because once a critical threshold for cell expansion is crossed, the activity can be mediated, Davila said. Eleven r/r patients with CD19-positive cancers, such as non-Hodgkins lymphoma or CLL, were treated with a single infusion; eight had a response, including seven with a complete remission (Rezvani et al.  N Engl J Med, 382, pp. 545553). Even if the cells do not persist, they expand to sufficient levels to eradicate the disease before they are lost, Davila added.
In the Phase I THINK(NCT03018405) CYAD-01 data, decreased bone marrow blasts were observed in eight patients, including five objective responses and one stable disease for three or more months, as per the company presentation. Responding patients did have blast clearances, but some of the remissions were short-lived and the cells did not persist in the system, said Sallman. However, the short hairpin (sh) ribonucleic acid (RNA) technology employed CYAD-02, which could increase persistence and expansion, said Sallman (Fontaine et al., Blood, 134[Suppl 1], p. 3931). ShRNA technology allows T cell engineering without the need for gene editing to inhibit alloreactivity and increase persistence, according to Celyad.
Ongoing research on improving preconditioning regimens by combining additional drugs could also help with the persistence of allogeneic products, said Davila. It is not known whether every dose needs a conditioning regimen, but since conditioning regimens can suppress a patients immune system for several months, it may not be necessary before every therapy infusion, he added.
Patients will not have to receive a preconditioning regimen before every cell infusion, said Wolchko, adding redosing FT500 was found to be safe. Celyads protocol does not specify the preconditioning strategy for redosing. No predictive biomarkers are available to explain why some patients respond well and others do not, said Sallman, adding it is critical to identify potential responders. Nonetheless, there is no way to predict clinical efficacy based only on preclinical data, so data is still needed, said Miller.
The economic advantage to developing off-the-shelf therapies has driven interest in NK-cell based platforms, said Miller and Davila. If quick treatment is needed, then an allogeneic NK cell therapy would be better than an autologous therapy, which may take up to six weeks to manufacture, said Sallman. While the results with autologous CAR T-cell therapies have been significant, their scale-up and costs are challenging, said Kaufman. Related Report
Latest report from Visit GlobalData Store
The ability to use induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSCs) or cord blood cells as a source would help scale up the cell manufacture and allow effective results, said Kaufman. iPSCs provide advancement in expansion protocols, which can provide multiple doses, Miller added. Fate Therapeutics has an iPSC-derived NK cell franchise. Also, since T cell therapies require donor apheresis to collect cells in a process lasting four to five hours, it is not feasible to keep going back to the same donor, said Miller.
Moreover, newer platforms are expected to improve on past NK cell therapy trials, specifically those showing mixed efficacy. Past studies had feasibility limitations in getting the required number of cells, said Miller. Those small studies were conducted at a time when cell isolation and production systems were not as advanced as they are now, said Davila.
Manasi Vaidya is a Senior Reporter for Clinical Trials Arena parent company GlobalDatas investigative journalism team. A version of this article originally appeared on the Insights module of GlobalDatas Pharmaceutical Intelligence Center. To access more articles like this, visit GlobalData.
Latest report from Visit GlobalData Store
Development Services and Programmes for Healthcare Companies
Process Innovation in Vacuum Drying and Vacuum Pumps
Milling Systems for Pharmaceutical Powders and Granulates
- Trends Of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2027 - The Market Feed - December 3rd, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: Chart, Worthington Industries,... - December 3rd, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market | Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2026 - Khabar South... - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Expansion Projected to Gain an Uptick During 2020-2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Growth and Current Status of Industry Surveyed in New Research Report | (2020-2027) - The... - December 3rd, 2020
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Growth, Analysis of Key Players, Trends, Drivers - Khabar South Asia - December 1st, 2020
- Placental Stem Cells (PSCS) Market 2020-2027 to Show Tremendous Growth || Leading Players StemCyte India Therapeutics Pvt. Ltd, PerkinElmer Inc,... - December 1st, 2020
- Vitalant to Hold Blood Donation Event on December 5 in Freehold - TAPinto.net - December 1st, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market is Driven by Increasing Incidence of Chronic Diseases and Life-threatening Diseases - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- The roles bone marrow plays in the body - Therogersvillereview - November 28th, 2020
- Revenue from the Sales of Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to Witness Relatively Significant Growth During 2017 2025 - Canaan Mountain... - November 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market is estimated to account for US$ 18289.9 Mn by end of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI) - Business Wire - November 25th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking emerges as a lifesaver - India Education Diary - November 25th, 2020
- Septic shock and pneumonia triggered by SARS-CoV-2 could be treated by radiation-activated MSCs - News-Medical.Net - November 25th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking saves life of child with aplastic anaemia - The Hindu - November 20th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market by Product Type, End User and by Region-Trends and Forecast to 2026|China Cord Blood Corp, CBR... - November 20th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Share, Growth by Top Company, Region, Application, Driver, Trends & Forecasts by 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 20th, 2020
- As California Passes Prop 14, What Is Stem Cell Research and Why Is It Controversial? - Newsweek - November 14th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Kite Pharma Inc.,... - November 14th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market size and Key Trends in terms of - News by aeresearch - November 14th, 2020
- Spinal Fusion Market Size and Forecasts Research Report 2020-2026 - TechnoWeekly - November 14th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to witness an impressive growth during the forecast period 2020 2025 - Express Journal - November 11th, 2020
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) Market Trends Research Report Analysis Revealing Key Drivers & Growth Trends through 2027 -... - November 11th, 2020
- It's time for Kentucky to talk to expectant parents about benefits of cord blood banking - Courier Journal - November 10th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market 2020 Emerging Trend and Advancement - News by aeresearch - November 8th, 2020
- Cord Blood Banking Market Technological Innovations And Future Opportunities 202 - Fractovia News - November 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030 - PRnews Leader - November 6th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market Size, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2025 - AlgosOnline - November 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Key Development Trends, and Growth Projection to 2027 - Stock Market Vista - November 6th, 2020
- Global Biopreservation Market Will Experience A Noticeable Growth During The Forecast Period 2019-2026||BioLifeSolutions Inc., Lifeline Scientific,... - November 6th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market New Investments Expected to boost the Demand by 2025 - The Daily Philadelphian - November 6th, 2020
- California Prop. 14: What to know about the stem cell measure - Los Angeles Times - November 4th, 2020
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Size and Growth Factors Research and Projection 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- How Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information,... - October 29th, 2020
- Thawing Equipment Market 2020 With Covid-19 Impact on Industry Share, Size, Emerging Technologies, Future Trends, Competitive Analysis | Thermo Fisher... - October 29th, 2020
- Covid-19 Imapct On Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market : Growth, Segmentation Analysis By Application And Regions To 2025 | Chart,... - October 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Market 2020; Region Wise Analysis of Top Players - News by aeresearch - October 28th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2020-2025 - Eurowire - October 28th, 2020
- Cynata looking to revolutionise stem cell therapy - The West Australian - October 28th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Systems Market: Increasing demand for stem cell transplantation along with stem cell-based therapy to drive the market - BioSpace - October 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Market-Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Storage Services, Therapeutics, Application, and Region -... - October 24th, 2020
- Washington blood donors urged to help amid surge in hospital usage - Seattle PI - October 24th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2026 | XX% CAGR Projection Over the Next Five Years, Predicts Market Research Future with Market Size & Growth Key... - October 22nd, 2020
- Cord Blood Banking Market 2020 Regional Growth Drivers, Opportunities, Trends, and Forecasts to 2025 - News by Decresearch - October 20th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Growth 2020-2026 : Advanced Cell Technology, California Stem Cell, Cytori Therapeutics - Illadel Graff Supply - October 20th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market 2020 is predicted to rise with a CAGR of XX% by 2026 | Including Growth Prospect, Market Size & Growth, Key Vendors, Top most... - October 20th, 2020
- Biopreservation Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future - PRnews Leader - October 20th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 18th, 2020
- Explained: How Indias First-Ever Saviour-Sibling Born Through ART Saved Life Of Brother With Thalassemia - Swarajya - October 17th, 2020
- Blood donors needed to keep blood supply stocked for local patients - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - October 17th, 2020
- A sister born to save ailing brother - The Hindu - October 17th, 2020
- An Indian Baby 'Savior Sibling' Just Gave Her Brother Bone Marrow. But Is It Ethical? - The Swaddle - October 17th, 2020
- CAR T-cell Therapies for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia - OncoZine - October 17th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Industry Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Research Store Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive... - October 12th, 2020
- How They Voted | News | register-herald.com - Beckley Register-Herald - October 10th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Analysis of Key Vendors with Their Size, Share and Year-over-Year Growth 2027 - Press Release -... - October 10th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market to eyewitness massive growth by 2026 | Escape Therapeutics Inc., Cryo-Save AG, Regen Biopharma... - October 5th, 2020
- Global Placental Stem Cell Collection and Storage Market 2020 with COVID-19 After Effects Growth Drivers, Top Key Players, Industry Segments and... - October 5th, 2020
- How Maine's members of Congress voted this week - Bangor Daily News - October 5th, 2020
- UC Davis Engineers Lead $36M Effort to Improve Recovery From Spinal Cord Injuries - UC Davis - October 5th, 2020
- Congress Votes | News - The Albany Herald - October 5th, 2020
- Here's how area members of Congress voted - Mansfield News Journal - October 5th, 2020
- Bloodworks Northwest now testing all whole blood donations for COVID-19 antibodies - The B-Town (Burien) Blog - The B-Town Blog - October 5th, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Cord Blood Banking Services Market 2020-2026 Major Opportunities, Key Insights and Top Companies CBR Systems, Cordlife, Stemcyte,... - September 29th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market Primary Research, Secondary Research, Product Research, Trends And Forecast By 2026- Kite Pharma Inc., Thermo... - September 29th, 2020
- North America to Continue with its leading Streak in the Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market - The Market Records - September 28th, 2020
- National Marrow Donor Program/Be The Match Urges Congress to Quickly Pass Reauthorization Bill to Protect Access to Life Saving Bone Marrow and Cord... - September 28th, 2020
- Biopreservation Market Size to grow significantly during the forecast period 2020 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Biopreservation Market to Achieve Significant Growth in the Near Future - The Daily Chronicle - September 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2020-2027 | Leading Players Osiris Therapeutics, Medipost Co., Anterogen Co., Pharmicell... - September 18th, 2020
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2019 Global Analysis, Research, Review, Applications and Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- STEM CELL BANKING Market Outlook, Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2020-2026 - The Research Process - September 16th, 2020
- Full House and Senate should reauthorize the C.W. Bill Young Cell Transplantation Program | TheHill - The Hill - September 16th, 2020
- Boy, 4, who defied the odds to twice beat leukaemia enjoys first day of school - The Sun - September 16th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to Witness a Substantiation between 2017 and 2025 - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- FDA Approves Study to Investigate the Use of Cell Therapy to Treat COVID-19 Related Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) - BioSpace - September 16th, 2020
- Lotus childbirth: All you need to know about the new birthing trend - Times of India - September 16th, 2020
- Cord Blood Banking Top Companies Growth With Top Players| Recovey From Covid 19 - TC BizNews - September 13th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Research Store Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive... - September 13th, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market: How Top Leading Companies Can Make This Smart Strategy Work - The Daily Chronicle - September 13th, 2020