GELEEN, Netherlands, Nov. 17, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Dutch clinical phase biotech Neuroplast raised a total of 10 million (US$ 11.5 million) in funding from investors Lumana Invest, Brightlands Venture Partners, LIOF, and from the Innovation Credit from the Netherlands Enterprise Agency, to further advance the clinical development of a transformative treatment for Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury (TSCI). Neuroplast will use this Series B funding to obtain conditional EMA market approval for its Neuro-Cells stem cell therapy.
Annually, approximately 29,000 people across Europe and the USA suffer from acute Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury (TSCI), for which effective treatment is currently unavailable. Patients usually experience life-long disability and dependence, with a negative impact on quality of life. Furthermore, associated costs for society at large are estimated at over 11.4 billion ($13 billion) per year.
With the aim of giving back perspective to people that suffer from primarily inflammation-driven neurological disorders, Neuroplast has developed Neuro-Cells, a treatment that uses the patient's own stem cells to prevent (further) loss of function during the acute phase after sustaining damage to the spinal cord, to save mobility and independence.
Marcel Kloosterman, Managing Partner at Brightlands Venture Partners (BVP), states:
"The science behind Neuroplast's technology platform is truly groundbreaking.A future in which patients can make smart use of their own cells to put a stop to further neurological damages and improve potential regeneration is getting closer and closer.For BVP it is a thrill to be part of that fascinating journey."
Neuroplast acquired a GMP1 license and received a European Orphan Designation2 that allows fast-track development. Furthermore, it has already successfully completed a clinical Phase I trial, in collaboration with Hospital Nacional de Parapljicos in Spain, that confirmed safety and tolerability, without product-related adverse events. The Dutch Limburg-based biotech is currently preparing for an international multi-center randomized placebo-controlled Phase II study.
Tys van Elk, Director at LIOF, adds:
"Our mission is to move together towards a smarter, more sustainable, and healthier Limburg. We are pleased to see that the life sciences and health ecosystem in Limburg is a successful breeding ground for innovative companies like Neuroplast, that can really make impact."
Neuroplast will use the 10M (US$ 11.5M) Series B funding to take the next steps towards conditional EMA market approval for TSCI, which includes running Phase II and III trials, consulting the EMA and executing a Health Technology Assessment.
Next to the funded pathway for TSCI, Neuroplast aspires to explore applicability of the Neuro-Cellstechnology platform to other therapeutic areas.
Wim Smit, Managing Director at Lumana Invest, comments:
"We are not only excited about the clinical progress of Neuro-Cells treatment for TSCI, but also about the outlook of the technology to other conditions, such as Traumatic Brain Injury."
Vincent The, Chief Financial Officer at Neuroplast, concludes:
"This funding enables us to complete the Neuro-Cells development pathway for TSCI. With the recent successful completion of our Phase I study, we now have both a good clinical as well as a solid financial foundation in place. This puts us in a great position to start exploring the broader potential of the Neuro-Cells technology platform for other primarily inflammation-driven neurological disorders. For these activities, we are seeking complementary investment."
About Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
Acute TSCI causes incurable impairment to the spinal cord, affecting approximately 12,000 people across Europe and 17,000 across the USA annually. The damage or trauma interrupts communication of the brain with the body regions below the site of injury. Spinal cord injuries are mainly caused by accidents and - in most of the cases - result in life-long loss of control of motor functions and sensations. After the primary injury to the spinal cord, a cascade of events leads to progressive loss of tissue which may further deteriorate the patient's prognosis. Current treatment approaches for TSCI are only symptomatic, leaving the underlying pathophysiology unchanged.
TSCI has a serious impact on the quality of life of patients, with severe implications on mobility and loss of independence. In addition, TSCI creates a lifetime financial burden for patients, payors, healthcare systems and societies at large.
Neuro-Cells is a transformative treatment under GMP in the crucial first phase after sustaining TSCI, during which the irreversible impact of TSCI can be radically reduced. It contains non-substantially manipulated bone marrow-derived hematopoietic and mesenchymal stem cells, manufactured from a patient's own bone marrow (donor and receiver are the same person). Inflammatory inducing components and pathogens are removed during this process.
Neuroplast is a Dutch stem cell technology company focusing on fast-track development programs using autologous cell products for treatment of primarily inflammation-driven neurological disorders, with the aim of giving back perspective to people who suffer from those conditions.
The company was founded in August 2014 by physician Johannes de Munter and neurologist Erik Wolters. Current investors are Lumana Invest, Brightlands Venture Partners, LIOF and the Netherlands Enterprise Agency. Neuroplast is located in Brightlands Chemelot Campus in The Netherlands.
About Lumana Invest
Investment company Lumana was established by entrepreneurs and unique due to not having a predetermined investment horizon. The Lumana founders showcase strong commitment to their portfolio companies by actively supporting management in strategic decision making.
About Brightlands Venture Partners
Brightlands Venture Partners is the fund manager of BVP Fund IV and is a so-called ecosystem investor. BVP invests in companies benefiting from and contributing to the Brightlands campuses in the south of The Netherlands. Other funds under management are Chemelot Ventures, Brightlands Agrifood Fund and Limburg Ventures. BVP Fund IV focuses on sustainability and health and is the successor fund of the 2014 vintage Chemelot Ventures; together the funds have made over 40 investments.
LIOF is the regional development agency for Limburg and supports innovative entrepreneurs with advice, network and financing. Together with entrepreneurs and partners, LIOF is working towards a smarter, more sustainable and healthier Limburg by focusing on the transitions of energy, circularity, health and digitalization.
About The Netherlands Enterprise Agency
The Netherlands Enterprise Agency operates under the auspices of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy. It facilitates entrepreneurship, improves collaborations, strengthens positions and helps realize national and international ambitions with funding, networking, know-how and compliance with laws and regulations.
Forward looking statements
All statements other than statements of historical facts, including the statements about the clinical and therapeutic potential and future clinical milestones of Neuro-Cells, the indications we intend to pursue and our possible clinical or other business strategies, and the timing of these events, are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements can be identified by terms such as "believes", "expects", "plans", "potential", "would" or similar expressions and the negative of those terms. These forward-looking statements are based on our management's current beliefs and assumptions about future events and on information currently available to management. Neuroplast B.V. does not make any representation or warranty, express or implied, as to the improper use of this article, accuracy, completeness or updated status of above-mentioned statements. Therefore, in no case whatsoever will Neuroplast B.V. be legally liable or liable to anyone for any decision made or action taken in conjunction with the information and/or statements in this press release or for any related damages.
In case of any further questions, please contact:
Neuroplast Sasja VerhoogT: +31 (0)85 076 1000E: [emailprotected]
LifeSpring LifeSciences Communication, AmsterdamLeon MelensT: +31 6 538 16 427E: [emailprotected]
1Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) describes the minimum standards that a medicines manufacturer must meet in their production processes, under inspections coordinated by EMA
2An Orphan Designation (OD) is a designation for treatments of rare conditions, that allows fast-track clinical research
See the article here:
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Filing of Ten Patent Applications Related to its BRTX-100 Program - StreetInsider.com - December 4th, 2021
- Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of Stem Cell injections for symptomatic relief and strUctural improvement in people with Tibiofemoral knee... - December 4th, 2021
- Heterogeneous expression of ACE2 and TMPRRS2 in mesenchymal stromal cells - DocWire News - November 27th, 2021
- American CryoStem Announces the Addition of John Schwartz, PhD to Its Advisory Board - Stockhouse - November 24th, 2021
- KU holds session on dynamics of health and research | The Academia - The Academia Mag - November 22nd, 2021
- Direct Biologics, LLC Announces One Year Follow Up of Pilot Safety Study of ExoFlo for Treatment of Osteoarthritis in Combat-Related Injuries - Yahoo... - November 18th, 2021
- Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound Promotes Osteogenic Differentiation of Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator Graft-Derived Cells in Vitro - DocWire News - November 18th, 2021
- BRAINSTORM CELL THERAPEUTICS INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations. (form 10-Q) -... - November 16th, 2021
- Nerve Repair with Help From Stem Cells | University of Pennsylvania Almanac - UPENN Almanac - November 9th, 2021
- Potential roles of mesenchymal stem cells and their exosomes in the treatment of COVID-19 - DocWire News - November 7th, 2021
- Exosomal miR-21-5p derived from bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells promote osteosarcoma cell proliferation and invasion by targeting PIK3R1 - DocWire... - November 7th, 2021
- Engineered Small Extracellular Vesicles as a FGL1/PD-L1 Dual-Targeting Delivery System for Alleviating Immune Rejection - DocWire News - November 7th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals Expands Management Team with Appointment of Kelly Creighton, PhD as Executive Vice President of Chemistry, Manufacturing and... - November 5th, 2021
- European Wellness Collaborates with Heidelberg University Germany to Conduct Efficacy Studies of Peptides and Cell Therapy Research - KEVN Black Hills... - November 3rd, 2021
- Erratum for the article The long-term fate of mesenchymal stem cells l | IJN - Dove Medical Press - November 3rd, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market 2021 Leading Strategies and Growth Status to 2027 Merck KGaA, Celprogen, Creative Bioarray, Thermo... - November 3rd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Implementation of Reverse Stock Split in Preparation for Planned Uplisting to Nasdaq - Yahoo Finance - November 1st, 2021
- Vitti Labs Announces FDA Approval of IND Application for Phase II Clinical Trial of Combination Mesenchymal Stem Cell and Exosome Treatment of Novel... - October 28th, 2021
- European Wellness Collaborates with Heidelberg University Germany to Conduct Efficacy Studies of Peptides and Cell Therapy Research - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- Aiming for Global CDMO, Xcell Therapeutics opens an export route to 62 countries with cell therapy culture technology. - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- Skeletal Muscle Regeneration by the Exosomes of Adipose Tissue-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells - DocWire News - October 28th, 2021
- Novel Stem Cell Therapy Approach Proves Effective in Treating COVID-19 - Asharq Al-awsat - English - October 28th, 2021
- Completion of Enrollment in Phase III Comparative Study for Investigational Regenerative Cellular Medicine (gMSC1) for Knee Chondrogenesis Using... - October 28th, 2021
- Managing superficial pyoderma with light therapy - DVM 360 - October 28th, 2021
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Prospects, Upcoming Trends and Competitive Outlook till 2028 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher, Bio-Techne, ATCC,... - October 26th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics Provides Third Quarter 2021 Business Update - GlobeNewswire - October 26th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Announces Nomination of Two New Members to the Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - October 26th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | What Is The Estimated Market Size In The Upcoming Years? | key players- Osiris Therapeutics, Inc, Pharmicell, Cynata,... - October 26th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size Is Rapidly Increasing, Know The Key Reasons Behind The Growth | Key Players Lonza,Thermo Fisher,Bio-Techne. -... - October 21st, 2021
- Single Lgr5 stem cells build crypt-villus structures in ... - October 21st, 2021
- Kartogenin Promotes the BMSCs Chondrogenic Differentiation in Osteoarthritis by Down-Regulation of miR-145-5p Targeting Smad4 Pathway - DocWire News - October 21st, 2021
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2021 Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2027 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher, Bio-Techne, ATCC IMIESA - IMIESA - October 19th, 2021
- Cellular Therapy in Oncology Market Latest Trends, Demands and Growing Business Opportunities 2017 to 2025 | TMR - Virtual-Strategy Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- Angiogenic effects of cell therapy within a biomaterial scaffold in a rat hind limb ischemia model - DocWire News - October 19th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 15th, 2021
- Chitosan hydrogel/3D-printed poly(caprolactone) hybrid ... - October 15th, 2021
- Mesenchymal stem cells and COVID-19: What they do and what they can do - DocWire News - October 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Cell Source, by Type, by Therapeutic Application, by End-User, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - October 15th, 2021
- Citius Pharmaceuticals to Host Investor Webcast to Discuss the Acquisition of Late Phase 3 Cancer Immunotherapy I/ONTAK (E7777) - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2021
- Stem cell population identified that is key for bone regeneration - EurekAlert - October 9th, 2021
- Nerve repair, with help from stem cells | Penn Today - Penn Today - October 9th, 2021
- Researchers identify a stem cell population with enhanced fracture healing and differentiation abilities - News-Medical.net - October 9th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market is estimated to Rise Profitably during the Foreseeable Future - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- Stem cell & gene therapy to treat osteogenesis imperfecta: hype or hope - Open Access Government - October 7th, 2021
- Stem cells and their role in lung transplant rejection - Michigan Medicine - October 7th, 2021
- Knockdown of mesenchymal stem cellderived exosomal LOC100129516 suppresses the symptoms of atherosclerosis via upregulation of the PPAR/LXR/ABCA1... - October 7th, 2021
- Germany Approves Novel Cell Therapy Extracted from Skin - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present at the 2021 Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - KKCO-TV - October 5th, 2021
- Brazil investigates the use of stem cells in the treatment of covid-19 The Clare People - The Clare People - October 5th, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present Phase 2 Progressive MS Study Results in Oral Presentation at 37th Congress of ECTRIMS - StreetInsider.com - October 3rd, 2021
- Researchers report on new way to deliver healing stem cells to kidney injury patients - EurekAlert - October 3rd, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present Phase 2 Progressive MS Study Results in Oral Presentation at 37th Congress of ECTRIMS - Yahoo Finance - October 2nd, 2021
- CBMG Holdings Completes $120 Million in Series A Funding, Accelerating Development of CAR-T Therapy Pipelines and R&D for Innovative Solid Tumor... - October 2nd, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics signs research partnership with Implant - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2021
- Combination of Antioxidant Enzyme Overexpression and N-Acetylcysteine Treatment Enhances the Survival of Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stromal Cells in... - September 29th, 2021
- Global Allogenic Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Size, Share, Growth and Regional Analysis by Segmentation and Country Forecast to 2028 - Digital... - September 29th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy for multiple sclerosis: Explanation and safety - Medical News Today - September 29th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics in iPSC research partnership - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 29th, 2021
- New Report On Exosome Therapeutic Market Global Trends and Demand 2021 to 2027 | Avalon Globocare Corp, CREATIVE MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY HOLDINGS INC, Stem... - September 25th, 2021
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2021 Analysis by Latest COVID19 Impact with Market Positioning of Key Vendors Profile Stillwater Current - Stillwater... - September 25th, 2021
- Ex vivo stem cell treatment a promising therapy against MRSA - Drug Target Review - September 18th, 2021
- Comparative assessment of proliferation and immunomodulatory potential of Hypericum perforatum plant and callus extracts on mesenchymal stem cells... - September 14th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market to Flourish with an Impressive CAGR during 2021-2031; - PharmiWeb.com - September 10th, 2021
- Anti-inflammatory Effects of Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Their Secretomes in Pneumonia - DocWire News - September 10th, 2021
- A therapeutic convectionenhanced macroencapsulation device for enhancing cell viability and insulin secretion - pnas.org - September 10th, 2021
- Tech Moguls Splash Cash on Anti-Aging Tech - Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute - September 7th, 2021
- MeaTech Announces Filing of Provisional Patent Application for Differentiation of Stem Cells to Produce Cultured Fat - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2021
- Retraction for the article A novel bispecific immunotoxin delivered by | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - September 2nd, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Technology Research and Global Outlook 2021 to 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - September 1st, 2021
- Athersys Shares Are Ready To Rumble Following Period Of Turmoil - Seeking Alpha - September 1st, 2021
- LifeNet Health features best-in-class orthobiologic solutions at AAOS Annual Meeting - PRNewswire - September 1st, 2021
- Corrigendum for the article Overexpression of HOXB4 Promotes Protectio | JIR - Dove Medical Press - August 30th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem/Stromal Cells and Their Derivates in Acute Diseases: Emergency in the Post-COVID-19 Times - DocWire News - August 28th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Analysis, Growth, Gross Margin Analysis, Key Vendors, Shares, Drivers And Forecast UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - August 28th, 2021
- Human Bone Marrow-derived Mononuclear Cells and Their Applications - PharmiWeb.com - August 28th, 2021
- Dad with multiple sclerosis who fought for treatment in Panama during Covid restrictions finds first round is 'reaping rewards' - South West Londoner - August 25th, 2021
- Mesenchymal stem cell-based therapy and exosomes in COVID-19: current trends and prospects - DocWire News - August 23rd, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Awarded One of Top 10 Spine Device Companies by MedTech Outlook - OrthoSpineNews - August 23rd, 2021
- New Experiment on Mice Reveals a System for Burning Deep Stored Fat - Nature World News - August 23rd, 2021
- Extracellular vesicles, stem cells and the role of miRNAs in neurodegeneration - DocWire News - August 22nd, 2021