In this interview, we spoke to Dr. Nels Elde about his latest research that led to the discovery of a new gene in monkeys that could help to develop new antivirals.
We were curious if a cellular process exploited by viruses, including HIV, might somehow evolve resistance despite high levels of genetic conservation.
Many antivirals target specific virus features or functions and viruses can quickly evolve resistance with simple amino acid substitutions. Here we looked at how hosts might change from a genetic standpoint. This solves one challenge and we think evolution might have solved the second challenge of cell toxicity with the trial-and-error of mutation and selection over millions of years.
Image Credit: O-IAHI/Shutterstock.com
There is a wild natural history here where an ancient retrotransposon, a selfish genetic element, made a mistake while replicating itself in the ancestors of New World monkeys. It instead copied the gene that encodes CHMP3 and this copy diverged into what we discovered and named retroCHMP3 in modern squirrel monkeys.
RetroCHMP3 seems to slightly delay some important cellular processes and this appears catastrophic for enveloped viruses like HIV and Ebola that need this process to complete virus replication cycles.
We started just by comparing genes like CHMP3 in many primate and rodent genomes. The surprise was extra copies of CHMP3 in some genomes but not others. This fueled our curiosity.
Some of these extra copies we named retroCHMP3 had features consistent with being antiviral. The coding region of the gene was shortened with a premature stop codon. This results in a protein with robust activity blocking virus release from infected cells.
Image Credit: Artem Verkhoglyad/Shutterstock.com
The twist was additional point mutations in the gene that allow cells to tolerate retroCHMP3 without killing them or causing overt toxicity.
This provides a roadmap for a new approach to antivirals. Alter cell biology a little bit in ways that are devastating to virus replication.
RetroCHMP3 itself might be productively developed as an antiviral deployed genetically as part of future interventions that make somatic mutations and/or additions as part of autologous stem cell treatments.
Accelerated tracks are very possible as shown with the breakthrough mRNA-based vaccines developed for SARS-CoV-2 in the last year. In these cases, it might be a question of tipping points where pandemics disrupt our lives in ways that shake everyone to attention and break down traditional barriers for advancement.
Similarly, for antivirals, we might be on the cusp of several new interventions like Mercks new molnupiravir. I hope the pipeline fills quickly because cocktail approaches might be needed to avoid the rapid evolution of resistant SARS2.
We are back to the starting line and all over the map chasing our curiosity about evolution at host-virus interfaces.
Nels Elde is an evolutionary geneticist in the Department of Human Genetics and an Investigator in the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at the University of Utah. He studies how interactions between infectious microbes and their hosts result in evolutionary conflicts resembling arms races.
The work reveals the wide-ranging impacts of viruses on the evolution of essential host cell processes. Nels co-hosts the science podcast This Week in Evolution (https://www.microbe.tv/twievo/). He was a recipient of a John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation fellowship in 2020.
Go here to see the original:
- New findings for the function of tau in neurodegenerative disease - EurekAlert - January 21st, 2022
- Arthritis-related gene also regenerates cartilage in joints and growth plates - USC News - January 21st, 2022
- Arthritis-related gene also regenerates cartilage in joints and growth plates - USC News - January 21st, 2022
- Going bald? Lab-grown hair cells could be on the way - MIT Technology Review - January 19th, 2022
- Post-doctoral Fellow in Cancer Immunology and Stem Cell Engineering job with THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG | 277946 - Times Higher Education (THE) - January 19th, 2022
- Stem Cell and Gene Therapy Biological Testing Market Future Developments, Business Insights, End Users, Application and Forecast to 2029 - Digital... - January 19th, 2022
- Global Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market 2021 Growth Analysis, Opportunities, Business Insights, Key Trends and Forecast by 2027 Discovery... - January 19th, 2022
- Autophagy Regulation on Cancer Stem Cell Maintenance, Metastasis, and Therapy Resistance - Newswise - January 19th, 2022
- Early-Stage Study Suggests a Potential Approach to Preventing the Development of AML - PRNewswire - January 19th, 2022
- Genome Editing Market: Rise in drug discovery and development activities to drive the market - BioSpace - January 19th, 2022
- Direct effect of SARS-CoV-2 on the kidney - News-Medical.Net - January 19th, 2022
- Registration is open for the ISSCR 2022 Annual Meeting 15-18 June - EurekAlert - January 13th, 2022
- Stem cell: UC's odd 'unmention' in its top 10 research tales - Capitol Weekly - January 13th, 2022
- Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cells (BMSCS) Market Size Is Expected To Generate Huge Revenue and Competitive Outlook Industrial IT - Industrial IT - January 13th, 2022
- Outsmarting Cancer: Next Generation Therapies - BioSpace - January 13th, 2022
- Doctors and Researchers Probe How COVID-19 Attacks the Heart - The Scientist - January 13th, 2022
- Legendary Bayer is Reinventing its Story with Cell and Gene Therapy - BioSpace - January 13th, 2022
- New Resource from NCCN Shares Evidence-Based Approaches to Recognize and Manage Graft-Versus-Host Disease after Stem Cell Transplantation - Newswise - January 11th, 2022
- Rising Focus on Exploring Potential of Stem Cells as Therapeutic Tools in Drug Targeting and Regenerative Medicine to Fuel Revenue Growth of Stem... - January 11th, 2022
- Stem Cell Media Market Statistics Based on Facts and Figures, 2022 to 2031 - Taiwan News - January 11th, 2022
- Regenerative Medicine: Innovation & Innovators leading online scientific event by IASRM in this pandemic - ThePrint - January 11th, 2022
- JPM22: Pfizer's big bet on mRNA, Biogen 'proven wrong' on Aduhelm price and the next cell therapies - BioPharma Dive - January 11th, 2022
- Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Treatment Market: Availability of Drugs and Immune-related Treatments Are Anticipated to Drive the Global Market -... - January 11th, 2022
- Peter Dirks, Asthma and Physics - Brain Tumour Research - January 9th, 2022
- Overview - Brain Tumor Stem Cell Research Lab - Mayo ... - January 7th, 2022
- Religious Groups Official Positions on Stem Cell Research ... - January 7th, 2022
- EBMT trial demonstrates improvements in immunosuppressive treatment of patients with Severe Aplastic Anemia - EurekAlert - January 7th, 2022
- CMML vs. CML: What's the Difference? - Healthline - January 7th, 2022
- Effects of Stem Cell Therapy on Diabetic Mellitus Erectile Dysfunction: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis - Newswise - January 5th, 2022
- Researchers Awarded Grant to Study New Method of Islet Transplantation - Weill Cornell Medicine Newsroom - January 5th, 2022
- FDA Grants Regenerative Medicine Advanced Therapy (RMAT) Designation to AlloVir's Posoleucel for the Treatment of Adenovirus (AdV) Infections in... - January 5th, 2022
- Jake's mice: Searching for answers to the puzzle of autism - huntingdondailynews.com - January 5th, 2022
- Freeze Thaw Chambers Market: The cryopreserved products segment is expected to drive the growth of the market - BioSpace - January 5th, 2022
- Gait Rehabilitation System Market: Rising incidence of various neurological disorders to drive the market - BioSpace - January 5th, 2022
- Worldwide Translational Regenerative Medicine Industry to 2026 - Ongoing Research in Organ Transplantation With Regenerative Medicine Presents... - January 5th, 2022
- These 2021 Biotech Breakthroughs Will Shape the Future of Health and Medicine - Singularity Hub - January 5th, 2022
- LifeBank Chain Announces Upcoming Gene and Cell Collaboration Platform With Disrupt Blockchain Technologies - Yahoo Finance - January 2nd, 2022
- Dental mesenchymal stromal/stem cells in different microenvironments implications in regenerative therapy - Newswise - January 2nd, 2022
- Bristol Myers Squibb exec on the companys growth in Seattle and beating cancer with immune cells - GeekWire - January 2nd, 2022
- Postdoc Position in Bioinformatics in Stem Cell Neurobiology job with MASARYK UNIVERSITY | 276195 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 25th, 2021
- USC Stem Cell - December 25th, 2021
- Communication between cells plays a major role in deciding their fate - EurekAlert - December 25th, 2021
- Researchers uncover new details behind inflammation that promotes heart disease - EurekAlert - December 25th, 2021
- Epithelial Cell Culture Media Market to hit US$ 303040.33 thousand by 2028, at 11.4% CAGR: The Insight Partners - Digital Journal - December 25th, 2021
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market is Expected to Reach USD 57.08 Billion by 2027, Growing at a CAGR of 11.27% Over the Forecast Period. -... - December 23rd, 2021
- Communication between cells plays a major role in deciding their fate > News > USC Dornsife - USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences - December 23rd, 2021
- Emendo Biotherapeutics and Seattle Childrens Research Institute Announce Collaboration to Develop CRISPR-based Therapeutic Strategy for Severe... - December 23rd, 2021
- The 10 Most Compelling Research Stories of 2021 PharmaLive - PharmaLive - December 23rd, 2021
- UTSW working to reprogram cells to strengthen immunity in geriatric patients - EurekAlert - December 23rd, 2021
- Cell Proliferation Kit Market Objectives of the Study Includes Research Methodology and Assumptions and Forecast by 2031 - Digital Journal - December 23rd, 2021
- Drexel Researchers Develop and Employ Cell-Based Approach to Studying Mechanisms of Gulf War Illness - Drexel News Blog - December 21st, 2021
- This Startup Is Makingand ProgrammingHuman Cells - WIRED - December 21st, 2021
- Amniotics joins Vinnova funded 'CAMP' to improve outcome of lung transplantations with PulmoStem - marketscreener.com - December 21st, 2021
- COVID-19: Are T cell vaccines the future? - Medical News Today - December 21st, 2021
- The 10 Most Compelling Research Stories of 2021 - BioSpace - December 21st, 2021
- SpaceX CRS-24 launching multiple life science investigations to the International Space Station - EurekAlert - December 21st, 2021
- Fast food: Israeli team stumbles upon speed boost for slow-growing cultured meat - The Times of Israel - December 21st, 2021
- MRC Lead Apologizes Following Bullying Allegations - The Scientist - December 21st, 2021
- End of Year Wrap Up: Key Updates in Myeloma in 2021 and Possible Upcoming FDA Updates - Cancer Network - December 21st, 2021
- City of Hope presents leading-edge research on blood cancer therapies and its vaccine to reduce stem cell transplant complications at American Society... - December 17th, 2021
- IN8bio Provides Update from the Ongoing Phase 1 Clinical Trial of its Allogeneic Gamma-Delta T Cell Therapy in Leukemia Patients Undergoing... - December 17th, 2021
- Century Therapeutics Announces Presentation of Data at the 63rd American Society of Hematology ... - The Bakersfield Californian - December 17th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Isolation Global Market to 2026 - by Technique, Cell Type, Product, Application, End-use and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 17th, 2021
- CAR T-cell Therapy Found Equivalent to Standard of Care as Second-line Treatment for Aggressive non-Hodgkin Lymphoma - PRNewswire - December 15th, 2021
- Novel CD19-Directed CAR T-Cell Therapy Shows Favorable Results in R/R DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - December 15th, 2021
- Global CRISPR Technology Market Research Report 2021: Focus on Design Tools, Plasmid and Vector, Cas9 and G-RNA, & Delivery System Products -... - December 15th, 2021
- Building an entrepreneurial ecosystem is about a lot more than education and science funding - American Enterprise Institute - December 15th, 2021
- Q&A: Dr. Thomas Rando on preventing age-related diseases and turning discoveries into cures - UCLA Newsroom - December 12th, 2021
- Neoleukin Therapeutics Announces Preclinical Data Highlighting Activity of NL-201 in Hematologic Malignancies at 63rd American Society of Hematology... - December 12th, 2021
- Ten Problems with Embryonic Stem Cell Research | The ... - December 11th, 2021
- New stem cell identified for lung tissue regeneration ... - December 11th, 2021
- Harvard Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology ... - December 11th, 2021
- Stem Cells Australia | Australian research, stem cell ... - December 11th, 2021
- Research Assistant Stem Cell Project Job at The Florey Institute in Melbourne, Australia - The Conversation AU - December 11th, 2021
- Ethical issues cloud case report of unproven stem cell therapy for autism - Spectrum - December 11th, 2021
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size 2021 Emerging Technologies, Global Regions with Industry Share Analysis, Gross Margin, Regional Demand and Forecast... - December 11th, 2021
- For children, young adults with recurrent AML, immunotherapy shows promise Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - Washington... - December 11th, 2021
- UEA researchers reveal how immune cells use the bodys fat stores to fight infection - News-Medical.net - December 11th, 2021
- Sanford Health opens study of cell injections for arthritis - Sanford Health News - December 11th, 2021
- Cell types outside the pancreas make insulin, too, study shows - Yale News - December 11th, 2021