Researchers have used cutting edge technology to bioprint miniature human kidneys in the lab, paving the way for new treatments for kidney failure and possibly lab-grown transplants.
The study, led by the Murdoch Children's Research Institute (MCRI) and biotech company Organovo and published in Nature Materials, saw the research team also validate the use of 3D bioprinted human mini kidneys for screening of drug toxicity from a class of drugs known to cause kidney damage in people.
The research showed how 3D bioprinting of stem cells can produce large enough sheets of kidney tissue needed for transplants.
Like squeezing toothpaste out of a tube, extrusion-based 3D bioprinting uses a 'bioink' made from a stem cell paste, squeezed out through a computer-guided pipette to create artificial living tissue in a dish.
MCRI researchers teamed up with San Diego-based Organovo Inc to create the mini organs.
MCRI Professor Melissa Little, a world leader in modeling the human kidney, first began growing kidney organoids in 2015. But this new bio-printing method is faster, more reliable and allows the whole process to be scaled up. 3D bioprinting could now create about 200 mini kidneys in 10 minutes without compromising quality, the study found.
From larger than a grain of rice to the size of a fingernail, bioprinted mini-kidneys fully resemble a regular-sized kidney, including the tiny tubes and blood vessels that form the organ's filtering structures called nephrons.
Professor Little said by using mini-organs her team hope to screen drugs to find new treatments for kidney disease or to test if a new drug was likely to injure the kidney.
Drug-induced injury to the kidney is a major side effect and difficult to predict using animal studies. Bioprinting human kidneys are a practical approach to testing for toxicity before use."
Melissa Little, MCRI Professor
In this study, the toxicity of aminoglycosides, a class of antibiotics that commonly damage the kidney, were tested.
"We found increased death of particular types of cells in the kidneys treated with aminoglycosides," Professor Little said.
"By generating stem cells from a patient with a genetic kidney disease, and then growing mini kidneys from them, also paves the way for tailoring treatment plans specific to each patient, which could be extended to a range of kidney diseases."
Professor Little said the study showed growing human tissue from stem cells also brought the promise of bioengineered kidney tissue.
"3D bioprinting can generate larger amounts of kidney tissue but with precise manipulation of biophysical properties, including cell number and conformation, improving the outcome," she said.
Currently, 1.5 million Australians are unaware they are living with early signs of kidney disease such as decreased urine output, fluid retention and shortness of breath.
Professor Little said prior to this study the possibility of using mini kidneys to generate transplantable tissue was too far away to contemplate.
"The pathway to renal replacement therapy using stem cell-derived kidney tissue will need a massive increase in the number of nephron structures present in the tissue to be transplanted," she said.
"By using extrusion bioprinting, we improved the final nephron count, which will ultimately determine whether we can transplant these tissues into people."
Lawlor, K.T., et al. (2020) Cellular extrusion bioprinting improves kidney organoid reproducibility and conformation. Nature Materials. doi.org/10.1038/s41563-020-00853-9.
Read this article:
- Individualized brain cell grafts reverse Parkinson's symptoms in monkeys - University of Wisconsin-Madison - March 3rd, 2021
- New Controversy for Stem Cell Therapy That Repairs Spinal Cords - The Great Courses Daily News - March 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Company Raises $160 Million to Advance iPSC-Derived Therapies to Clinic - BioSpace - March 3rd, 2021
- NSAIDs to Treat Arthritic Canines Through 2028; Stem Cell Therapies to Invigorate Canine Arthritis T - PharmiWeb.com - March 3rd, 2021
- A region within GLI1 gene could potentially be targeted as cancer treatment - News-Medical.Net - March 3rd, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2020 Financial Results and Recent Program Highlights - Galveston County Daily News - March 3rd, 2021
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 2025 Research Report Segment Outlook, Growth Potentials and Analysis of COVID-19 Worldwide Outbreak KSU... - March 3rd, 2021
- Global Autologous stem cell and Non-stem cell based Therapies Market- Industry Analysis, Growth, Segmentation and Forecast-2019-2027 - The Bisouv... - March 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell manufacturing Market Witness an Outstanding Growth and Strong Revenue and Forecast 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 3rd, 2021
- New study launches into COVID-19 vaccine responses in patients with impaired immune systems - University of Birmingham - March 3rd, 2021
- U. Cancer Center pilot projects: investigating cancer connections - The Brown Daily Herald - March 3rd, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2021 | Global Trends, Business Overview, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 The Bisouv Network - The... - March 1st, 2021
- Human Lung and Brain Organoids Respond Differently to SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Lab Tests - UC San Diego Health - March 1st, 2021
- Contemporary Critical Care Complications of Stem Cell Transplant/Cellular Therapies - TMC News - Texas Medical Center News - March 1st, 2021
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market Size-Share Analysis and System Production | Addressing the Potential Impact of COVID-19 Top Companies FLA... - February 21st, 2021
- Studies Show ApoE4 Carriers Appear More Susceptible to COVID-19Experts Say the Jury Is Still Out - Being Patient - February 21st, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 19th, 2021
- Associating Baseline PROs and Complications of Stem Cell Transplant - MedPage Today - February 19th, 2021
- USC scientist Ya-Wen Chen receives American Lung Association grant to advance stem cell-based lung therapies - USC News - February 10th, 2021
- Gamida Cell Presents Efficacy and Safety Results of Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel in Patients with Hematologic Malignancies at the 2021 TCT Meetings of... - February 10th, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics to Present Additional Data from Phase 1 MGTA-145 Stem Cell Mobilization Program and Preclinical Updates on Targeting Conditioning... - February 10th, 2021
- Creative Bioarray Offers Stem Cell Lines Generation Service for Promoting Scientific Research - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 10th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Revenue, Key Players, Supply-Demand, Investment Feasibility and Forecast By 2029: Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - February 10th, 2021
- The International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society (MDS) Continues to Caution Against Unproven Cell-Based Therapies for Parkinson's Disease -... - February 10th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 10th, 2021
- Money on the Move: January 27 February 2 - BioSpace - February 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Study Illuminates the Cause of a Devastating Inherited Heart Disorder - Newswise - February 2nd, 2021
- Experts Predict the Hottest Life Science Tech in 2021 and Beyond - The Scientist - February 2nd, 2021
- Global Apoptosis Assays Market Report 2020: Apoptosis Assay Kits Lead the Demand with 42.5% Share - Forecast to 2026 - GlobeNewswire - February 2nd, 2021
- Choroideremia Research Foundation Supports New Research to Expand Knowledge of This Rare Inherited Retinal Disease - PRNewswire - February 2nd, 2021
- APOE Tied to Increased Susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 | ALZFORUM - Alzforum - February 2nd, 2021
- Stem Cell Research & Therapy | Home page - January 28th, 2021
- Stem cell - Wikipedia - January 28th, 2021
- stem cell | Definition, Types, Uses, Research, & Facts ... - January 28th, 2021
- Researchers use patients' cells to test gene therapy for rare eye disease - National Institutes of Health - January 28th, 2021
- Cooperation, appropriation, and vaccines relying on fetal ... - January 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Manufacturing includes Attractiveness and Raw Material Analysis and Competitor Position Grid Analysis to 2027 | Merck KGaA, Thermo Fisher... - January 28th, 2021
- Cell Expansion Supporting Equipment Market Research Report 2020 key Insights Based on Product Type, End-use and Regional Demand Till 2027 | Beckman... - January 28th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Stem Cells Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Type, Application, and Region NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 26th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market to witness high growth in near future - Fractovia News - January 26th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Treatment for Severe COVID-19 Using Stem Cells It's Like Smart Bomb Technology in the Lung - SciTechDaily - January 6th, 2021
- Development Of New Stem Cell Type May Lead To Advances In Regenerative Medicine - Anti Aging News - January 6th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs) Market 2020-2025 Business Insights and Sustainable Growth in Respective Industry - LionLowdown - January 6th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Speed and Efficiency Driven by Draper's New Way of Thinking - BioSpace - January 6th, 2021
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) Drugs Market: Increasing Burden of Kidney Disease is Expected to Drive the Market - BioSpace - January 6th, 2021
- Global Circulating Tumor Cells and Cancer Stem Cells Market To Reach A New Threshold of Growth By 2026 - The Courier - January 6th, 2021
- RNA molecules are masters of their own destiny - MIT News - January 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2025 - Farming Sector - January 4th, 2021
- How brain inflammation and healing is pointing to new glioblastoma targets - FierceBiotech - January 4th, 2021
- Discover the Global Stem Cell Banking Market Opportunities, Key Manufacturers and Outlook - The Courier - December 30th, 2020
- Impacts of COVID 19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Size, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 - Factory Gate - December 30th, 2020
- Nociceptive neurons shown to boost hematopoiesis | 2020-12-28 - BioWorld Online - December 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth Graph To Demonstrate Inclination Towards Positive Axis By 2026 - The Courier - December 28th, 2020
- Stem cells from cord blood can now be used across many conditions: Mayur Abhaya, MD & CEO, LifeCell Internat.. - ETHealthworld.com - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market (COVID-19 Analysis) 2020-2025 Is Booming Worldwide with Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Revenue Scope in Future - Farming... - December 28th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2025 - LionLowdown - December 28th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell & Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Research Report - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo... - December 27th, 2020
- Global Adipose Stem Cells (ASCS) Market 2020 Global Insights and Technology Advancement, Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 - Factory Gate - December 27th, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Successful Application of ImmCelz Immunotherapy for Treatment of Stroke - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market: Development, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2025 - The Courier - December 17th, 2020
- I Peace, Inc. and Avery Therapeutics announce collaboration to bring iPSC derived cell therapy for heart failure to the clinic - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Exosomes Market: Increasing advanced applications of exosomes is expected to drive the market - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Stock Price Increased 80.77%: Why It Happened - Pulse 2.0 - December 17th, 2020
- 1st Patients To Get CRISPR Gene-Editing Treatment Continue To Thrive - NPR - December 17th, 2020
- California's Proposition 14: short in the arm for stem cell research - BioNews - December 15th, 2020
- Networks of genes involved in congenital heart disease revealed - News-Medical.net - December 15th, 2020
- Researchers Discover Clue to How to Protect Neurons and Encourage Their Growth - UC San Diego Health - December 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 vaccine shows the long-term value of curiosity-driven basic research - News-Medical.Net - December 15th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cells Market to Boost with CAGR of 11.8% and Cross a Margin of $1,898.3 Million During the Covid-19 Outbreak Exclusive Report [150... - December 10th, 2020
- City of Hope Doctors Present Innovative Therapies to Better Treat Blood Cancers at American Society of Hematology Virtual Conference - BioSpace - December 10th, 2020
- Procyon Technologies LLC and Novo Nordisk A/S to Collaborate on the Development of a Stem-Cell Based Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes - PRNewswire - December 10th, 2020
- Better education needed to give patients improved understanding of gene therapies, new review highlights - University of Birmingham - December 10th, 2020
- Extended Virus Shedding After COVID in Some Patients With Cancer - Medscape - December 10th, 2020
- Jasper Therapeutics Announces Data from First Transplant-naive Patient in Phase 1 Clinical Trial of JSP191 as Conditioning Agent in Patients with SCID... - December 10th, 2020
- How do you donate stem cells? Donating cells can help treat cancer, blindness and other conditions - heres how - The Scotsman - December 6th, 2020
- Free radicals may be important for the brain to remain adaptable - News-Medical.Net - December 6th, 2020
- New Cedars-Sinai Biomanufacturing Center to Spur Cell Therapies - Newswise - December 6th, 2020
- Worldwide Stem Cell Therapy Market Insights to 2025 - Analysis and Forecasts - GlobeNewswire - December 6th, 2020
- Gene therapy gives man with sickle cell disease the chance for a better future - UCLA Newsroom - December 6th, 2020
- UCLA receives $7.3 million grant to build state-of-the-art facility for developing gene, cell therapies - UCLA Newsroom - December 6th, 2020