CTX001is an investigational therapy that Vertex Pharmaceuticals and CRISPR Therapeutics are developing to treat inherited disorders of hemoglobin such assickle cell diseaseandbeta-thalassemia.
Sickle cell disease is caused by a mutation in the HBB gene. This gene provides instructions to make the protein hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a molecule inside red blood cells that is responsible for carrying oxygen. In sickle cell disease, the mutations result in missing or deficient hemoglobin.
CTX001 uses gene-editing technology to make a genetic change to increase the production of fetal hemoglobin in patients red blood cells. Fetal hemoglobin is a form of hemoglobin that exists naturally in newborn babies. The body later replaces it with the adult form of hemoglobin. However, sometimes fetal hemoglobin persists in adults, providing protection for people with sickle cell disease and beta-thalassemia.
For the treatment, researchers first collect a patients hematopoietic stem cells. These are cells from the bone marrow that give rise to all the red and white blood cells. They then genetically modify these cells in the laboratory so they are able to produce high levels of fetal hemoglobin. Finally, they reintroduce them into the patients body, where they will produce large amounts of red blood cells containing fetal hemoglobin.
Researchers presented the results of preclinical experiments with CTX001 at the American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting in December 2017. CTX001 was able to efficiently edit the target gene in more than 90% of hematopoietic stem cells to achieve about 40% of fetal hemoglobin production. Investigators believe this is sufficient to improve a patients symptoms. Study results also showed that CTX001 affects only cells at the target site, thereby appearing to be a safe potential treatment.
These positive results prompted CRISPR topartner with Vertex to further develop CTX001. The goal is to market CTX001 as a gene-editing treatment for inherited hemoglobin disorders, including sickle cell disease and beta-thalassemia.
A Phase 1/2 clinical trial (NCT03745287) called CLIMB-SCD-121 was started in November 2018 to investigate the use of CTX001 in sickle cell disease. The open-label, multi-site, single-dose trial is recruiting 45 patients, ages 18 to 35, with severe sickle cell disease in the U.S., Canada, Belgium, Germany, and Italy. Researchers will give participants a single intravenous (into the bloodstream) infusion of CTX001. They will monitor the safety and effectiveness of the treatment for six months to two years.
Researchers reported preliminary results for the first patient in November 2019. Before treatment, the patient averaged seven vaso-occlusive crises (VOCs) a year. At four months after treatment, they were free of VOCs and had hemoglobin levels of 11.3 g/dL. The estimated completion date of the trial is May 2022.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted CTX001 fast track designationin January 2019. This designationallows for faster development and review of drugs that treat a serious medical issue and fill an unmet need.
In May 2020, the FDA also granted the therapy the designation of regenerative medicine advanced therapy (RMAT) for treating severe sickle cell disease and transfusion-dependent beta-thalassemia. The purpose of RMAT is to expedite the development and review of new therapies that treat serious or life-threatening medical conditions, or when they show significant clinical benefits over existing therapies.
Last updated: May 13, 2020
Sickle Cell Disease News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
Total Posts: 3
zge has a MSc. in Molecular Genetics from the University of Leicester and a PhD in Developmental Biology from Queen Mary University of London. She worked as a Post-doctoral Research Associate at the University of Leicester for six years in the field of Behavioural Neurology before moving into science communication. She worked as the Research Communication Officer at a London based charity for almost two years.
Continue reading here:
- Researchers find that fish oil may help with depression - Jill Lopez - July 16th, 2020
- How frogs became green again, and again, and again : Research Highlights - Nature.com - July 16th, 2020
- Pressing ahead - PharmaTimes - July 16th, 2020
- Citius Pharmaceuticals Brings on Myron S. Czuczman, MD as Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and Executive Vice President - PRNewswire - July 16th, 2020
- Global thirst for electricity is fuelling the rise of a potent greenhouse gas - Nature.com - July 6th, 2020
- Check it Out: Beat summer boredom by reading a book - The Columbian - July 6th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technology Market by Leading Manufacturers, Demand and Growth Overview 2019 to 2027 - Jewish Life News - July 4th, 2020
- Its not just the lungs COVID-19 can affect the brain and heart of those infected, researchers say - FOX 10 News Phoenix - July 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells // Center for Stem Cells and Regenerative ... - July 1st, 2020
- Label-free sensing of exosomal MCT1 and CD147 for tracking metabolic reprogramming and malignant progression in glioma - Science Advances - June 30th, 2020
- Novel coronavirus infection might trigger type-1 diabetes - The Hindu - June 30th, 2020
- Recovering from Cancer, a Stem Cell Transplant and Coronavirus - Cancer Health Treatment News - June 30th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cSCC) that... - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - June 23rd, 2020
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics to Join the Russell 2000 Index and Russell 3000 Index - PRNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Therapeutics Market Promising Growth Opportunities over 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 23rd, 2020
- UK Startup Bags 37M to Remove Cell Therapy Manufacturing... - Labiotech.eu - June 16th, 2020
- EHA25Virtual: Adult Patients With Sickle Cell Disease May Be at Increased Risk of Adverse Outcomes From COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- CRISPR Therapeutics and Vertex Announce New Clinical Data for Investigational Gene-Editing Therapy CTX001 in Severe Hemoglobinopathies at the 25th... - June 16th, 2020
- BrainStorm to Present at the Raymond James Human Health Innovations Conference - PRNewswire - June 12th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - Advances & Applications scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 12th, 2020
- Autolus Therapeutics presents AUTO1 and AUTO3 data at the 2020 EHA25 Virtual Congress - BioSpace - June 12th, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Marketing Authorization for the Subcutaneous Formulation of DARZALEX (daratumumab) for the Treatment of Patients with Multi... - June 12th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Seen to Help COPD Patients with Severe Inflammation - COPD News Today - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2028 - News Collective - June 8th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market-Top Companies, Business Growth And Investment Opportunities, Share and Forecasts 2025 - Jewish Life News - June 8th, 2020
- Creating hairy human skin: Not as easy as you think - Science Codex - June 8th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market 2020 (COVID-19) Impact Analysis: Business Trends, Growth Insight, Statistics And Forecast to 2025 - Surfacing Magazine - June 8th, 2020
- Ide-cel Appears Active in Almost Three-Fourths of Heavily Pretreated Patients with Myeloma - Cancer Network - June 8th, 2020
- Study reveals birth defects caused by flame retardant - University of Georgia - June 8th, 2020
- Buckeye butterflies get their color from their scales - Massive Science - June 3rd, 2020
- Gracell Announces Two Presentations at the Annual Meeting of American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2020
- Stem cell treatments elicit full structural regeneration of the sun-aged skin - News-Medical.Net - May 29th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and Sernova to Collaborate to Engineer Universal Locally Immune Protected Cell Therapies for Type I Diabetes and Hemophilia A -... - May 29th, 2020
- Genmab Announces Positive Topline Results in Phase III ANDROMEDA Study of Daratumumab in Light-chain (AL) Amyloidosis - Financialbuzz.com - May 29th, 2020
- Opdivo + Yervoy receive FDA approval combined with limited chemotherapy as first-line treatment of metastatic or recurrent NSCLC - The Cancer Letter - May 29th, 2020
- AUGUSTMAN Grooming Awards 2020 Part IV: Best Head-To-Toe Treatment Services For Gentlemen - AUGUSTMAN - May 29th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Standard of Care Chemotherapy in Patients with MSI-H Colorectal Cancer - BioSpace - May 29th, 2020
- KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) plus LENVIMA (lenvatinib) Combination Demonstrated Clinically Meaningful Tumor Response Rates in Unresectable Hepatocellular... - May 29th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Covid-19 Impact In 2026 | In-depth Analysis, Global Market Share, Top Trends, Professional & Technical Industry... - May 27th, 2020
- Looking toward the Future of Cell & Gene Therapies - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - May 27th, 2020
- Past ISP Projects, School of Medcine - UC San Diego Health - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - May 27th, 2020
- Immunotherapy Drug Market Global Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities, and Market Forecast 2020 to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 27th, 2020
- Incyte and MorphoSys Announce the Validation of the European Marketing Authorization Application for Tafasitamab - Business Wire - May 21st, 2020
- Mesoblast: Recruitment Commenced For NIH Supported Phase 2/3 Trial Of Remestemcel-L In COVID-19 Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Seeking Alpha - May 21st, 2020
- Dose-dependent functions of SWI/SNF BAF in permitting and inhibiting cell proliferation in vivo - Science Advances - May 21st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells 101 Boston Children's Hospital - May 16th, 2020
- Revealed: First trial of pioneering stem-cell treatment for heart disease performed in China - Nature.com - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells - May 14th, 2020
- Dlp-mediated Hh and Wnt signaling interdependence is critical in the niche for germline stem cell progeny differentiation - Science Advances - May 14th, 2020
- Australia's Mesoblast raises $90M to scale up stem cell therapy manufacturing to treat COVID-19 ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 14th, 2020
- Stem cells therapy A prospective treatment against coronavirus? - Daily Excelsior - May 14th, 2020
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Superior to Brentuximab Vedotin (BV), a Standard of Care, in Patients With Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma (cHL) in... - May 14th, 2020
- Adult Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 12th, 2020
- Altered Bone Marrow Microenvironment Induces Defect of Hematopoietic Stem Cells in -thalassemia - Hematology Advisor - May 12th, 2020
- Stemline Slated for Acquisition by Menarini in Deal Worth Up to $677M - Xconomy - May 9th, 2020
- Rituximab Offers No Extra Benefit to Induction Chemo in ALL - Medscape - May 9th, 2020
- Region 3: Immune and Cellular Tx, Part II - MedPage Today - May 9th, 2020
- Silencing the cytokine storm: the use of intravenous anakinra in haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis or macrophage activation syndrome - The Lancet - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - StreetInsider.com - May 9th, 2020
- Weekly pick of brain tumour research news from around the world - Brain Tumour Research - May 9th, 2020
- BrainStorm Leases a New Cleanroom Facility at The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center to Manufacture NurOwn for The European Union - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- Here's Why Athersys Tumbled 23.3% in April - The Motley Fool - May 7th, 2020
- What is the Value of iPSC Technology in Cardiac... - The Doctor Weighs In - May 7th, 2020
- Schizophrenia drug points to improved brain cancer radiation therapy - New Atlas - May 7th, 2020
- Merck to Present New Data from its Broad Oncology Portfolio and Pipeline at the ASCO20 Virtual Scientific Program - Maryville Daily Times - May 7th, 2020
- What Do New Neurons in the Brains of Adults Actually Do? - The Scientist - May 7th, 2020
- Scientists finally explained one of the strangest coronavirus symptoms - BGR - May 7th, 2020
- Teva and Celltrion Healthcare Announce the Launch of TRUXIMA (rituximab-abbs) Injection for Rheumatoid Arthritis, the Only Biosimilar to Rituxan... - May 7th, 2020
- Genmab Announces U.S. FDA Approval of Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab, DARZALEX FASPRO (daratumumab and hyaluronidase-fihj), for the Treatment... - May 3rd, 2020
- CHMP Issues Positive Opinion Recommending Subcutaneous Formulation of Daratumumab for the Treatment of Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2020
- BrainStorm-Cell Therapeutics to Announce First Quarter Financial Results and Provide a Corporate Update - StreetInsider.com - May 1st, 2020
- Adult Stem Cells | HowStuffWorks - April 30th, 2020
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia - April 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Basics IV. | stemcells.nih.gov - April 30th, 2020
- Where Do We Get Adult Stem Cells? - Children's Hospital - April 30th, 2020
- Chimerix Announces Initiation of a Phase 2/3 Study of DSTAT in Acute Lung Injury for Patients with Severe COVID-19 - StreetInsider.com - April 29th, 2020
- US bishop: We must halt development of any coronavirus vaccine derived from aborted babies - Lifesite - April 29th, 2020