The excessive inflammatory response seen in the most serious cases of Covid-19, along with shortages of ventilators, has caused a healthcare crisis in many countries around the world. Could cell therapy provide an answer to this dilemma?
Most people who become infected with Covid-19 experience symptoms such as a dry cough and mild fever, and recover without medical care. But around 14% develop more severe symptoms including pneumonia and shortness of breath.
Approximately 5% of patients with severe cases of Covid-19 have to be put on a ventilator due to acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). The patients lungs become severely inflamed, causing fluid to seep into the tissue from nearby blood vessels, making breathing increasingly difficult. Some of these patients can go on to develop septic shock and multi-organ failure, with almost half dying after reaching this stage.
This respiratory failure in Covid-19 is linked to an excessive immune activation that causes a cytokine storm where the levels of inflammatory immune proteins go dangerously high. This overreaction of the immune system was also seen in SARS and MERS patients in earlier epidemics both of which are also coronaviruses. While ventilators can help to keep these patients alive, recent shortages of this life-saving equipment in some countries have made it crucial to minimize the time spent on the machines.
Cell therapy has shown promise for treating ARDS, which (even before Covid-19) affected 500,000 people a year across Europe, the US, and Japan. The US-based cell therapy biotech Athersys presenting at a webinar held by the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine last week has been developing a cell therapy called Multistem that it claims decreases the adverse results of inflammation, while activating reparative immune cells.
Multistem is an off the shelf cell therapy derived from bone marrow donations. Eric Jenkins, Senior Medical Director and Head of Clinical Operations at Athersys, explained that the cells are not mesenchymal stem cells adult stem cells traditionally found in bone marrow and other connective tissue but are a different type of adult bone marrow stem cell called multipotent adult progenitor cells, and have greater growth potential in the lab.
Athersys cell therapy is being trialed for reducing the damaging inflammation seen in stroke patients. It was also being developed for the treatment of ARDS even before the Covid-19 pandemic.
The company recently reported results from a completed a phase I/II study testing Multistem in 30 patients (20 treated with cell therapy; 10 with placebo) with ARDS in the US and UK. The study showed that treatment with the cell therapy reduced mortality from 40% to 25% in these very sick patients.
We believe that, in these vulnerable patients, Multistem can effectively interrupt this pathological cycle and promote an immunologic transition that leads to patient recovery, emphasized Jenkins.
Based on these results, and with support from the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority in the US, Multistem is now being tested in a phase II/III trial for the treatment of ARDS in Covid-19 patients. Athersys is additionally collaborating with Japanese biotech Healios, which is also currently testing Multistem in its own study in Covid-19 ARDS patients.
Another company diverting its expertise to the treatment of ARDS in Covid-19 patients is Israeli biotech Pluristem Therapeutics. Earlier this month, Pluristem announced it had secured 50M in non-dilutive funding from the European Investment Bank to fund its Covid-19 therapy development.
Pluristem develops cell therapies made from placental cells. Its most advanced candidates target critical limb ischemia, where reduced blood flow often leads to amputation or death, and muscle damage after hip fracture.
We have favorable safety profile and efficacy data from hundreds of patients treated worldwide in these two indications, commented Racheli Ofir, VP Research & Intellectual Property at Pluristem, which participated in the same webinar as Athersys.
Similar to Athersys therapy, Pluristems cells are delivered off the shelf and also have the ability to regulate the immune system to potentially calm the excessive immune activation seen in Covid-19 ARDS patients. The company announced in March that it planned to work with the Charit University of Medicine in Berlin to develop a cell therapy to treat these patients.
Since March, Pluristem has treated a number of patients with Covid-19-induced ARDS in Israel and in the US as part of a compassionate use program. The company followed up seven patients in Israel and one in the US for 28 days after treatment with the cell therapy. Pluristem found that 87.5% survived, 75% no longer needed ventilation and 62.5% had been discharged from hospital.
The company now plans to start a phase II trial of its therapy in the US, which has been cleared by the FDA, and is waiting for clearance to start a trial in Germany and Italy.
These are just two examples of companies working to develop effective treatments for the severe symptoms seen in some Covid-19 patients. Another advanced example in clinical development is a cell therapy developed by the Australian biotech Mesoblast, which began a phase II/III trial this month. All in all, the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine is currently tracking 24 ongoing clinical trials and an additional 25 preclinical studies for cell therapies against Covid-19.
Although these therapies seem to offer hope for the minority of patients who become seriously ill with Covid-19, its important to note that many of the studies that have been carried out so far are very small and may not represent efficacy on a larger scale.
In the circumstances of the current pandemic, both Jenkins and Ofir think they will be able to recruit full cohorts for their respective clinical trials fairly quickly. But it is likely that we will have to wait for a few more months at least to find out whether these cell therapies can be effective on a larger scale for patients with ARDS.
If they do work out, they could provide an extra line of defense in countries heavily affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, as well as any subsequent waves in the near future.
Images from Shutterstock
- Impacts of the COVID-19-Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Size Current and Future Industry Trends, 2020-2028 - 3rd Watch News - July 4th, 2020
- IHS Pets: Bringing Cell And Gene Therapy To Cats, Dogs & Horses - Anti Aging News - July 4th, 2020
- Calidi Biotherapeutics Announces Appointment of Jim Schoeneck, Accomplished Biotech Executive, to Board of Directors - StreetInsider.com - July 4th, 2020
- Biology of Mesenchymal Stem Cells | Bentham Science - July 1st, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Skeletal Regeneration ... - July 1st, 2020
- Amniotic Membranes Market is Projected to Expand at a CAGR of ~10% From 2019 to 2027 - Science Examiner - July 1st, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 Projections, Growth Opportunities, Trends, Companies Strategies and Forecast 2024 | Lonza, Thermo Fisher,... - July 1st, 2020
- Citius Receives FDA Response on Pre-Investigational New Drug (PIND) Application for its Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to Treat Acute... - June 30th, 2020
- Amniotic Membrane Market by Product, Application and Forecast to 2027 TMR - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Human Primary Cells Market Global ? How the Market has witnessed Substantial Growth in recent years? - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market Size, 2020-New Technological Change Helping Market, Application, Driver, - PharmiWeb.com - June 30th, 2020
- Research on Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: PromoCell, ThermoFisher, KURABO, Merck, and - 3rd Watch... - June 23rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market 2020 Global Size, Share, Progress Insight, Share, Trends, Industry Key Players-Merck Group, Becton, Dickinson And... - June 23rd, 2020
- Efforts at coronavirus vaccines and treatments abound in the Bay Area - San Francisco Chronicle - June 23rd, 2020
- Exosome Therapeutic Market 2020 Opportunity Ahead of Earnings with evox THERAPEUTICS, EXOCOBIO, Exopharm, AEGLE Therapeutics, United Therapeutics... - June 23rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast 2020 - Owned - June 19th, 2020
- Worldwide Stem Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Growth in the Global Healthcare Market Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - June 19th, 2020
- Human Primary Cells Market Regional Analysis, key Drivers and Restraints, by Product, Top Players and Forecast Analysis 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - June 19th, 2020
- Impressive Trends and Future Scope of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market - 3rd Watch News - June 14th, 2020
- Regenerative Therapy Options for Horses With Osteoarthritis - TheHorse.com - June 14th, 2020
- MSC Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; It's Time to Accelerate Clinical Trials for COVID-19 Patients in Need - P&T Community - June 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Therapeutics: The Leading Contenders - Seeking Alpha - June 6th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth during 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - June 6th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics, ImStem Biotechnology sign non-binding letter of intent regarding investigational MSC candidate IMS001 for Covid-19 - Pharmaceutical... - June 3rd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and ImStem Biotechnology Sign Non-Binding Letter of Intent Regarding Investigational MSC Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Other... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market trends by manufacturers, states, type and application, forecast to 2019 2027 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 3rd, 2020
- Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Treatments Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 3rd, 2020
- MSC Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; It's Time to Accelerate Clinical Trials for COVID-19 Patients in Need - PRNewswire - June 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Characterization Kits Market : Analysis and In-depth Study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2029 - The... - June 3rd, 2020
- Mesoblast (ASX:MSB) reveals promising trial results for lung disease treatment - The Market Herald - June 3rd, 2020
- Longeveron Announces Japanese Approval of Clinical Trial for Treatment of Aging Frailty With Longeveron's Stem Cells | DNA RNA and Cells | News... - June 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 2nd, 2020
- Photoaged Skin Therapy with Adipose-Derived Stem Cells - MedicalResearch.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Intravenously Delivered Mesenchymal Stem Cells Prevent Microvascular Obstruction Formation After Myocardial Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury - DocWire News - June 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Trends Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities,... - June 2nd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - WaterCloud News - June 2nd, 2020
- Global Human Primary Cells Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Bandera County Courier - June 2nd, 2020
- The Week Ahead In Biotech: ASCO Presentations In The Spotlight - Yahoo Finance - May 25th, 2020
- In situ repair abilities of human umbilical cordderived mesenchymal stem cells and autocrosslinked hyaluronic acid gel complex in rhesus monkeys with... - May 23rd, 2020
- We now have a special power to kill the virus - Bangalore Mirror - May 23rd, 2020
- Cells for Cells and Austrianova announce publication on novel method to produce stem cell exosomes - BioSpace - May 23rd, 2020
- Clinical Trial Shows Topical Stem Cell Treatment Leads to Hair Regrowth in Common Type of Baldness - Technology Networks - May 19th, 2020
- Unproven stem cell products are being peddled as COVID-19 'therapies,' U of M researcher reports - MinnPost - May 19th, 2020
- NantKwest Announces FDA Authorization of IND Application for Mesenchymal Stem Cell Product for the Treatment of Severe COVID-19 Patients - Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Can stem cell therapy help - Greater Kashmir - May 19th, 2020
- Be The Match BioTherapies and NantKwest Announce Collaboration to Accelerate Development of Cell Therapy to Prevent COVID-19 Deaths - Business Wire - May 19th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth of CAG - News by aeresearch - May 19th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Microencapsulated Omega3 Powder Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - May 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus Diaries: A Covid scientist on the hunt for a cure, and a GP on what doctors need to learn - Financial Times - May 16th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Stem Cell Therapy to Be Assessed in Severe COVID-19 - Monthly Prescribing Reference - May 16th, 2020
- Umbilical cord stem cells have the potential to treat COVID-19 - Open Access Government - May 14th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Research by Top Manufacturers, Industry Growth, Regional Analysis and Forecast by... - May 14th, 2020
- Citius Announces Data on NoveCite Mesenchymal Stem Cells (NC-MSCs) to be Presented at the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (ASGCT) Annual... - May 14th, 2020
- The Latest Technological Innovations in Orthopedic Surgery 2020 Technology - IMC Grupo - May 14th, 2020
- AMC to use stem cell therapy in treating graft-versus-host disease - Korea Biomedical Review - May 7th, 2020
- 5 Stem Cell Companies Racing Towards COVID-19 ARDS Therapy - Seeking Alpha - May 7th, 2020
- Characterization and Immunomodulation of Canine Amniotic Membrane Stem | SCCAA - Dove Medical Press - May 7th, 2020
- FDA Approves AstraZeneca's Farxiga for Heart Failure in Adults with Reduced Ejection Fraction - BioSpace - May 7th, 2020
- DIABETES RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOUNDATION RECEIVES $3 MILLION GIFT FROM NORTH AMERICA'S BUILDING TRADES UNIONS TO FUND CELL THERAPY FOR COVID-19 -... - May 7th, 2020
- Pass the MUST-ARDS: Athersys starts pivotal study for stem cells to treat COVID-19-induced ARDS - BioWorld Online - May 7th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - May 5th, 2020
- Frontiers | Senescence in Mesenchymal Stem Cells ... - May 5th, 2020
- Investigational new drug may be beneficial in treating severe COVID-19 - BioNews - May 5th, 2020
- BioCardia Announces Positive Preclinical Results Supporting Investigational New Drug Application for Anti-Inflammatory Cell Therapy in Heart Failure -... - May 5th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells | Properties, Process, Functions ... - May 5th, 2020
- Pipeline: Immunotherapies and Other Investigational Therapies for COVID-19 - MPR - Monthly Prescribing Reference - May 5th, 2020
- Cell Freezing Media for Cell Therapy Market Expected to Witness the Highest Grow - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - May 5th, 2020
- Targeted pathological collagen delivery of sustained-release rapamycin to prevent heterotopic ossification - Science Advances - April 30th, 2020
- Biopharmas work to wallop COVID-19 respiratory effects, keeping patients off ventilators - BioWorld Online - April 30th, 2020
- EMA warns against unproven therapies - English - Agenzia ANSA - April 30th, 2020
- US FDA Allows Trial to Proceed for Retrotopes RT001 in the Treatment of Progressive SupraNuclear Palsy (PSP) - Yahoo Finance - April 28th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy shows 83% survival of Coronavirus patients on ventilators - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - April 26th, 2020
- Researcher says stem cell activation could lie at root of health effects of many natural products - NutraIngredients-usa.com - April 26th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells: The 'Other' Bone Marrow Stem Cells - April 24th, 2020
- The Dual Nature of Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs): Yin and ... - April 24th, 2020
- Mesenchymal - Stemcell Technologies - April 24th, 2020
- Stem Cells Market Outlook with a Focus on Clinical Therapies 2020-2030: Types of Stem Cells, Route of Administration, Therapeutic Areas, End-users,... - April 24th, 2020
- Mesenchymal stem cells as a potential treatment for ... - April 24th, 2020
- Researchers turn to stem cells in COVID-19 battle How does the treatment work and does it pose any risk? - Times Now - April 24th, 2020