For over 30 years, doctors have been using cord blood stem cells to treat life threatening conditions. However, the potential uses of stem cells are even more exciting.
Researchers believe that stem cells may be used to treat currently incurable conditions like type 1 diabetes, arthritis, brain injuries, and heart disease. To help you learn more, this article will share the current and future benefits of cord blood for you and your family.
Cord blood stem cells are used to treat more than 80 different blood disorders, cancers, metabolic disorders, and immune disorders. Many of these conditions are debilitating or life-threatening.
As of 2017, over 40,000 umbilical cord blood transplantations have been performed and over 25,000 patients have been cured using stem cells. There are now more than 700,000 cord blood samples stored in public cord blood banks and thousands more in private banks. Some of the illnesses that can be treated using cord blood include:
All of these conditions use the hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) contained within cord blood. HSCs are blood-forming stem cells which can differentiate into any type of blood cell. Much of the latest research involves the use of cord bloods mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), which are multipotent cells capable of turning into several cell types.
There are currently dozens of exciting stem cell research projects and clinical trials underway. Here are some details of the most promising developments.
Parkinsons disease is a neurodegenerative disorder that affects the bodys movements. It is caused by a loss of nerve cells in the part of the brain called the substantia nigra, which can affect dopamine levels.
Researchers from around the globe have joined together to form a Parkinsons Global Force which is looking into the use of stem cells to treat this disease. Several trials have already shown that stem cells can regenerate nerve cells, which means they may be able to help the brain recover and reverse the progress of this terrible disease.
One recent study involved seven patients with moderate Parkinsons disease. They received donor matched allogenic stem cells to avoid genetic influence of the disease. The study found that the treatment could be performed safely. Further research is required to learn how effective stem cell therapy may be.
Type I diabetes is a chronic condition where the pancreas produces an insufficient amount of insulin. It is a life-threatening disease, because of its severe symptoms and the risk of insulin shock (hypoglycemia).
There have been many research projects looking into the use of stem cells to treat type 1 diabetes over the past decade. Researchers believe the engraftment of insulin-producing beta cells will help the patients pancreas produce sufficient insulin. A German clinical trial that is currently underway is testing the safety of this type of procedure. If found to be successful, it could lead to a diabetes treatment which helps millions of people.
Stem cells may be also useful for treating injuries which have caused damage to the nervous system, including spinal cord injuries. Researchers have already discovered that stem cells and oligo-dendrocyte progenitors can promote growth in axons and improve neural connectivity.
The challenge that researchers face is delivering stem cells so they repair the damaged components in the spine. A recent Japanese study involved 13 patients with spinal-cord injury. It found that the patients regained some lost sensation and mobility. There are several other studies looking into the use of mesenchymal stem cells, which are found in cord blood, for treating spinal cord injury.
There are dozens of currently registered clinical trials looking into new stem cell-based therapies for treating ocular diseases. It is a popular research topic because the eye is an immune privileged site, which means it can tolerate stem cell transplants well.
ALS is a devastating neurodegenerative disease that causes degeneration of the bodys motor neurons, causing a loss of motor function. Researchers have already tested the use of mesenchymal stem cells on mice with positive results. There are several planned and ongoing clinical trials on the way to assess the safety of using stem cells this way.
Storing your childs umbilical cord blood stem cells means you have complete control over a valuable medical resource which can be used in many different ways. Cord blood can be used today to treat many cancers, blood disorders, metabolic disorders, and immune disorders.
In the future, having cord blood available could mean your child or a close relative can recover more easily from a neurodegenerative condition, spinal injury, or ocular disease. It may even be useful for treating minor injuries or improving a family members quality of life.
To learn more about the potential uses of cord blood stem cells, contact us or visit our blog.
https://blog.medcells.ae/blog/umbilical-cord-blood-a-history-of-clinical-use https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/cord-blood-what-you-need-know https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5580430/ https://brainfoundation.org.au/disorders/parkinsons-disease https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1586/1473722.214.171.1247 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30696963/ https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31159345/ https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00989547?term=NCT00989547&rank=1 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7367472/ https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0967586813003573
- Cord Blood Stem Cells: An Overview | The Center for ... - March 7th, 2021
- Stem cells can give new life to ovaries and potentially restore fertility - Salon - March 7th, 2021
- Chromosomal translocation t(11;14) and p53 deletion induced by the CRISPR/Cas9 system in normal B cell-derived iPS cells - DocWire News - March 7th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies... - March 5th, 2021
- Black people are three times less likely to find a bone marrow donor than white people - WLNS - March 5th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Spin-off Campbell Neurosciences Announces Umbilical Cord Derived Monocyte Immunotherapy Candidate for Suicide... - March 5th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2020 In-depth study, Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecast to 2025 The... - March 5th, 2021
- Why Global Cord Blood Corporation Stock Is Jumping Today - Motley Fool - March 3rd, 2021
- NYCU shares lung therapy data with firms - - March 3rd, 2021
- Covid-19 Impact on Global Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market (2020-2025) | Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term... - March 3rd, 2021
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Analysis By Industry Value, Size, Top Companies And Growth Forecast To 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - March 3rd, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Corp.: Subscriber Growth Continues With 23% EPS CAGR And 25% FCF Yield - Seeking Alpha - March 3rd, 2021
- Overcoming chemotherapy resistance in leukemia with a diarrhea drug from Merck - FierceBiotech - March 3rd, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Banking Services Market 2021 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by... - February 21st, 2021
- Global Research Antibodies Market 2017-2027 - Global Market is Forecast to Reach $5.33 Billion, Growing at a CAGR of 5.9% to 2027 -... - February 19th, 2021
- ThermoGenesis Holdings Begins a Year of Celebration of its 35th Anniversary in the Cell Banking and Cell Therapy Industry - PRNewswire - February 19th, 2021
- Thawing Equipment Market 2020 Global Industry Growth, Trends, Share, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, and Demands Research Report|| Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - February 17th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market Size and Forecast (2021-2027) | By Top Leading Players ThermoGenesis, CBR Systems, China Cord Blood... - February 17th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Industry to 2027 - Profiling Allosource, Medipost and Mesoblast Among Others - PRNewswire - February 12th, 2021
- Hope grows for blood cancer patients, as cell therapy firm's key trial succeeds - The Times of Israel - February 12th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Set to Reach USD 214.5 Million by 2024 - The Courier - February 12th, 2021
- Stem Cell Reconstructive Market Current Scenario, Shares, Latest Innovations, Analysis and Forecasts to 2023 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 12th, 2021
- GMDA Stock Price Increases Over 40% Pre-Market: Why It Happened - Pulse 2.0 - February 12th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Factors Boosting Industry To Record An Impressive Growth The Courier - The Courier - February 12th, 2021
- Growth Factors of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market with Emerging Trends and Revenue Estimation By 2026 - AlgosOnline - February 12th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market 2020 Industry Scenario, Strategies, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 3rd, 2021
- India Stem Cell Market speedy growth at US$ 1.27 Bn by 2028 with Thermofisher Scientific India, Pluristem Technologies, Becton Dickinson Private... - February 3rd, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And... - February 2nd, 2021
- #FillTheSeats to save lives this February with Canadian Blood Services - Sportsnet.ca - February 2nd, 2021
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Industry 2020 Market Challenges, Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 ... - January 28th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Reports Regression of Glioma, Lung Cancer and Colorectal Cancer using StemVacs in Animal Models - PRNewswire - January 28th, 2021
- Trending News: Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Analysis Overview and Forecast To 2026 | Top players: Athersys, Astellas Pharma, Anterogen,... - January 28th, 2021
- Every day is a success for little boy with leukaemia after life-saving transplant - Grimsby Live - January 28th, 2021
- [Full text] Clinical Analysis of Bloodstream Infections During Agranulocytosis Aft | IDR - Dove Medical Press - January 19th, 2021
- Industry News: RheinCell Therapeutics achieves milestone GMP certification to manufacture cord blood-derived iPSCs for safe and compliant cell... - January 19th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Is Expected To Gain Market Growth In The Forecast Period Of 2020 To 2026||ViaCord, CBR Systems, Inc, SMART CELLS PLUS,... - January 17th, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Highlights Recent Progress and Expected Timing of 2021 Milestones, Including Fo - PharmiWeb.com - January 17th, 2021
- Biopreservation Market To Register Phenomenal Growth and Competitive Outlook 2027 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 17th, 2021
- Cate Dyer of StemExpress is Named Businesswoman of the Year! - PRNewswire - January 17th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market 2020 Precise Scenario Covering Trends, Opportunities and Growth Forecast 2025 - KSU | The... - January 12th, 2021
- Gamida Cell to Present Full Data from Phase 3 Study of Omidubicel at TCT, the Combined Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Meetings of ASTCT and... - January 12th, 2021
- Coronavirus Impact Editon of Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Report Future Development, Top Manufacturers, Technological Advancement,... - January 10th, 2021
- Global Organ and Tissue Transplantation and Alternatives Market to 2024 - Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- Overview of current adipose-derived stem cell (ADSCs) processing involved in therapeutic advancements: flow chart and regulation updates before and... - January 6th, 2021
- Hemostemix steps into the new year with capital and its critical clinical study data in hand - InvestorIntel - January 6th, 2021
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Competitive Intelligence, SWOT Analysis, Strategies, And Tracking Report 2021 2026 | Chart, Shengjie... - January 6th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2027 - LionLowdown - January 4th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | BioCell Pty. Ltd., Kaneka... - December 30th, 2020
- "Vital To Life" Blood Drive Returns To iPlay America On January 2nd - New Jersey Stage - December 30th, 2020
- He got his cheek swabbed at 24. Nothing happened for 14 years. - Las Vegas Review-Journal - December 27th, 2020
- Research Assistant - Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology job with NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE | 239606 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 27th, 2020
- Organ and Tissue Transplantation and Alternatives - GlobeNewswire - December 23rd, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Systems Market Growth, Ongoing Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 | CBR Systems, China... - December 23rd, 2020
- Outlook on the Biopreservation Global Market to 2026 - Profiling Avantor, BioLife Solutions and ThermoGenesis Among Others - GlobeNewswire - December 23rd, 2020
- Jet It Partners with Be The Match to Aid Life-Saving Transportation - WFMZ Allentown - December 20th, 2020
- Umbilical Cord Blood Banking Market to explore huge growth in the upcoming period 2020-2028| Key Players Cord Blood America, Inc, Cordlife Group... - December 17th, 2020
- Jet It Partners with Be The Match to Aid Life-Saving Transportation - Avery Journal Times - December 17th, 2020
- Ash Pollard's wise words on navigating the newborn trenches - Now To Love - December 17th, 2020
- 2017 Amtrak tragedy becomes call-to-action for Blood Donor Day this Sat., Dec. 18 - SeaTac Blog - December 17th, 2020
- What is Cord Blood? | CBR - December 11th, 2020
- SNUH finds way to produce T-cells to prevent HSCT complications - Korea Biomedical Review - December 11th, 2020
- Biobanking Market Reflecting Growth Propelled by its Extensive Industrial Applications: Fact.MR - Yahoo Finance - December 11th, 2020
- Is it Time to Dump Gamida Cell Ltd (GMDA) Stock After it Is Higher By 39.15% in a Week? - InvestorsObserver - December 11th, 2020
- Blood stem cell donation need of the hour as blood cancer cases rise - United News of India - December 6th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Based Therapies Market Research Report 2020: Market Competition Trend and Price by Manufacturers till 2026 - Factory Maintenance - December 6th, 2020
- Trends Of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2027 - The Market Feed - December 3rd, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: Chart, Worthington Industries,... - December 3rd, 2020
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) Market | Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2026 - Khabar South... - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Expansion Projected to Gain an Uptick During 2020-2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cells Cryopreservation Equipments Market Growth and Current Status of Industry Surveyed in New Research Report | (2020-2027) - The... - December 3rd, 2020
- Cord Blood Stem Cells Market Growth, Analysis of Key Players, Trends, Drivers - Khabar South Asia - December 1st, 2020
- Placental Stem Cells (PSCS) Market 2020-2027 to Show Tremendous Growth || Leading Players StemCyte India Therapeutics Pvt. Ltd, PerkinElmer Inc,... - December 1st, 2020
- Vitalant to Hold Blood Donation Event on December 5 in Freehold - TAPinto.net - December 1st, 2020
- Research Antibodies Market is Driven by Increasing Incidence of Chronic Diseases and Life-threatening Diseases - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- The roles bone marrow plays in the body - Therogersvillereview - November 28th, 2020
- Revenue from the Sales of Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation Market to Witness Relatively Significant Growth During 2017 2025 - Canaan Mountain... - November 28th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market is estimated to account for US$ 18289.9 Mn by end of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI) - Business Wire - November 25th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking emerges as a lifesaver - India Education Diary - November 25th, 2020
- Septic shock and pneumonia triggered by SARS-CoV-2 could be treated by radiation-activated MSCs - News-Medical.Net - November 25th, 2020
- Community Cord Blood Banking saves life of child with aplastic anaemia - The Hindu - November 20th, 2020