DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Global Cord Blood Banking Industry Report 2020" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
This report presents the number of cord blood units stored in inventory by the largest cord blood banks worldwide and the number of cord blood units (CBUs) released by registries across the world for hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) transplantation. Although cord blood is now used to treat more than 80 different diseases, this number could substantially expand if applications related to regenerative medicine start receiving approvals in major healthcare markets worldwide.
From the early 1900s through the mid-2000s, the global cord blood banking industry expanded rapidly, with companies opening for business in all major markets worldwide. From 2005 to 2010, the market reached saturation and stabilized.
Then, from 2010 to 2020, the market began to aggressively consolidate. This has created both serious threats and unique opportunities within the industry.
Serious threats to the industry include low rates of utilization for stored cord blood, expensive cord blood transplantation procedures, difficulty educating obstetricians about cellular therapies, and an increasing trend toward industry consolidation. There are also emerging opportunities for the industry, such as accelerated regulatory pathways for cell therapies in leading healthcare markets worldwide and expanding applications for cell-based therapies. In particular, MSCs from cord tissue (and other sources) are showing intriguing promise in the treatment and management of COVID-19.
Cord Blood Industry Trends
Within recent years, new themes have been impacting the industry, including the pairing of stem cell storage services with genetic and genomic testing services, as well as reproductive health services. Cord blood banks are diversifying into new types of stem cell storage, including umbilical cord tissue storage, placental blood and tissue, amniotic fluid and tissue, and dental pulp. Cord blood banks are also investigating means of becoming integrated therapeutic companies. With hundreds of companies offering cord blood banking services worldwide, maturation of the market means that each company is fighting harder for market share.
Growing numbers of investors are also entering the marketplace, with M&A activity accelerating in the U.S. and abroad. Holding companies are emerging as a global theme, allowing for increased operational efficiency and economy of scale. Cryoholdco has established itself as the market leader within Latin America. Created in 2015, Cryoholdco is a holding company that will control nearly 270,000 stem cell units by the end of 2020. It now owns a half dozen cord blood banks, as well as a dental stem cell storage company.
Globally, networks of cord blood banks have become commonplace, with Sanpower Group establishing its dominance in Asia. Although Sanpower has been quiet about its operations, it holds 4 licenses out of only 7 issued provincial-level cord blood bank licenses in China. It has reserved over 900,000 cord blood samples in China, and its reserves amount to over 1.2 million units when Cordlife' reserves within Southeast Asian countries are included. This positions Sanpower Group and it's subsidiary Nanjing Cenbest as the world's largest cord blood banking operator not only in China and Southeast Asia but in the world.
The number of cord blood banks in Europe has dropped by more than one-third over the past ten years, from approximately 150 to under 100. The industry leaders in this market segment include FamiCord Group, who has executed a dozen M&A transactions, and Vita34, who has executed approximately a half dozen. Stemlab, the largest cord blood bank in Portugal, also executed three acquisition deals prior to being acquired by FamiCord. FamiCord is now the leading stem cell bank in Europe and one of the largest worldwide.
Cord Blood Expansion Technologies
Because cord blood utilization is largely limited to use in pediatric patients, growing investment is flowing into ex vivo cord blood expansion technologies. If successful, this technology could greatly expand the market potential for cord blood, encouraging its use within new markets, such as regenerative medicine, aging, and augmented immunity.
Key strategies being explored for this purpose include:
Currently, Gamida Cell, Nohla Therapeutics, Excellthera, and Magenta Therapeutics have ex vivo cord blood expansion products proceeding through clinical trials. Growing numbers of investors have also entered the cord blood banking marketplace, led by groups such as GI Partners, ABS Capital Partners & HLM Management, KKR & Company, Bay City Capital, GTCR, LLC, and Excalibur.
Cord Blood Banking by Region
Within the United States, most of the market share is controlled by three major players: Cord Blood Registry (CBR), Cryo-Cell, and ViaCord. CBR has been traded twice, once in 2015 to AMAG Pharmaceuticals for $700 million and again in 2018 to GI Partners for $530 million. CBR also bought Natera's Evercord Cord Blood Banking business in September 2019. In total, CBR controls over 900,000 cord blood and tissue samples, making it one of the largest cord blood banks worldwide.
In China, the government controls the industry by authorizing only one cord blood bank to operate within each province, and official government support, authorization, and permits are required. Importantly, the Chinese government announced in late 2019 that it will be issuing new licenses for the first time, expanding from the current 7 licensed regions for cord blood banking to up to 19 regions, including Beijing.
In Italy and France, it is illegal to privately store one's cord blood, which has fully eliminated the potential for a private market to exist within the region. In Ecuador, the government created the first public cord blood bank and instituted laws such that private cord blood banks cannot approach women about private cord blood banking options during the first six months of pregnancy. This created a crisis for private banks, forcing most out of business.
Recently, India's Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) restricted commercial banking of stem cells from most biological materials, including cord tissue, placenta, and dental pulp stem cells - leaving only umbilical cord blood banking as permitted and licensed within the country.
While market factors vary by geography, it is crucial to have a global understanding of the industry, because research advances, clinical trial findings, and technology advances do not know international boundaries. The cord blood market is global in nature and understanding dynamics within your region is not sufficient for making strategic, informed, and profitable decisions.
Overall, the report provides the reader with the following details and answers the following questions:
1. Number of cord blood units cryopreserved in public and private cord blood banks globally
2. Number of hematopoietic stem cell transplants (HSCTs) globally using cord blood cells
3. Utilization of cord blood cells in clinical trials for developing regenerative medicines
4. The decline of the utilization of cord blood cells in HSC transplantations since 2005
5. Emerging technologies to influence the financial sustainability of public cord blood banks
6. The future scope for companion products from cord blood
7. The changing landscape of cord blood cell banking market
8. Extension of services by cord blood banks
9. Types of cord blood banks
10. The economic model of public cord blood banks
11. Cost analysis for public cord blood banks
12. The economic model of private cord blood banks
13. Cost analysis for private cord blood banks
14. Profit margins for private cord blood banks
15. Pricing for processing and storage in private banks
16. Rate per cord blood unit in the U.S. and Europe
17. Indications for the use of cord blood-derived HSCs for transplantations
18. Diseases targeted by cord blood-derived MSCs in regenerative medicine
19. Cord blood processing technologies
20. Number of clinical trials, number of published scientific papers and NIH funding for cord blood research
21. Transplantation data from different cord blood registries
Key questions answered in this report are:
1. What are the strategies being considered for improving the financial stability of public cord blood banks?
2. What are the companion products proposed to be developed from cord blood?
3. How much is being spent on processing and storing a unit of cord blood?
4. How much does a unit of cryopreserved cord blood unit fetch on release?
5. Why do most public cord blood banks incur a loss?
6. What is the net profit margin for a private cord blood bank?
7. What are the prices for processing and storage of cord blood in private cord blood banks?
8. What are the rates per cord blood units in the U.S. and Europe?
9. What are the revenues from cord blood sales for major cord blood banks?
10. Which are the different accreditation systems for cord blood banks?
11. What are the comparative merits of the various cord blood processing technologies?
12. What is to be done to increase the rate of utilization of cord blood cells in transplantations?
13. Which TNC counts are preferred for transplantation?
14. What is the number of registered clinical trials using cord blood and cord tissue?
15. How many clinical trials are involved in studying the expansion of cord blood cells in the laboratory?
16. How many matching and mismatching transplantations using cord blood units are performed on an annual basis?
17. What is the share of cord blood cells used for transplantation from 2000 to 2020?
18. What is the likelihood of finding a matching allogeneic cord blood unit by ethnicity?
19. Which are the top ten countries for donating cord blood?
20. What are the diseases targeted by cord blood-derived MSCs within clinical trials?
Key Topics Covered
1. Report Overview
2. Cord Blood & Cord Blood Banking: An Overview
3. Cord Blood Bank Accreditation(s)
4. Applications of Cord Blood Cells
5. Cord Blood Processing Technologies
6. Cord Blood Clinical Trials, Scientific Publications & NIH Funding
7. Parent's Awareness and Attitude Towards Cord Blood Banking
8. Cord Blood: as a Transplantation Medicine
9. Cord Blood Cells as Therapeutic Cell Products in Cell Therapy
10. Market Analysis
11. Profiles of Select Cord Blood Banks
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/5q9vpq
Read this article:
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Files Annual Report on Form 20-F - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2021
- Stem cell company asked to compensate couple - Times of India - July 31st, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Production, Consumption, Worldwide Business, Revenue, Price Trend by Product Type, Analysis by 2027 The Manomet... - July 31st, 2021
- LifeCell International appoints Mullen Lintas as their creative partner - ETBrandEquity.com - July 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Stem Cell Banking Industry to 2026 - Featuring CBR Systems, Cordlife and Lifecell Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - July 17th, 2021
- Stem Cells Market Key Players, Competitive Landscape, Growth, Statistics, Revenue and Industry Analysis Report by 2027 The Manomet Current - The... - July 13th, 2021
- Shawn Johnson East is among influencers promoting cord blood banking. What is it? - Yahoo News - July 9th, 2021
- Bringing the clinic home - Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences - July 9th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2019 2026 Rust Wire - Rust Wire - July 9th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market Demand Analysis and Projected huge Growth By 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 3rd, 2021
- Need-based innovations happen overnight in India: Padmashri Dr. Manjula Anagani - ETHealthworld.com - July 1st, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market by Technology, Application & Geography Analysis & Forecast to 2028 ||CBR Systems, Inc Cordlife Cells4Life... - June 29th, 2021
- Stem Cells Banking Market Estimated to Boost in Near Future 2027 with Top Key Players KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - June 29th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year of Fiscal 2021 - PRNewswire - June 29th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market is Projected to Witness an Upward Growth Over 2027: SGS Life Sciences, Lonza, CCBC, Vcanbio The Manomet Current - The... - June 24th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Corporation to Report Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2021 Financial Results - Yahoo Finance - June 22nd, 2021
- Cord Stem Cell Banking Market 2021-Competitive Insights: CBR Systems, Inc., Cordlife, Cells4Life Group LLP, Cryo-Cell International, Inc., Cryo-Save... - June 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19 Impact on Cancer Stem Cells Market to Witness Comprehensive Growth by 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 16th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Forecast 2021 to 2028 Global Analysis and Forecasts By Application And Segment with Growth Rate, Competitive Trends... - June 16th, 2021
- HealthLynked Corp. Presents At The World Stem Cell Summit On Thursday, June 17, 2021 At 12:45pm Eastern Standard Time - Stockhouse - June 16th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report | Know the Growth Factors and Future Scope to 2021 2027 The Courier - The Courier - June 16th, 2021
- North America Pharmaceutical Contract Packaging Market Analysis, Recent Trends and Growth Forecast by 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 16th, 2021
- Mining Truck Market Share, Outlook, Future Growth and Opportunities by 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 16th, 2021
- India Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Covering Impact of COVID-19, Financial Information, Developments and SWOT Analysis KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - June 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Size to Reach USD 28.85 Billion in 2028 - GlobeNewswire - June 13th, 2021
- Global Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2020 to 2025 Research Covers Top Players SGS Life Sciences, Wuxi Apptec, Vcanbio, Lonza, Thermo Fisher, CCBC,... - June 11th, 2021
- Avalon GloboCare to Present at the Noble Capital Markets Investor Forum During the 16th Annual World - GlobeNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- COVID-19 Pandemic: Cancer Stem Cells Market Will Propel the Growth with Its Advanced Approaches In 2020 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 11th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Growth Factor with Key Drivers Analysis till 2026 | Cord Blood Registry (CBR) Systems, Cordlife Group Limited,... - June 9th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market Revolutionary Trends in Industry Groeth Statistics By 2027 The Courier - The Courier - June 9th, 2021
- Seminar on future stem cell treatment in Libya - The Libya Observer - June 9th, 2021
- GMP Cell Banking Services Market Overview Of The Key Driving Forces To Create Positive Impact On The Industry Growth 2026 The Courier - The Courier - June 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Size, Business Growth Tactics, Future Strategies, Competitive Outlook and Forecast to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - June 5th, 2021
- Umbilical Cord Blood Banking: Pros & Cons, Costs, Basics - June 1st, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Houston | Sugar Land - Hope Biosciences - June 1st, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market | Growing at a CAGR of 8.2% ... - May 28th, 2021
- Global GMP Cell Banking Services Market Revenue Is To Reach A Value Of CAGR Forecast Till 2027 - PharmiWeb.com - May 28th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Innovative Solutions to Boost Global Growth, Overview, Driver, Restraints, Deployments and Key Players... - May 28th, 2021
- Chemical Filters Market Will Generate Record Revenue by 2027 Covid-19 Analysis The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market to Witness Growth Acceleration | Cryo-Save Ag (A Subsidiary Of Esperite NV), Lifecell International, Stemcyte, Viacord (A... - May 22nd, 2021
- Global Cord Stem Cell Banking Market In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2028||Cryo-Cell International,... - May 22nd, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market with Top Growth Companies, Size, Trends, Industry Analysis, and Key Players, Forecast 2020-2028 The Courier - The... - May 22nd, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Banking Services Market Regional Demand, Revenue, Sales Data, and Industry Forecast to 2027 Wall Street Call - Reported Times - May 16th, 2021
- Biopreservation Market Know the diverse technological advancements in the biopreservation - BioSpace - May 16th, 2021
- StemCyte Inc. Extends Umbilical Cord Blood Collection Operation at Three Hospital Collection Sites in Southern California - PRNewswire - May 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size 2020, Share, Global Trends, Comprehensive Research Study, Development Status The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis 2021 Upcoming Trends, Latest Innovations, Key Players and Competitive Strategies by 2027 The Courier - The Courier - May 14th, 2021
- Europe Biobanks Market In-depth Analysis on Latest Trend, Current Status and Insight Driven Transformation 2021-2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - May 14th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Banking Services Market-Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) By Type, End User, Application, and Region. Clark County Blog -... - May 14th, 2021
- Cryo-Cell International Proudly Announces Two Ongoing COVID-19 Related Trials - GlobeNewswire - May 10th, 2021
- How many creepy childhood keepsakes are too many? - Salon - May 10th, 2021
- Emerging Trend: Stem Cell Banking Market Business Strategy and Forecast to 2028 | Cord Blood Registry Systems, Cordlife, Cryo-Cell International The... - May 9th, 2021
- Informative Report On Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - May 9th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market by Type (Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell, Embryonic Stem Cell, Adult Stem Cell, Other, Stem Cell Bankin), By... - May 9th, 2021
- Upcoming Opportunities in Stem Cell Banking Market: Future Trend and Analysis of Key Segments and Forecast 2021 to 2026 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - May 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- CCBC, CBR, ViaCord, Esperite, Vcanbio, etc. ... - May 5th, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Witness an Outstanding Growth and Strong Revenue and Forecast 2027 The Courier - The Courier - May 5th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis and Forecast (2018-2024) The Courier - The Courier - April 30th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2021-2027) By Type, Application and Region The Courier - The Courier - April 28th, 2021
- India Cord Stem Cell Banking Market to gain significant revenue and Competitive Outlook UP To 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - April 24th, 2021
- Growth Prospects of Stem Cell Banking Market: Business Outlook 2021-2026 by Global Stem Cell Banking Market, By Type, 2016-2021, 2022-2027 ($... - April 24th, 2021
- LifeCell is strengthening its diagnostics and biologics business divisions - BusinessLine - April 24th, 2021
- Excellthera and Ossium Health Announce a Collaboration to Advance Their Technologies and Platforms to Improve Human Health - StreetInsider.com - April 24th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market is Expected to Deliver Higher Revenue in Next 5 Years Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - April 24th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Potential Growth During 2021-2026, Industry Share and Demand Analysis of Key Players NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - April 18th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market Detailed Analysis and Forecast To-2028 The Courier - The Courier - April 18th, 2021
- Innovative Report on Stem Cell Banking Market with Innovations, Competitive Analysis and New Business Developments NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - April 18th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Technologies and Applications Market 2020-2030 - Yahoo Finance - April 18th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 Research by Top Manufacturers, Business Growth and Forecast to 2025 - The Courier - April 18th, 2021
- Meet The Company Reprogramming The Future Of Synthetic Biology - Forbes - April 18th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Registering A CAGR Of 11.03% In The Forecast 2026||SMART CELLS PLUS, LifeCell International, Global Cord Blood... - April 14th, 2021
- Biobanking Market 2021 Trending Technologies, Development Plans, Future Growth and Geographical Regions to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - April 14th, 2021
- [Full text] Binding of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein | HMER - Dove Medical Press - April 14th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis and Forecast (2019-2024) KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 10th, 2021
- STEM CELL BANKING Market Competitive Landscape, Analysis Report By Product, By Application, By End Use, By Region And Segment Forecasts from 2021 To... - April 10th, 2021
- COVID-19 Impacts: Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR xx% Through 2021-2027 | Rising Technological Innovations to Boost Growth | ... - April 10th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Growth and Top Companies Analysis- CCBC, CBR, ViaCord, Esperite, Vcanbio, etc. The Bisouv Network... - April 6th, 2021
- Episode 46: 3 ways to enhance the veterinary client experience - DVM 360 - April 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis- CCBC, CBR,... - April 3rd, 2021
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market to gain significant revenue in the Period of 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - March 30th, 2021