In response to emailed questions, Cellino Biotech CEO and Co-founder Dr. Nabiha Saklayen, talked about the formation of the company and its goal to make stem cell therapies more accessible for patients.
Why did you start this company?
I see a huge need to develop a technology platform to enable the manufacture of cell therapies at scale. We recently closed a $16 million seed financing round led by Khosla Ventures and The Engine at MIT, with participation from Humboldt Fund. Cellino is on a mission to make personalized, autologous cell therapies accessible for patients. Stem cell-derived regenerative medicines are poised to cure some of the most challenging diseases within this decade, including Parkinsons, diabetes, and heart disease. Patient-specific cells provide the safest, most effective cures for these indications. However, current autologous processes are not scalable due to extensive manual handling, high variability, and expensive facility overhead. Cellinos vision is to make personalized regenerative medicines viable at large scale for the first time.
How did you meet your co-founders?
I met my co-founder Marinna Madrid in my Ph.D. research group. We had worked together for many years and had a fantastic working relationship. I then met our third co-founder Matthias Wagner through a friend. Matthias had built and run three optical technology companies in the Boston area and was looking to work with a new team. I was thrilled when we decided to launch the startup together at our second meeting. Matthias built the first Cellino hardware systems in what I like to call Matthias garage. In parallel, I was doing hundreds of expert interviews with biologists in academia and industry, and it started to narrow down our potential applications very quickly. Marinna was doing our first experiments with iPSCs. We iterated rapidly on building new versions of the hardware based on the features that were important to industry experts, such as single-cell precision and automation. Its incredible to witness our swift progress as a team.
What specific need or pain point are you seeking to address in healthcare/life sciences?
In general, autologous therapies are safer for patients because they do not require immunosuppression. The next iteration of cell therapies would use patient-specific stem cells banked ahead of time. Anytime a patient needs new cells, such as blood cells, neurons, or skin cells, we would generate them from a stem cell bank.
Today, patient-specific stem cell generation is a manual and artisanal process. A highly skilled scientist sits at a bench, looks at cells by eye, and removes unwanted cells with a pipette tip. Many upcoming clinical trials are using manual processes to produce stem cells for about ten to twenty patients.
At Cellino, we are converging different disciplines to automate this complex process. We use an AI-based laser system comes to remove any unwanted cells. By making stem cells for every human in an automated, scalable way, we are working towards our mission at Cellino to democratize personalized regenerative medicine.
What does your technology do? How does it work?
Cellinos platform combines label-free imaging and high-speed laser editing with machine learning to automate cell reprogramming, expansion, and differentiation in a closed cassette format, enabling thousands of patient samples to be processed in parallel in a single facility.
In general, autologous, patient-specific stem cell-derived therapies do not require immunosuppression and are safer for patients. Today, patient-specific stem cells are made manually, by hand. To scale the stem cell generation process, Cellino converges different disciplines to automate this complex process. We train machine learning algorithms to characterize cells before our AI-based laser system removes any unwanted cells. By making stem cells for every human in an automated, scalable way, our mission at Cellino is to democratize personalized regenerative medicine. Thats why our vision statement is Every human. Every cell.
Whats your background in healthcare? How did you get to where you are today?
When I arrived at Harvard University for my Ph.D. in physics, I wanted to be closer to real-world applications. Biology is inherently complex and beautiful, and I was interested in developing new physics-based tools to engineer cells with precision. During my Ph.D., I invented new ways to edit cells with laser-based nanomaterials. I collaborated with many brilliant biology groups at Harvard, including the Rossi, Scadden, and Church labs. Working closely with them convinced me that lasers offer a superior solution to editing cells with high precision. That realization compelled me to launch Cellino.
Do you have clinical validation for your product?
Our immediate goal for the next year is to show that our platform can produce personalized, high-quality, R&D-grade stem cells for different patients, which has not been established in an automated manner in the regenerative medicine industry so far. There is significant patient-to-patient variability in manual cell processing, which we eliminate with our platform.
Photo: Urupong, Getty Images
See the rest here:
- New Cell Therapy Shows Promise in Treating HIV - BioSpace - May 14th, 2021
- The Worldwide Stem Cell Therapy Industry is Projected to Reach $401 Million by 2026 at a CAGR of 16.5% from 2021 - PRNewswire - May 14th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market 2021 Top Players Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Cytori Therapeutics, Takeda (TiGenix), Cynata, Celyad,... - May 14th, 2021
- ONLINE: The Future of Heart Care - Isthmus - May 14th, 2021
- Rinri Therapeutics Secures Innovate UK Funding Grant for 3.2m Project to Advance its Novel Cell-Based Therapy to Restore Hearing Loss - PRNewswire - May 14th, 2021
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Presents Positive Clinical Data from Fanconi Anemia, Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency-I, and Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency Programs... - May 14th, 2021
- Cytovia Therapeutics Expands Leadership Team - GlobeNewswire - May 14th, 2021
- Stem Cell and Regenerative Therapy Market COVID-19 impact analysis, segmentation, key players, opportunities and forecast 2020 - 2026 - WhaTech - May 14th, 2021
- Comprehensive Atlas of Reef-Building Corals Cells Created - The Scientist - May 14th, 2021
- Fascination with stem cell sensation leads to Fulbright scholarship - Monash University - May 12th, 2021
- The Competitive Zeal To Decide The Dimensions Of Growth Of The Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Market The Courier - The Courier - May 12th, 2021
- Gene therapy offers potential cure to children born without an immune system - UCLA Newsroom - May 12th, 2021
- With $52 Million Series A, Appia Bio Anticipates a Bright Future in Cell Therapy - BioSpace - May 12th, 2021
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products Market Size Worth $21.2 Billion By 2028: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - May 12th, 2021
- The Univer-cell Alchemist: Dr Subhadra Dravidas breakthrough research on novel stem cell treatment for Covid patients - The New Indian Express - May 10th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021-2026: Industry Analysis, Geographical Segmentation, Drivers, Challenges, and Trend & Forecasts KSU | The Sentinel... - May 9th, 2021
- Hope, hype and exploitation the wild history of stem cell science - ABC News - May 2nd, 2021
- Scientists create first-of-its-kind 3D organoid model of the human pancreas - Newswise - May 2nd, 2021
- Researchers map the first complete atlas of single cells that make up the human teeth - News-Medical.net - April 30th, 2021
- Researchers develop first 3D organoid models of the pancreas from human stem cells - News-Medical.net - April 30th, 2021
- The first comprehensive single-cell atlas of human teeth - Newswise - April 30th, 2021
- Revotek Deploys Its Bioink Technology to Research Institutes - PRNewswire - April 30th, 2021
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals Announces Upcoming Clinical Data Presentations at the 24th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy -... - April 30th, 2021
- Controversial experiment with human cells growing in monkey embryos | Science and Health - SwordsToday.ie - April 30th, 2021
- Adipose Tissue-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCS) Market Value with Volume and Growth Prospects 2021 to 2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 30th, 2021
- Placental-derived stem cell therapy shows promise to heal intestinal disease in premature babies - News-Medical.Net - April 28th, 2021
- Tissue Regeneration Market: Stem Cell Therapy to be Highly Attractive Segment - BioSpace - April 28th, 2021
- Repairing stroke and Alzheimer's disease damage with stem cell therapy - Health Europa - April 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Growth And Change To 2030 - Yahoo Finance - April 28th, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics to Present at American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy 2021 Annual Meeting - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- Vitro Biopharma Inc. January 31st 2021, 1st Quarter ended Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Letter - Benzinga - April 28th, 2021
- Longeveron Selected to Present at the 2021 World Stem Cell Summit - GlobeNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- Prostate organoid technology - the new POT of gold in prostate stem cell and cancer research - DocWire News - April 28th, 2021
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and Mayo Clinic Researchers Develop New Technique to Study 'Microcancers' and Screen Cancer-Fighting Drugs -... - April 28th, 2021
- Research with fetal tissue from elective abortion called 'deeply offensive' - Catholic San Francisco - April 28th, 2021
- Integration of Cellular Therapy Jumpstarts Research Efforts in Acute Leukemias - OncLive - April 28th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetes and Related Conditions Market 2021 Competitive Insights Sanofi, Novo Nordisk, Mesoblast, Caladrius Biosciences,... - April 26th, 2021
- This technology was designed to grow human cells. Now it's transforming the cultured meat industry. - Massive Science - April 26th, 2021
- Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market is Projected to Grow at a CAGR of 9.3% during (2018 2026) NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - April 26th, 2021
- Top Key-Players To Be Restored To The First Position In The Recombinant Cell Culture Supplements Market The Courier - The Courier - April 26th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Global Market Report (2020-2027) Segmented by Type, Application and region (NA, EU, and etc.) The... - April 26th, 2021
- Three-dimensional microscale hanging drop arrays with geometric control for drug screening and live tissue imaging - Science Advances - April 24th, 2021
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Rise in Incidence of Chronic Conditions to Drive the Market - BioSpace - April 24th, 2021
- How Brown neuroscientists are using CRISPR to accelerate brain research and more - Brown University - April 24th, 2021
- Biotechnology in BCfuture treatments and potential cures for cancer - UBC Faculty of Medicine - UBC Faculty of Medicine - April 24th, 2021
- Scientists have moved closer to making organisms that are part human and part animal - Scroll.in - April 24th, 2021
- Impact of COVID-19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market is Booming Worldwide with Magellan, Medipost Co., Ltd, Osiris Therapeutics, Inc., Kolon TissueGene,... - April 24th, 2021
- Single-Use Bioreactors Market by Type of Reactor, Scale of Operation, Cell Culture System, Type of Molecule, Application Area, Purpose, End-User, and... - April 24th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy promotes recovery from stroke and dementia in mice - UCLA Newsroom - April 22nd, 2021
- Accelerating Cures Through Research - New York Stem Cell ... - April 22nd, 2021
- Stem cell therapy can repair brain damage and improve memory function in mice - News-Medical.Net - April 22nd, 2021
- 'Re-imagining' mice and men - The Highland County Press - April 22nd, 2021
- Research with fetal tissue from elective abortion called 'deeply offensive' - The Catholic Sun - April 22nd, 2021
- Research with fetal tissue from abortion called 'deeply offensive' - CatholicPhilly.com - April 22nd, 2021
- Do our brains age faster than the rest of our bodies? - ScienceBlog.com - April 22nd, 2021
- Study discovers mechanism involved in the development of metaplasia in the esophagus - News-Medical.Net - April 22nd, 2021
- Research Reveals Distinct Types of Cells That May Be Involved in Breathing-Related Diseases in Infants - Technology Networks - April 22nd, 2021
- Breakthrough Paper Outlines Path to Heart Regeneration After Cardiac Injury - PR Web - April 22nd, 2021
- Stem Cells Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2018-2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 20th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Study Report and In-deep Analysis 2020 2026 The Courier - The Courier - April 20th, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Stem Cells Market to 2026 Industry Perspective, Comprehensive Analysis, and Forecast KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - April 20th, 2021
- Evaluation of the UK Myeloma Research Alliance Risk Profile in Chinese Patients with Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma without Autologous Stem Cell... - April 18th, 2021
- StemSynergy Therapeutics' Notch1-Selective Small Molecule Inhibitor Prevents Tumor Growth by Ablation of Cancer Stem Cells - Business Wire - April 16th, 2021
- US researchers create the first human-monkey chimaera, in the midst of a raging debate on such experimentation - The Financial Express - April 16th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Enters the Arena in Multiple Myeloma With Ongoing Research Ahead - OncLive - April 16th, 2021
- Treating chronic myeloid leukemia (CML): By phase and more - Medical News Today - April 16th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry Report 2021: Methods of Commercializing iPSCs are Diverse and Continue to Expand -... - April 14th, 2021
- A Massive New Gene Editing Project Is Out to Crush Alzheimer's - Singularity Hub - April 14th, 2021
- eQcell Inc Announces the Appointment of Members of the Board of Directors - BioSpace - April 14th, 2021
- Researchers Receive Grant to Improve Cellular Therapies to Treat 'Incurable' Diseases - University of Arkansas Newswire - April 14th, 2021
- Lonza Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Nucleofector Cell Transfection Platform - Technology Networks - April 14th, 2021
- New consortium aims to accelerate development of stem cell-based therapies for Huntingtons disease - News-Medical.Net - April 10th, 2021
- Strengthening the Stem Cell Industry Through Better Regulation - The Regulatory Review - April 10th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry Report 2021: Research, Patents, Funding Events, Industry Partnerships, Biomedical... - April 10th, 2021
- Stem Cell Transplantation May Be Offered Less Often as a Treatment Option for Some Patients with Mantle Cell Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - April 10th, 2021
- Real-time imaging shines light on the coordination of neural stem cell activation - News-Medical.net - April 10th, 2021
- Searching for Molecular Targets in Myeloid Malignancies and Beyond - OncLive - April 10th, 2021
- Fitore Nutrition Launches Spectrum + to Better the Lives of Children With Autism - Influencive - April 10th, 2021
- Cancer Stem Cells Market By Size Estimation, Growth Rate, Regional Analysis With with the CAGR of 11.0% Over the Forecast Period. KSU | The Sentinel... - April 10th, 2021
- global market for regenerative medicines is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 13.99% over the forecast period of 2020-2030 - GlobeNewswire - April 10th, 2021