ORF Genetics is aninnovative plant biotechnology company and apioneer in developing and manufacturing high-quality recombinantproteins, such as growth factors, derived from barley plants. Founded in 2001, it has developed a unique technology, ORFEUS, which uses barley grain as a factory for recombinant protein production, providing a more efficient and safer method than other protein expression systems provide. The barley is grown in ORFs own high-tech, eco-friendly greenhouse, which is isolated in a black lava field on the Reykjanes Peninsula, Iceland, using the countries rich renewable energy resources.
ORFEUS has allowed ORF to develop a portfolio of growth factors, including human-like growth factors in the stem cell research market, as well as for its own successful skincare brand, BIOEFFECT. ORFs latest project, MESOkine, allows the production of animal-like growth factors in the cell cultured meat market.
The worlds meat industry is facing numerous challenges. Currently, 50% of the worlds vegetated land is being used for meat production and the demand formeat is rapidly growing. By 2050, when the worlds population will be close to 10 billion, food demand will have increased by approximately 56% and a shortfall in the supply of meat has been projected. Moreover, looming safety-, environmental-, and ethical concerns associated with the meat industry pose further challenges, providing momentum for disruption.
Cell cultured meat (CCM), even in its early stages, shows great merit over conventional meat and has the potential to disrupt the meat industry, helping the industry to overcome its challenges. An incredible amount of meat can be produced from a small sample of animal stem cells, without involving the slaughtering of animals. In comparison to conventionally produced meat, CCM uses 7-45% less energy, 90% less land, and 82-96% less water with 78-96% lower GHG emissions. Furthermore, CCM opens the prospect for land reforestation and restoration of endangered species.
To grow cell cultured meat, a tiny sample of stem cells is first collected from a muscle in the animal of choice and multiplied to millions of cells. The cells then differentiated into meat cells with a taste and texture that is comparable to traditional meat. Growth factors are essential for this process as they control the proliferation and differentiation of stem cells.
It has been estimated that 10 thousand kilos of meat could be produced from a single cattle stem cell and that stem cells from as few as 150 cattle could provide enough meat to supply the worlds current annual meat consumption. Similarly, stem cells from single cattle could provide enough meat to make 175 million hamburgers, of which 440 thousand cattle would otherwise have to be slaughtered.
ORF Genetics newest product, MESOkine, brings together ORF Genetics experience and expertise in barley biotechnology to produce affordable, easily scalable, high-qualitygrowthfactors essential to the CCM industry.
MESOkine is a defined barley seed extract, containing the purified recombinant growth factor along with selected barley seed proteins. The MESOkine portfolio will offer recombinant animal growth factors of the highest quality from different species. The first animal versions of MESOkine growth factors are in their final stages of development and will be available for testing in the summer of 2021.
MESOkine, which is plant-based, has important merits over animal growth factors. Its production bypasses entirely the use of bacteria and the use of animal or human cells, resulting in endotoxin-free growth factors. Endotoxin is a lipopolysaccharide (LPS) in the outer membrane of gram-negative bacteria like E. coli, where it serves as a major structural component.
Since E. coli-based production systems are the most used expression systems for recombinant proteins, endotoxin contamination has long been a considerable problem for researchers and manufacturers. Therefore, applying endotoxin-free growth factors leads to increased precision, increased reproducibility, time and resource efficiency, and a smoother transfer of pre-clinical experiments to clinical trials.
Environmental and ethical concerns regarding the conventional meat industry have resulted in increasing numbers of people choosing to decrease their meat consumption, a trend that is pushing forward CCM development. The global consulting firm Kearney has projected that CCM will have gained a 10% share of the global meat market by 2030, increasing to 35% by 2040.
The first steps of CCM to market have already been taken. In December 2020, Singapore gave regulatory approval for chicken meat produced by the U.S. start-up Eat Just. Since then, Eat Justs chicken nuggets have already been served at a restaurant in Singapore, making them the worlds first commercial sale of CCM. Singapores regulatory approval is an important milestone for the CCM industry, as its success is heavily dependent on regulatory approval across the world.
Several entrepreneurs report they are soon ready for scale-up and market launch. For instance, the Dutch entrepreneur Mosa Meat is working on pilot plant production of CCM hamburgers and scaling down costs, and the French start-up Gourmey aims to market its cell cultured foie gras by 2023 or 2024.
It is no longer a question of if, but rather when CCM reaches supermarket shelves across the world. CCM production is still relatively expensive compared to conventional meat, and reducing costs is, therefore, key to getting CCM to market on a larger scale.
ORF Genetics aims for a paradigm shift in cell cultured meat production with its new product line by meeting the industrys needs for dramatic cost reduction and access tofast scale-up for animal growth factors. MESOkines unique qualities will aid in cost reduction and up-scaling of CCM production, with safer and more precise growth factors than currently available.
*Please note: This is a commercial profile
Editor's Recommended Articles
Go here to see the original:
- Cellino Biotech developing tech to help scale stem cell therapies - MedCity News - April 14th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry Report 2021: Methods of Commercializing iPSCs are Diverse and Continue to Expand -... - April 14th, 2021
- A Massive New Gene Editing Project Is Out to Crush Alzheimer's - Singularity Hub - April 14th, 2021
- eQcell Inc Announces the Appointment of Members of the Board of Directors - BioSpace - April 14th, 2021
- Researchers Receive Grant to Improve Cellular Therapies to Treat 'Incurable' Diseases - University of Arkansas Newswire - April 14th, 2021
- Lonza Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Nucleofector Cell Transfection Platform - Technology Networks - April 14th, 2021
- New consortium aims to accelerate development of stem cell-based therapies for Huntingtons disease - News-Medical.Net - April 10th, 2021
- Strengthening the Stem Cell Industry Through Better Regulation - The Regulatory Review - April 10th, 2021
- Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry Report 2021: Research, Patents, Funding Events, Industry Partnerships, Biomedical... - April 10th, 2021
- Stem Cell Transplantation May Be Offered Less Often as a Treatment Option for Some Patients with Mantle Cell Lymphoma - Curetoday.com - April 10th, 2021
- Real-time imaging shines light on the coordination of neural stem cell activation - News-Medical.net - April 10th, 2021
- Searching for Molecular Targets in Myeloid Malignancies and Beyond - OncLive - April 10th, 2021
- Fitore Nutrition Launches Spectrum + to Better the Lives of Children With Autism - Influencive - April 10th, 2021
- Cancer Stem Cells Market By Size Estimation, Growth Rate, Regional Analysis With with the CAGR of 11.0% Over the Forecast Period. KSU | The Sentinel... - April 10th, 2021
- global market for regenerative medicines is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 13.99% over the forecast period of 2020-2030 - GlobeNewswire - April 10th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market New Business Opportunities And Investment Research Report 2020-2027 | Coherent Market Insights KSU | The... - April 10th, 2021
- Celularity Announces Multiple Presentations at the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Annual Meeting 2021 - GlobeNewswire - April 10th, 2021
- New local publication and book-signing event - Bowling Green Daily News - April 6th, 2021
- Human blastocyst-like structures generated entirely from pluripotent stem cells. Shifting the paradigm of developmental biology? - ESHRE - April 3rd, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Cellular Dynamics... - April 3rd, 2021
- New approach to CAR T gene therapy yields efficient and longer-lasting response against HIV - News-Medical.Net - April 3rd, 2021
- New research offers hope to women with POI - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - April 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Strong Growth Over 2021-2027 | Key Manufacturers Overview- Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi Pharmaceuticals,... - April 3rd, 2021
- The entelechy test: embryos and simbryos - BioNews - March 30th, 2021
- Multiple sclerosis: Recent research on causes and treatments - Medical News Today - March 30th, 2021
- Global Regenerative Medicine Conference, NCRM NICHE with Fujio Cup Quiz (FCQ), E-poster and Edogawa NICH - Times of India - March 30th, 2021
- Study: Anti-Inflammatory Therapies Could Reduce Heart Disease Risk in Elderly Patients With Clonal Hematopoiesis - Pharmacy Times - March 30th, 2021
- Can This New Electrophysiology Technology Boost Neurology Research? - Labiotech.eu - March 30th, 2021
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis ToolMarket Size, Share, Industry Analysis, Forecast and Global Research Report to 2027 - The Market Eagle - March 30th, 2021
- Researchers describe the systems that manage embryonic stem cells - Microbioz India - March 26th, 2021
- Cell therapy player Fate Therapeutics sees CSO and 12-year veteran Shoemaker retire - FierceBiotech - March 26th, 2021
- Stem cells - a mix of promise and hype - ABC News - March 26th, 2021
- Global Vaccine, Insulin and Stem Cell Market Research Report Covers, Future Trends, Past, Present Data and Deep Analysis 2020-2026 The Bisouv Network... - March 26th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy could help restore debilitating age-related muscle loss - News-Medical.Net - March 24th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Research and New Developments 2021-2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - March 24th, 2021
- Two In-Space Production Applications and Calls for Proposals Announced - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - March 24th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market 2020-2027 Onset of Advanced Technologies to Upsurge the Growth The Courier - The Courier - March 24th, 2021
- Trending News: Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market New Research Report 2021 to 2027| Anika Therapeutics, Zimmer Biomet, BioTissue Technologies -... - March 24th, 2021
- Researchers Have Grown 'Human Embryos' From Skin Cells. Is It Ethical? - The Wire Science - March 20th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy could help bear recover from painful disease - FOX 35 Orlando - March 20th, 2021
- The J&J vaccine was developed with stem cells. Thats caused confusion and division among Catholics. - OregonLive - March 20th, 2021
- Adipose-derived Stem Cell Overview Market Trend, Growth, Size, Forecast, Key Players and Competitive Landscape Research Report by2027 The Courier -... - March 20th, 2021
- Scientists Grow Tear Gland Organoids That Can Actually Cry - Freethink - March 20th, 2021
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Predicted to Witness Surge in the Near Future 2018 to 2028 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - March 18th, 2021
- Catholic opinions on Johnson & Johnson vaccine highlight debate between hardliners on abortion and others in the church - Fairfield Citizen - March 18th, 2021
- Original Error: Retracing the History of the Mutation That Gave Rise to Cancer Decades Later - SciTechDaily - March 11th, 2021
- Super-resolution system microscopy can reveal pluripotency and differentiation of live stem cells - News-Medical.net - March 11th, 2021
- New multi-faculty Centre for Cell Therapy Translation gives UCalgary skin in the game for regenerative medicine research - UCalgary News - March 11th, 2021
- Policymakers urged to extend the 14-day limit on embryo research - BioNews - March 11th, 2021
- The Sacramento Business Journal announced that Cate Dyer, CEO, and founder of StemExpress, has been selected as one of SBJ's 2021 Most Admired CEOs -... - March 11th, 2021
- Coronavirus Insights: Ongoing Updates Covering The Impact On Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Market - The Courier - March 11th, 2021
- Longeveron and University of Miami Expand Exclusive License Agreement, and Enter into CRADA To Facilitate Future Collaborations - GlobeNewswire - March 11th, 2021
- Adipose Stem Cells (ASCS) Market 2021 Global Analysis and Outlook: LifeCell, EMD Millipore, Geron, BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics, Minerva... - March 11th, 2021
- Stem cells: Therapy, controversy, and research - March 5th, 2021
- Human embryo research beyond the primitive streak - Science - March 5th, 2021
- Research Antibodies Market Size to Reach USD 5325.8 Million by 2027 | Increasing R&D Activities in the Fields of Oncology, Neurobiology, and Stem... - March 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Reveals Enhanced Growth During The Forecast Period 2017 2025 FLA News - FLA News - March 5th, 2021
- Astrocytes Derived from Patients with Bipolar Disorder Malfunction - UC San Diego Health - March 5th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Booming Market To Hit $ 18.66 Billion By 2027 With Top Key Players Osiris Therapeutics, Inc. (US), MEDIPOST Co., Ltd.... - March 5th, 2021
- Stem Cell Derived Exosome Production in Stirred-Tank Bioreactors - BioProcess Insider - March 5th, 2021
- Researchers study iPSCs to uncover genetic causes of disease - Drug Target Review - March 5th, 2021
- Moderna Hires Harvard Stem Cell Researcher Jonathan Hoggatt as Director of Hematology: What You Need to Know - Benzinga - March 5th, 2021
- Intrapericardial injection provides a less invasive means of treating cardiac injury - News-Medical.Net - March 5th, 2021
- Individualized brain cell grafts reverse Parkinson's symptoms in monkeys - University of Wisconsin-Madison - March 3rd, 2021
- New Controversy for Stem Cell Therapy That Repairs Spinal Cords - The Great Courses Daily News - March 3rd, 2021
- Cell Therapy Company Raises $160 Million to Advance iPSC-Derived Therapies to Clinic - BioSpace - March 3rd, 2021
- NSAIDs to Treat Arthritic Canines Through 2028; Stem Cell Therapies to Invigorate Canine Arthritis T - PharmiWeb.com - March 3rd, 2021
- A region within GLI1 gene could potentially be targeted as cancer treatment - News-Medical.Net - March 3rd, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2020 Financial Results and Recent Program Highlights - Galveston County Daily News - March 3rd, 2021
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 2025 Research Report Segment Outlook, Growth Potentials and Analysis of COVID-19 Worldwide Outbreak KSU... - March 3rd, 2021
- Global Autologous stem cell and Non-stem cell based Therapies Market- Industry Analysis, Growth, Segmentation and Forecast-2019-2027 - The Bisouv... - March 3rd, 2021
- Stem Cell manufacturing Market Witness an Outstanding Growth and Strong Revenue and Forecast 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 3rd, 2021
- New study launches into COVID-19 vaccine responses in patients with impaired immune systems - University of Birmingham - March 3rd, 2021
- U. Cancer Center pilot projects: investigating cancer connections - The Brown Daily Herald - March 3rd, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2021 | Global Trends, Business Overview, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 The Bisouv Network - The... - March 1st, 2021
- Human Lung and Brain Organoids Respond Differently to SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Lab Tests - UC San Diego Health - March 1st, 2021
- Contemporary Critical Care Complications of Stem Cell Transplant/Cellular Therapies - TMC News - Texas Medical Center News - March 1st, 2021
- Global Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market Size-Share Analysis and System Production | Addressing the Potential Impact of COVID-19 Top Companies FLA... - February 21st, 2021
- Studies Show ApoE4 Carriers Appear More Susceptible to COVID-19Experts Say the Jury Is Still Out - Being Patient - February 21st, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Demand and Scope with Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 19th, 2021