SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Atara Biotherapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATRA), a leader in T-cell immunotherapy, leveraging its novel allogeneic Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) T-cell platform to develop transformative therapies for patients with cancer and autoimmune diseases, today announced the upcoming first release of efficacy and safety results from its Phase 3 ALLELE study. The pivotal trial is investigating tabelecleucel (tab-cel) for the treatment of Epstein-Barr virus-positive post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease (EBV+ PTLD) following solid organ transplant (SOT) or hematopoietic cell transplant (HCT). Detailed findings, along with combined data from investigator-sponsored Phase 2 and multicenter Expanded Access Program (EAP) studies, will be featured among eight abstracts, including two oral presentations, at the 63rd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting taking place December 11-14, 2021, in Atlanta.
There is significant unmet need in patients with EBV+ PTLD, with poor overall survival measured in weeks to a few months after first-line treatment failure, said Jakob Dupont, MD, Head of Global Research & Development at Atara. Tab-cel demonstrated a clinically meaningful objective response rate and striking overall survival in a patient population with no approved treatment options, representing a first-in-kind allogeneic therapy with transformative potential. At ASH, we will share data from our Phase 3 ALLELE study, which further supports tab-cel as a potentially safe and effective treatment option for patients with EBV-driven diseases.
As reported in the full abstract available today on the ASH website, top-line data with additional patients and extended follow up confirm a strong ORR in line with prior Phase 2 and multicenter EAP results and demonstrate durability of response with no new safety signals.
In this ongoing Phase 3 study, 38 evaluable patients as of May 2021 24 EBV+ PTLD following SOT patients after failure of rituximab chemotherapy and 14 EBV+ PTLD following HCT patients after failure of rituximab monotherapy were treated with tab-cel and had the opportunity for a six-month follow-up after response. An ORR, as measured by independent oncologic response adjudication (IORA) assessment, of 50% (19/38, 95% CI: 33.4, 66.6) was observed, with an ORR of 50.0% (12/24, 95% CI: 29.1, 70.9) in PTLD following SOT and 50.0% (7/14, CI: 23.0, 77.0) in PTLD following HCT, with a best overall response of Complete Response (CR; n=5, SOT; n=5, HCT) or Partial Response (PR; n=7, SOT; n=2, HCT).
Overall, the median time to response (TTR) was 1.1 months (0.7-4.7). Of 19 responders, 11 had a duration of response (DOR) lasting more than six months and median DOR has not been reached yet. Those who responded had a longer survival compared to the non-responders, with a median OS not evaluable (NE) (95% CI: 16.4, NE) and a 1-year survival rate of 89.2% (95% CI: 63.1, 97.2).
Safety findings were consistent with previously published data, with no new signals or concerns reported. There were no reports of tumor flare reaction, and no confirmed evidence of graft versus host disease (GvHD), organ rejection, infusion reactions, or cytokine release syndrome related to tab-cel.
Further detail on baseline demographics and disease characteristics, and additional safety data including tab-cel exposure details, will be presented on December 11 in the oral presentation.
Atara will present additional data on tab-cel and PTLD through several abstracts, including a second oral presentation on long term OS from Phase 2 and multicenter EAP studies with tab-cel in relapsed/refractory EBV+ PTLD showing median OS of 54.6 months in all patients and OS at two years reaching over 86% in responders whether patients experienced CR or PR. Treatment was well tolerated with no confirmed evidence for graft versus host disease, cytokine release syndrome, SOT rejection, or neurologic events attributable to tab-cel.
In total, five abstracts will be presented at the 63rd ASH Annual Meeting. An additional three accepted abstracts will be published online in the November supplemental issue of Blood.
Oral Presentation Details:Title: Multicenter, Open-Label, Phase 3 Study of Tabelecleucel for Solid Organ or Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplant Recipients with Epstein-Barr Virus-Driven Post Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disease after Failure of Rituximab or Rituximab and Chemotherapy (ALLELE)
Title: Overall Survival by Best Overall Response with Tabelecleucel in Patients with Epstein-Barr Virus-Driven Post-Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disease Following Solid Organ or Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplant
Poster Presentation Details:Title: Clinical Outcomes of Patients with Epstein-Barr Virus-Driven Post-Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disease Following Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Who Fail Rituximab: A Multinational, Retrospective Chart Review Study
Title: Clinical Outcomes of Solid Organ Transplant Patients with Epstein-Barr Virus-Driven (EBV+) Post-Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder (PTLD) Who Fail Rituximab Plus Chemotherapy: A Multinational, Retrospective Chart Review Study
Title: Comprehensive Activation Profiling of the Tabelecleucel Library, an Off-the-Shelf, Allogeneic EBV-Specific T-Cell Therapy
About TabelecleucelTabelecleucel (tab-cel) is an off-the-shelf, allogeneic T-cell immunotherapy in development for the treatment of Epstein-Barr virus-positive post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease (EBV+ PTLD). EBV+ PTLD is a type of lymphoma (cancer) that may occur after a solid organ transplant (SOT) or allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplant (HCT). There are currently no approved treatments indicated to treat PTLD and if left untreated, PTLD can have life-threatening consequences.
Tab-cel is currently being investigated in the Phase 3 ALLELE study to assess efficacy and safety for the treatment of EBV+ PTLD in SOT and HCT after failure of standard of care.
Tab-cel has been granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation for EBV+ PTLD following allogeneic HCT by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and PRIME designation by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) for the same indication. Tab-cel has orphan drug designation in the U.S. and EU.
About Atara Biotherapeutics, Inc.Atara Biotherapeutics, Inc. (@Atarabio) is a pioneer in T-cell immunotherapy leveraging its novel allogeneic EBV T-cell platform to develop transformative therapies for patients with serious diseases including solid tumors, hematologic cancers and autoimmune disease. With our lead program in Phase 3 clinical development, Atara is the most advanced allogeneic T-cell immunotherapy company and intends to rapidly deliver off-the-shelf treatments to patients with high unmet medical need. Our platform leverages the unique biology of EBV T cells and has the capability to treat a wide range of EBV-associated diseases, or other serious diseases through incorporation of engineered CARs (chimeric antigen receptors) or TCRs (T-cell receptors). Atara is applying this one platform, which does not require TCR or HLA gene editing, to create a robust pipeline including: tab-cel in Phase 3 development for Epstein-Barr virus-driven post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease (EBV+ PTLD) and other EBV-driven diseases; ATA188, a T-cell immunotherapy targeting EBV antigens as a potential treatment for multiple sclerosis; and multiple next-generation chimeric antigen receptor T-cell (CAR-T) immunotherapies for both solid tumors and hematologic malignancies. Improving patients lives is our mission and we will never stop working to bring transformative therapies to those in need. Atara is headquartered in South San Francisco and our leading-edge research, development and manufacturing facility is based in Thousand Oaks, California.
For additional information about the company, please visit atarabio.com and follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Forward-Looking StatementsThis press release contains or may imply "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. For example, forward-looking statements include statements regarding: the potential benefits, safety and efficacy of tab-cel; the timing and progress of tab-cel, including (i) data and analyses from ALLELE study, the investigator-initiated Phase 2 study, and the EAP; (ii) tab-cel clinical trials, and (iii) Ataras ability to successfully advance the development of tab-cel. Because such statements deal with future events and are based on Ataras current expectations, they are subject to various risks and uncertainties and actual results, performance or achievements of Atara could differ materially from those described in or implied by the statements in this press release. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties, including, without limitation, risks and uncertainties associated with the costly and time-consuming pharmaceutical product development process and the uncertainty of clinical success; the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, which may significantly impact (i) our business, research, clinical development plans and operations, including our operations in South San Francisco and Southern California and at our clinical trial sites, as well as the business or operations of our third-party manufacturer, contract research organizations or other third parties with whom we conduct business, (ii) our ability to access capital, and (iii) the value of our common stock; the sufficiency of Ataras cash resources and need for additional capital; and other risks and uncertainties affecting Ataras and its development programs, including those discussed in Ataras filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), including in the Risk Factors and Managements Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations sections of the Companys most recently filed periodic reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and subsequent filings and in the documents incorporated by reference therein. Except as otherwise required by law, Atara disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof, whether as a result of new information, future events or circumstances or otherwise.
Read more here:
- Here's Why Longeveron Is Surging Today - Motley Fool - December 4th, 2021
- Global Regenerative Medicine Partnering Report/Directory 2021: Terms and Agreements for 1600 Deals 2014-2 - Benzinga - December 4th, 2021
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Market is anticipated to reach US$ 2.8 Bn by 2031 - PRNewswire - December 4th, 2021
- Stem-cell implant prototypes pave the way towards life-long treatment for type 1 diabetes - ZME Science - December 3rd, 2021
- Certain Patients With Heart Failure May Benefit From Stem Cell Therapy - Pharmacy Times - December 3rd, 2021
- Humanigen Announces Conference Call and Webcast to Discuss Lancet Respiratory Medicine Publications and Provide a Corporate Update - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2021
- Roundtable Discussion: Usmani and Participants Review Using Transplant and Combination Therapy in a Patient With Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma -... - December 3rd, 2021
- Hematopoiesis and innate immunity: an inseparable couple for good and bad times, bound together by an hormetic relationship - DocWire News - December 3rd, 2021
- Reality of universal cancer prevention & cure - BSA bureau - December 3rd, 2021
- World Aids Day Improving the lives of everyone affected by HIV - QMUL - December 3rd, 2021
- Seres Therapeutics Announces First Patient Enrolled in Phase 1b Study of SER-155, an Investigational Microbiome Therapeutic to Reduce the Risk of... - December 3rd, 2021
- AVROBIO Presents Clinician Experience with FAB-GT Clinical Trial and Updated Safety Data for Investigational Gene Therapies in Fabry Disease and... - November 28th, 2021
- The questions surgical robots still need to answer - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - November 24th, 2021
- Holiday Gift Guide 2021: The Best Wellness And Self-Care Essentials For Travel - Forbes - November 24th, 2021
- Investigating pathogens and their life cycles, for the benefit of society - MIT News - November 24th, 2021
- Mitigating Toxicities Will Position BCMA for Role in Triple-Class Refractory Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - November 24th, 2021
- Human Primary Cells Market 2021 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis and Strategies of Key Players: Lonza, Thermo Fisher Scientific,... - November 21st, 2021
- Researcher Works for Diversity, Inclusion in Sciences, One Journal at a Time - Lab Manager Magazine - November 18th, 2021
- Raw Marijuana Won't Get You Stoned, But It Does Have Some Interesting Benefits - Benzinga - Benzinga - November 16th, 2021
- The 18 Best New November 2021 Skin-Care Launches That Deserve a Spot in Your Routine - Allure - November 16th, 2021
- Singapore Aims To Lead The World In Lab-Grown Meat - Intelligent Living - November 16th, 2021
- Dermarolling Your Scalp Is Proven to Increase Hair Growth and Thickness Here's How to Do It - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 15th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy for Heart Failure Reduces CV Events, Death in Select Patientsbut not Hospitalization - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 15th, 2021
- JASPER THERAPEUTICS, INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 15th, 2021
- Week In Review: Zai Lab Announces Two In-Licensings With Total Value Of $800 Million - Seeking Alpha - November 15th, 2021
- Beam gets green light to begin first clinical test of base editing - BioPharma Dive - November 15th, 2021
- GlycoMimetics GMI-1359 Data Selected for Presentation at 63rd American Society of Hematology (ASH) Annual Meeting and Exposition - Galveston County... - November 15th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics to Present at the Credit Suisse 30th Annual Virtual Healthcare Conference - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2021
- Biotech Companies are Expanding the Frontiers of Engineered Cell Therapy - BioSpace - November 11th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Abstract Highlighting FT538 and - GlobeNewswire - November 11th, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics to Present Preclinical Data Highlighting Fully Allogeneic CAR-T Product Candidates at the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer... - November 11th, 2021
- Affimed Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - KULR-TV - November 11th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics to Present at the Credit Suisse 30th Annual Virtual Healthcare Conference - Yahoo Finance - November 9th, 2021
- CELLECTAR BIOSCIENCES, INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 9th, 2021
- Hoth Therapeutics Inks API and Drug Product Contracts with WuXi STA to Advance Manufacturing of HT-KIT Cancer Therapeutic - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2021
- Technology set to redesign the future of food as agriculture moves towards net zero - ABC News - November 9th, 2021
- MAGENTA THERAPEUTICS, INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations. (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 5th, 2021
- Magenta Therapeutics Announces Data Presentations Related to its Mobilization and Conditioning Programs at the 2021 American Society of Hematology... - November 5th, 2021
- 15 Best Peptide Skin-Care Products 2021 for Smoother, Firmer, and Plumper Skin - Allure - November 5th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapeutics Provides Business Update and Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - November 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Eight Presentations at the 2021 ASH Annual Meeting - The Bakersfield Californian - November 5th, 2021
- STEMTECH CORPORATION (OTC:GNTW) ANNOUNCES APPOINTMENT OF SANDRA KAZICKAITE TO THE ROLE OF VICE PRESIDENT OF GLOBAL PERFORMANCE - Yahoo Finance - November 3rd, 2021
- Assessing the benefits of stem cell research (column) - LNP | LancasterOnline - November 1st, 2021
- How to Test for Leukemia: What Are My Options? - Healthline - November 1st, 2021
- Exposed: The Plague Of Fake Medical Trials Putting Lives In Danger - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - November 1st, 2021
- To Reduce Stress and Boost Energy, Try Maca Root - The Beet - November 1st, 2021
- In Vitro Toxicology Testing Market Outlook 2021 Pricing Strategy, Industry Latest News, Top Company Analysis, Research Report Analysis and Share by... - November 1st, 2021
- Geron Enters New Innovative Licensing and Access Pathway in the United Kingdom for Imetelstat - Business Wire - November 1st, 2021
- Stem Cell Diseases: What Can Stem Cells Cure | stemcela.com - October 30th, 2021
- The Cost Of Stem Cell Therapy in 2021 | BioInformant - October 30th, 2021
- NIH Guidelines for Human Stem Cell Research | STEM Cell ... - October 30th, 2021
- Fi Europe 2021 innovation finalists mirror mega trends of plant based and sustainability - FoodNavigator.com - October 30th, 2021
- Types of Oncology Drugs - Healthline - October 28th, 2021
- Medical Innovation In Pet Healthcare Is Taking Things Up a Notch - Entrepreneur - October 28th, 2021
- BIOHAVEN ENROLLS PHASE 1A/1B CLINICAL TRIAL OF BHV-1100, LEAD ASSET FROM ITS ARM (ANTIBODY RECRUITING MOLECULE) PLATFORM, IN COMBINATION WITH NK CELL... - October 28th, 2021
- Researchers discover a way to increase the effectiveness of antibiotics - EurekAlert - October 28th, 2021
- Fresh Bros: Exploring the Top Five Health Benefits of Turmeric Extract with BioPerine - GlobeNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- All hopes to save the northern white rhinos now rest on a single female - ZME Science - October 23rd, 2021
- AVROBIO Reports New Interim Safety Data Across Investigational Gene Therapies for Fabry and Gaucher Disease Type 1 - StreetInsider.com - October 21st, 2021
- CDMO: The Rise of End-to-End Services - Marketscreener.com - October 21st, 2021
- MeiraGTx Announces the Presentation of Two Novel Inherited - GlobeNewswire - October 21st, 2021
- Current status of drug repositioning in hematology - DocWire News - October 19th, 2021
- Is Fresh Breast Milk Better for Preemies Than Pumped and Stored? - UMass News and Media Relations - October 19th, 2021
- Vertex Announces Positive Day 90 Data for the First Patient in the Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial Dosed With VX-880, a Novel Investigational Stem... - October 19th, 2021
- Headband Could Beat Insomnia By Zapping The Brain While Sufferers Wear It For 20 Minutes At Bedtime - - Todayuknews - October 19th, 2021
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 17th, 2021
- Misinformation on stem cell treatments for COVID-19 linked to overhyped science, researchers argue - EurekAlert - October 17th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - BioSpace - October 17th, 2021
- Nic Chapman: my MS battle and the treatment that's given me hope - The Times - October 17th, 2021
- Dream Body Clinic Stem Cell Therapy Stem Cells HGH - October 13th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells - October 13th, 2021
- 3D printing: Healthcare insiders' view on the tech - Verdict - October 13th, 2021
- Top 10 Best Stem Cell Supplement Brands - Healthtrends - October 13th, 2021
- Mitochondrial superoxide dismutase overexpression and low oxygen conditioning hormesis improve the performance of irradiated sterile males |... - October 13th, 2021
- Researchers uncover how cancer cells use sugar residue to evade the immune system - News-Medical.net - October 13th, 2021
- The science and practicality of cultured meat The Stute - The Stute - October 11th, 2021
- Vitro Biopharma Inc. July 31st 2021; 3rd Quarter ended Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Le - Benzinga - October 11th, 2021
- Want To Support Healthy Bones? It's Time To Get Your Vitamin D In Check - mindbodygreen.com - October 11th, 2021
- Joint : Why Breast Cancer Awareness Matters, and How to Get It Done - marketscreener.com - October 11th, 2021
- Faster healing of wounds can decrease pain and suffering and save lives - KY3 - October 7th, 2021