AgeX Therapeutics, Inc. (AgeX: NYSE American: AGE), a biotechnology company developing innovative regenerative therapeutics to treat human diseases to increase healthspan and combat the effects of aging, and ImStem Biotechnology, Inc. (ImStem), a biopharmaceutical company developing embryonic stem cell (ESC) derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), today announced that ImStem has obtained from AgeX a non-exclusive, royalty-bearing sublicense to use AgeXs clinical-grade ESC line ESI-053 to derive ImStems investigational MSC product candidate IMS001 for development in COVID-19 as well as acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) from other causes.
ImStem will endeavor to file one or more investigational new drug (IND) applications for IMS001 in COVID-19 and/or ARDS with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or equivalent EU regulatory agency within 18 months. Under the agreement, AgeX will be entitled to receive revenues in the form of royalties on the sale of IMS001 if successfully developed by ImStem and approved for marketing by the FDA or foreign regulatory authorities, as well as a share of certain other revenues that ImStem may receive in connection with the development or commercialization of IMS001, in COVID-19 and ARDS.
This latest sublicensing arrangement between AgeX and ImStem is a continuation of AgeXs strategy to expand access to its ESI stem cell lines for use in the generation of cellular therapies. An ImStem publication in Stem Cell Reports (2014;3:115-130) showed in a mouse model of multiple sclerosis that MSCs derived from ESCs outperformed adult bone marrow MSCs. This ultimately led to research and commercial sublicense agreements for the ESI-053 ESC line by ImStem to develop IMS001 as an allogeneic, off-the-shelf and industrially scalable MSC product candidate. Earlier this year, the FDA cleared an IND application for IMS001 in multiple sclerosis. IMS001 is believed to be the first MSC product derived from an ESC line to be accepted for a human trial by the FDA.
Results from early clinical studies conducted in China by unrelated groups using different MSC products suggest MSCs warrant further exploration in COVID-19. First, a human study published in Aging and Disease (2020;11:216-228) showed that an intravenous infusion of adult-derived MSCs reduced COVID-19 symptoms and improved functional outcomes in seven treated patients with COVID-19 pneumonia. The MSCs appeared to be safe and well tolerated. Second, a clinical study published in Stem Cell Research & Therapy (2020;11:361) demonstrated that 12 severe COVID-19 patients who received an infusion of umbilical cord MSCs recovered without requiring mechanical ventilation and were discharged home. Even before being explored in COVID-19, MSCs were being investigated as a therapeutic option in ARDS, and emerging data in preclinical models is encouraging. However, the manufacturing scalability of adult MSCs may limit their use. ARDS is a respiratory condition characterized by inflammation and increased endothelial and epithelial permeability to protein, leading to fluid accumulation in the lungs, hemorrhage, cell injury, diffuse alveolar damage, and blockage of oxygen from getting to vital organs. ARDS affects around 200,000 patients in the U.S. every year, accounts for 10% of intensive care admissions, and has a mortality of approximately 40%, with 75,000 deaths in the U.S. annually. No specific direct therapies exist for ARDS and only supportive treatment is available.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact hundreds of millions of people, with many countries now in the midst of a second wave. Antivirals, antibodies and cell therapies may all ultimately play a role in combating this disease, depending upon severity or stage. We are glad to expand our relationship with ImStem, so it can now utilize AgeXs ESI-053 stem cell line to develop its cell therapy candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 as well as acute respiratory distress syndrome more broadly, said Dr. Nafees Malik, Chief Operating Officer of AgeX. This latest sublicense is an example of AgeXs strategy to place our technologies in the hands of high-quality industry and academic partners, with this deal marking the sixth research and commercial arrangement AgeX has entered into this year.
The ESI stem cell lines are distinguished as the first clinical-grade human pluripotent stem cell lines created under current Good Manufacturing Practice as described in Cell Stem Cell (2007;1:490-4). They are listed on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Stem Cell Registry and are among the best characterized and documented stem cell lines in the world. ESI cells are among only a few pluripotent stem cell lines from which a derived cell therapy product candidate has been granted FDA IND clearance for human studies.
We welcome the opportunity to continue to collaborate with AgeX and explore future development of our mesenchymal stem cell IMS001 product in COVID-19 and ARDS from other causes. Importantly, our product may overcome the important issue of limited manufacturing scalability associated with adult tissue derived MSCs, commented Xiaofang Wang, M.D., Chief Technology Officer of ImStem Biotechnology.
About AgeX Therapeutics
AgeX Therapeutics, Inc. (NYSE American: AGE) is focused on developing innovative regenerative therapeutics to treat human diseases to increase healthspan and combat the effects of aging. AgeXs PureStem and UniverCyte manufacturing and immunotolerance technologies are designed to work together to generate highly-defined, universal, allogeneic, off-the-shelf pluripotent stem cell-derived young cells of any type for application in a variety of diseases with a high unmet medical need. AgeX has two preclinical cell therapy programs: AGEX-VASC1 (vascular progenitor cells) for tissue ischemia and AGEX-BAT1 (brown fat cells) for Type II diabetes. AgeXs revolutionary longevity platform induced Tissue Regeneration (iTR) aims to unlock cellular immortality and regenerative capacity to reverse age-related changes within tissues. HyStem is AgeXs delivery technology intended to stably engraft PureStem derived cell therapies in the body. AgeX is seeking opportunities to establish licensing and collaboration arrangements around its broad IP estate and proprietary technology platforms and therapy product candidates.
For more information, please visit http://www.agexinc.com or connect with the company on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube.
About ImStem Biotechnology
ImStem Biotechnology, Inc. is aspiring to revolutionize how serious diseases with significant unmet needs are treated with a new generation of regenerative and cellular therapies. Pioneering research by its current founder and Chief Technology Officer Dr. Xiaofang Wang and Dr. Ren-He Xu, former director of UConn Stem Cell Institute, led to the proprietary state-of-the-art pluripotent stem cell technology, enabling off-the-shelf, allogeneic stem cell-derived products to be manufactured in scale, differentiating itself from the typical challenges imposed by autologous adult cell therapy products. The companys mission is to advance the science and understanding of human pluripotent stem cell based regenerative cellular therapies through novel and creative development pathways and to fulfill unmet medical needs in serious diseases. And its development strategy focuses on neurologic, autoimmune, degenerative, and rare orphan diseases. ImStem Biotechnology Inc. is a privately held company headquartered in Farmington, CT.
For more information, please visit http://www.imstem.com.
About ES Cell International
ESI ES Cell International Pte Ltd (ESI). Established in 2000, ESI, a wholly owned subsidiary of Lineage Cell Therapeutics, Inc., developed ESI hESC lines in compliance with the principles of current Good manufacturing Practices and has made them available to various biopharmaceutical companies, universities and other research institutions, including AgeX. These ESI cell lines are extensively characterized and most of the lines have documented and publicly available genomic sequences.
Forward-Looking Statements for AgeX
Certain statements contained in this release are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Any statements that are not historical fact including, but not limited to statements that contain words such as will, believes, plans, anticipates, expects, estimates should also be considered forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from the results anticipated in these forward-looking statements and as such should be evaluated together with the many uncertainties that affect the business of AgeX Therapeutics, Inc. and its subsidiaries, particularly those mentioned in the cautionary statements found in more detail in the Risk Factors section of AgeXs most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commissions (copies of which may be obtained at http://www.sec.gov). Subsequent events and developments may cause these forward-looking statements to change. In addition, with respect to AgeXs sublicense agreement with ImStem there is no assurance that (i) ImStem will be successful in developing therapeutic products from the ESI-053 stem cell line sublicensed from AgeX or that any therapeutic products that may be developed will receive FDA or foreign regulatory approval, (ii) any therapeutic products that may be developed will be successfully commercialized, or (iii) AgeX will derive revenue or other financial benefits from the sublicense agreement. AgeX specifically disclaims any obligation or intention to update or revise these forward-looking statements as a result of changed events or circumstances that occur after the date of this release, except as required by applicable law.
Contact for AgeXAndrea Park
Chief Financial Officer
AgeX Therapeutics, Inc.
Tel: (510) 671-8620
Contact for ImStemInvestor Relations
Tel: (860) 281-7836
View original post here:
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the Second Quarter and First Half of Fiscal 2021 - Galveston County Daily News - November 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market to Get Expansion admist COVID 19, Scope With Advanced Technologies Top Key Players and Forecast 2020-2027 - The... - November 25th, 2020
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market 2020-2025: Opportunities with the Implementation of the 21st Century Cures Act - Stockhouse - November 25th, 2020
- Application and Product Portfolio Analysis During the forecasted period of Stem Cell Banking Market - The Think Curiouser - November 20th, 2020
- Why Bank Cord Blood & Tissue? Is Banking Worth It? | Cryo-Cell - November 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking | Michigan Center for Regenerative Medicine - November 16th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Stem Cell Banking Market Witness Highest Growth in nea - GroundAlerts.com - November 6th, 2020
- Cord Stem Cell Banking Market 2020-2026 Global Share and Forecast Research | Global Players Lifecell, StemCyte India Therapeutics Pvt. Ltd, Viacord,... - November 6th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market 2020 and Forecast 2021-2027 Includes Business Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Eurowire - November 6th, 2020
- High Density Cell Banking Market 2020 Growing Demand, Top Companies, Innovative Technologies, Segmental Outlook and Industry Insights 2027 - Zenit... - November 6th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Announces Multiple Presentations Across Stem Cell Transplant Portfolio at The American - Global Banking And Finance Review - November 6th, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | SGS Life Sciences, Lonza, CCBC,... - November 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Is Staring At A Promising Future During The Forecast Period Owing to Rapid Advances in Technology 2018 2026 - Aerospace... - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market to witness an impressive growth during the forecast pe - News by aeresearch - November 2nd, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market 2020 Growth Analysis with Production, Trends and Forecast up to 2027 - Illadel Graff Supply - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth by 2028 PRnews Leader - PRnews Leader - October 29th, 2020
- Early Impacts of COVID-19 on Cancer Stem Cells Market Trends and Future Dynamics 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Register Unwavering Growth During 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 29th, 2020
- In-Depth Report on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020|by Top Key players Aratana Therapeutics, Okyanos, Magellan Stem Cells, Stem Cell Vet - The... - October 29th, 2020
- Global Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Report 2020 Growing Demand, Business Opportunities, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and... - October 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market from Key End-use Sectors to Surge in the Near Future - The Think Curiouser - October 22nd, 2020
- India Cord Stem Cell Banking Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Services Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Cord Blood America, California Cryobank Stem Cell Services LLC,... - October 22nd, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2020 Progress Factors, Size, Share, Analysis and Forecast 2027 | Charles River Laboratories, Cryo-Cell International... - October 22nd, 2020
- Growing Focus on Product Innovation Likely to Impact the Growth of the Stem Cell Banking Market 2018 2026 - Aerospace Journal - October 22nd, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - PRnews... - October 22nd, 2020
- The COVID-19 Fallout: Cancer Stem Cells Market Key Growth Factors and Opportunities in 2020-2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Services Market Expected to Reach xx.xx Mn By 2026 : Cord Blood America, California Cryobank Stem Cell Services LLC,... - October 18th, 2020
- Global Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Size 2020 Share, Trends, Growth Opportunities, Type, Application and Worldwide Forecast to 2024 - PRnews... - October 17th, 2020
- Banking wisdom: Teen saving stem cells in hopes of future treatment - LubbockOnline.com - October 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market to witness an impressive growth during the forecast period 2020 2025 - Express Journal - October 14th, 2020
- Global Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Potential Growth, Share, Size, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Industry Research Forecasts to 2026 | SGS... - October 14th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market 2015-2025 In-Depth Analysis, CO-VID 19 Impact on Industry Demands, Trends, Sales and Applications|CCBC, CBR, ViaCord,... - October 4th, 2020
- STEM CELL BANKING Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by top key players... - October 2nd, 2020
- Abu Dhabi Stem Cells Center and Pluristem Unveil Joint Projects at Malta Conferences Foundation Online Event - Global Banking And Finance Review - October 2nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell manufacturing Market Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Business Prospects, In-depth Analysis Research... - September 20th, 2020
- Cord Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Business Prospects, In-depth Analysis Research Report... - September 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Threats, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To 2027 - Owned - September 13th, 2020
- India Cord Stem Cell Banking Market To Register Phenomenal Growth in the Period of 2019 2026 - Verdant News - September 13th, 2020
- Global Bio-Banks Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) By Type, Product,Application,Analysis,and Region. - Galus Australis - September 3rd, 2020
- Innovative Report on Stem Cell Banking Market with Innovations, Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies Forecast to 2027 -... - September 3rd, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market 2020 with Analysis of 44 Industry Players - PRNewswire - September 3rd, 2020
- Global Cell Banking Outsourcing market 2020 Global Industry Size Estimation, Research Update, Future Scope, Latest Trend Analysis, Research Findings,... - September 3rd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis, Growth, Research Findings, Type, Application, Element Global Trends and Forecast to... - August 31st, 2020
- Cord Blood & Cord Blood Banking: An Industry Overview 2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 31st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Size To Witness A Lucrative Growth Over 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - August 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market IN COVID-19: IMPLICATIONS AND BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES FOR GROWTH GLOBALLY - Scientect - August 27th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the First Quarter of Fiscal 2021 - Stockhouse - August 27th, 2020
- At 8.4% CAGR, STEM CELL BANKING Market Size is Expected to Exhibit 11.2 Billion US$ by 2025 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Global stem cell banking market Enhancement And Its growth prospects forecast 2020 to 2027 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Placental Stem Cells (PSCS) Market 2020-2027 Reporting And Evaluation of Recent Industry Developments || Leading Players StemCyte India Therapeutics... - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Share, Global Future Trend, Segmentation, Business Growth, Top Key Players, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 - Owned - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin... - August 20th, 2020
- On the move at the OneAZ, Spencer Fane, UArizona - AZ Big Media - August 20th, 2020
- Erwinase Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast Period 2020 - - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - August 20th, 2020
- Covid-19 Update : Cord Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 Next Big Thing | Global Players CBR Systems, - PharmiWeb.com - July 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Poised to Grow at a Healthy CAGR of XX% During the Forecast Period 2018 2026 - Jewish Life News - July 18th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market 2020 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updated Analysis By Product (Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell, Embryonic Stem Cell, Adult... - July 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 -... - July 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Storage Market Size, Production, Consumption, Export and Import, Growth Rate and Price Analysis by Types and Applications, Forecast... - July 18th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Regions And Top Key Players Analysis From 2020-2029 - Cole of Duty - July 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Growth By Manufacturers, Countries, Types And Application, End Users And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 11th, 2020
- Cell Banking Outsourcing Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments | Industry Growth... - July 11th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Global Industry Analysis and Opportunity and Forecast 2018 to 2028 - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Apsters News - July 1st, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Banking Market Trends, Analysis by Application and Region by 2025| CCBC,CBR,ViaCord,Esperite - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Report Explores Share, Development By Companies Outlook, Growth Prospects And 2021 Key Opportunities Forecast - Industry... - July 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Predictable To Witness Sustainable Evolution over 2020-2030 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- Cord Blood Bank Market is expected to double its Market Size in Upcoming Years | Cordlife, Cryo-cell, Neostem, Virgin Health Bank, LifeCell - Apsters... - July 1st, 2020
- Bio Bank Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole of... - July 1st, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year of Fiscal 2020 - Stockhouse - July 1st, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Recent Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and Assessment to 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Market Study and Forecast 2020-2025: Oncology Disorders Expected to Exhibit the Fastest Growth Rate - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - June 21st, 2020
- 15 Biotech Companies In Houston To Know - Built In - June 21st, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market to Improve Revenue to Reach US$ 2410 Million by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Technological Innovations and Analysis Till 2030 - 3rd Watch News - June 16th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Outsourcing Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- Global Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cells (BMSCS) Market (COVID 19 Impact Analysis) Data Highlighting Major Vendors, Promising Regions, Anticipated Growth... - June 16th, 2020