ALAMEDA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AgeX Therapeutics, Inc. (AgeX; NYSE American: AGE), a biotechnology company developing therapeutics for human aging and regeneration, reported financial and operating results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2020.
AgeX made strides with respect to its newly established licensing and collaboration model, which aims to embed its technology platforms across the cell therapy industry. AgeX has entered into a research license for the use of its immunotolerance UniverCyteTM technology by Sernova Corp. (Sernova), a publicly-listed Canadian regenerative medicine therapeutics company. It also entered a Manufacturing, Marketing, and Distribution Agreement with Pluristyx, Inc. (Pluristyx), an advanced therapy tools and services company serving customers in the fields of regenerative medicine and cellular and gene therapies. In addition, AgeX signed a letter of intent with ImStem Biotechnology (ImStem), for ImStem to utilize AgeXs ESI-brand pluripotent stem cells to derive a cell therapy product for potential use in the treatment of COVID-19 and as well acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) from non-COVID-19 causes.
We are working diligently to position our subsidiary Reverse Bioengineering to optimize the potential of induced tissue regeneration (iTR) technology, said Michael West, CEO of AgeX. We believe this technology offers a powerful new modality to treat age-related degenerative diseases by reversing developmental aging in a tissue, thereby unlocking an innate capacity of tissues to regenerate scarlessly.
AgeX completed its restructuring to streamline its operations to allow efficient usage of capital in the current pandemic environment as well to meet near-term strategic company priorities of deriving value and generating preclinical and ultimately clinical data from our technology platforms through external licensing and collaboration agreements. In the longer-term, AgeX remains committed to in-house product development of AgeX-BAT1 and AgeX-VASC1. AgeX is considering options to bring capital into the company.
AgeX has made excellent progress in terms of its collaboration and licensing model, closing five deals since the beginning of the year so far, said Greg Bailey M.D., Chairman of AgeX. The deals have spanned all three of our technology platforms of UniverCyte for the generation of universal cells, PureStem for the derivation and manufacturing of therapeutic cells, and AgeX ESI pluripotent stem cells to act as a source material for cellular therapies. All these deals show the value industry and academia see in our offerings.
Liquidity and Capital Resources
AgeX is in need of additional capital to finance its operations. On March 30, 2020, AgeX entered into a Secured Convertible Facility Agreement (the New Loan Agreement) with Juvenescence Limited pursuant to which AgeX may borrow funds from time to time. As of August 14, 2020, AgeX has borrowed $3.5 million and may draw additional funds from time to time subject to Juvenescences discretion, prior to the contractual repayment date on March 30, 2023. AgeX may not draw down more than $1.0 million in any single draw. More information about the New Loan Agreement can be found in AgeXs Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q for the periods ended March 31, 2020 and June 30, 2020 filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 30, 2020, May 14, 2020, and August 14, 2020 respectively.
On April 13, 2020, AgeX obtained a loan in the amount of $432,952 from Axos Bank under the Paycheck Protection Program (the PPP Loan). The PPP Loan bears interest at a rate of 1% per annum. No payments will be due on the PPP Loan during a six month deferral period commencing on the date of the promissory note. Commencing one month after the expiration of the deferral period, and continuing on the same day of each month thereafter until the maturity date of the PPP Loan, monthly payments of principal and interest will be due, in an amount required to fully amortize the principal amount outstanding on the PPP Loan by the maturity date. The maturity date is April 13, 2022. The principal amount of the PPP Loan is subject to forgiveness under the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) to the extent that PPP Loan proceeds are used to pay expense permitted by the PPP, including payroll, rent, and utilities (collectively, Qualifying Expenses), during the time frame permitted by the PPP. AgeX believes that it has used the PPP Loan amount for Qualifying Expenses. However, no assurance is provided that AgeX will obtain forgiveness of the PPP Loan in whole or in part.
In May 2020, AgeX laid off 11 research and development personnel and consequently paid approximately $105,000 in accrued payroll and unused paid time off and other benefits and recognized approximately $194,800 in restructuring charges in connection with the reduction in staffing, consisting of contractual severance and other employee termination benefits, substantially all of which have been settled in cash. The staff reductions followed AgeXs strategic review of its operations, giving consideration to the status of its product development programs, human resources, capital needs and resources, and current conditions in the capital markets resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Going Concern Considerations
As required under Accounting Standards Update 2014-15, Presentation of Financial Statements-Going Concern (ASC 205-40), AgeX evaluates whether conditions and/or events raise substantial doubt about its ability to meet its future financial obligations as they become due within one year after the date its financial statements are issued. Based on AgeXs most recent projected cash flows, and considering that loans from Juvenescence under the New Loan Agreement will be subject to Juvenescences discretion, AgeX believes that its cash and cash equivalents, the remaining $5.5 million available under the New Loan Agreement and reduction in staff in May 2020 would not be sufficient to satisfy its anticipated operating and other funding requirements for the twelve months following the filing of AgeXs Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the three and six months ended June 30, 2020. These factors raise substantial doubt regarding the ability of AgeX to continue as a going concern.
Second Quarter 2020 Operating Results
Revenues: Total revenues for the second quarter of 2020 were $414,000 as compared with $380,000 for the second quarter of 2019. AgeX revenues are primarily generated from subscription and advertising revenues from the GeneCards online database through its subsidiary LifeMap Sciences, Inc. Revenues in 2020 also included approximately $36,000 of allowable expenses under its research grant from the NIH as compared with $47,000 in the same period in 2019.
Operating expenses: Operating expenses for the three months ended June 30, 2020 were $3.0 million as compared to $3.8 million for the same period in 2019. On an as-adjusted basis, operating expenses for the three months ended June 30, 2020 were $2.5 million as compared to $3.1 million for the same period in 2019.
The reconciliation between GAAP and non-GAAP operating expenses is provided in the financial tables included with this earnings release.
Research and development expenses decreased by $0.3 million to $1.4 million during the three months ended June 30, 2020 from $1.7 million during the same period in 2019. The decrease was primarily attributable to the layoff of 11 research and development personnel in May 2020 and decrease in shared services from Lineage Cell Therapeutics, Inc. (Lineage) with the termination of our Shared Facilities and Services Agreement on September 30, 2019.
General and administrative expenses decreased by $0.4 million to $1.7 million during the three months ended June 30, 2020 from $2.1 million during the same period in 2019 despite an increase in head count with the employment of AgeXs own finance team since October 1, 2019. These increases were offset by a decrease in travel and related expenses with the shelter in place mandates since March 15, 2020 resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, and the elimination of shared facilities and services fees from Lineage following the termination of the Shared Facilities and Services Agreement on September 30, 2019.
About AgeX Therapeutics
AgeX Therapeutics, Inc. (NYSE American: AGE) is focused on developing and commercializing innovative therapeutics for human aging. Its PureStem and UniverCyte manufacturing and immunotolerance technologies are designed to work together to generate highly defined, universal, allogeneic, off-the-shelf pluripotent stem cell-derived young cells of any type for application in a variety of diseases with a high unmet medical need. AgeX has two preclinical cell therapy programs: AGEX-VASC1 (vascular progenitor cells) for tissue ischemia and AGEX-BAT1 (brown fat cells) for Type II diabetes. AgeXs revolutionary longevity platform induced Tissue Regeneration (iTR) aims to unlock cellular immortality and regenerative capacity to reverse age-related changes within tissues. AGEX-iTR1547 is an iTR-based formulation in preclinical development. HyStem is AgeXs delivery technology to stably engraft PureStem cell therapies in the body. AgeXs core product pipeline is intended to extend human healthspan. AgeX is seeking opportunities to establish licensing and collaboration arrangements around its broad IP estate and proprietary technology platforms and therapy product candidates.
For more information, please visit http://www.agexinc.com or connect with the company on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube.
Certain statements contained in this release are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Any statements that are not historical fact including, but not limited to statements that contain words such as will, believes, plans, anticipates, expects, estimates should also be considered forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from the results anticipated in these forward-looking statements and as such should be evaluated together with the many uncertainties that affect the business of AgeX Therapeutics, Inc. and its subsidiaries, particularly those mentioned in the cautionary statements found in more detail in the Risk Factors section of AgeXs most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commissions (copies of which may be obtained at http://www.sec.gov). Subsequent events and developments may cause these forward-looking statements to change. In addition, with respect to AgeXs Manufacturing, Marketing and Distribution Agreement with Pluristyx there is no assurance that (i) Pluristyx will generate significant sales of AgeX ESI hESC lines, or (ii) AgeX will derive significant revenue from sales of ESI hESC lines by Pluristyx. AgeX specifically disclaims any obligation or intention to update or revise these forward-looking statements as a result of changed events or circumstances that occur after the date of this release, except as required by applicable law.
AGEX THERAPEUTICS, INC. AND SUBSIDIARIES
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS
(IN THOUSANDS, EXCEPT PAR VALUE AMOUNTS)
Cash and cash equivalents
Accounts and grants receivable, net
Prepaid expenses and other current assets
Total current assets
- Stem Cell Therapy Market by Treatment,Application,End Users and Geography Forecast To 2026 - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Cell Culture Market: Chemically Defined Mediums Adaptation to Boost Market Growth - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Stem cells, like Rosh Hashanah, give the opportunity to be reborn - The Jerusalem Post - September 15th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cells Market to witness astonishing growth by 2026 | AbbVie, The Merck KGaA Group, Bionomics, Lonza Group - The PRNews Pulse - September 15th, 2020
- LAVA Therapeutics, Amsterdam UMC and Monash University Announce Publication of a Novel Cancer Immunotherapy Approach in Nature Cancer - Business Wire - September 15th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To 2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - Kewaskum Statesman News Journal - September 15th, 2020
- Phase 3 TOURMALINE-MM2 Study Fails to Meet Primary Endpoint in Treating Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - September 15th, 2020
- GlycoT Therapeutics Grants Sublicense of Glycoengineering Technology to Daiichi Sankyo - BioSpace - September 15th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Global (North America, Europe, Middle East & Africa, Latin America and the Asia Pacific) Market Status and... - August 29th, 2020
- Fighting Disease with Developments to Stem Cell Research - News-Medical.net - August 29th, 2020
- NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Growth, Size, Trends, Share, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Red & Black Student... - August 29th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market : Facts, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2029 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Impact of Radiation Therapy on Survivors of Pediatric Abdominal and Pelvic Tumors - Cancer Network - August 29th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation Technology Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Mike Tyson reveals all after doctors gave him blood injection that left him feeling weird during stem cell t - The Irish Sun - August 29th, 2020
- First Woman May Be Cured of HIV Without a Bone Marrow Transplant - POZ - August 29th, 2020
- Sterile Filtration Market To Reach USD 8.48 Billion By 2027 | CAGR: 7.7% | Reports And Data - PRNewswire - August 29th, 2020
- The Science of Survival: Evolving Research in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - Reuters - August 25th, 2020
- Stem Cell Antibody Market Demand Analysis and Projected huge Growth by 2025 - Scientect - August 25th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Success in Developing a Stem Cell Lentiviral Gene Therapy for Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) - PRNewswire - August 25th, 2020
- Global Cancer Stem Cell Market 2020 Top Industry Players Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., AbbVie, Inc., Merck KGaA, Bionomics, Lonza, Stemline... - August 25th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market Global Industry Outlook, Share, Growth Analysis, Trends and top manufacture like Cellular Dynamics... - August 25th, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Corporation Reports Financial Results for the First Quarter of Fiscal 2021 - The Baytown Sun - August 25th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapies Market on a Steady Growth Trail; Future Market Insights Provides Projections in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic in its New... - August 25th, 2020
- Longevity And Anti-Senescence Therapy Market Latest Advancements And Industry Outlook 2018 To 2023 - The News Brok - August 25th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Cancer Stem Cells Market: What to Expect from Industry in 2020? - Scientect - August 25th, 2020
- North America ultra-low temperature freezer market is anticipated to reach US$ 313.19 million in 2027 from US$ 220.25 million in 2019 - GlobeNewswire - August 25th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Share Analysis, Application, Strategies of Key Players & Forecast to 2025 - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Banking Market Trends, Analysis by Application and Region by 2025| CCBC,CBR,ViaCord,Esperite - Scientect - August 22nd, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Identifies Novel Mechanism of Action of AmnioStem Adult Stem Cell Product in Stroke - BioSpace - August 20th, 2020
- Stanford Children's Health Appoints New Chief of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology, Stem Cell Transplantation, and Regenerative Medicine - PRNewswire - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers Get First-Ever Look at a Rare but Vital Stem Cell in Humans - Technology Networks - August 20th, 2020
- OU professor awarded $550,178 grant by National Science Foundation - College of Arts and Sciences - 2020 - News - OU Magazine - News at OU - August 20th, 2020
- Israelis and Emiratis to develop COVID-19 stem-cell therapy - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - August 20th, 2020
- Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market 2020-2025: The Potential of Stem Cell Therapy in Nerve Repair and Regeneration Fuels Opportunity -... - August 20th, 2020
- Shielded Stem Cells Improve The Cells' Ability To Heal Heart Injuries - Interesting Engineering - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Beating Growth Expectations- MEDIPOST, BIOTIME, BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics, Caladrius, JCR Pharmaceuticals, AlloSource -... - August 20th, 2020
- Ivan Volschenk | The Voice of Business on 2020 Propositions - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - August 20th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose... - August 20th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Cryopreservation Equipments Market Trends, Growth Insight, Leaders, Services and Forecast to 2025 | Chart, Worthington Industries,... - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers find method to regrow cartilage in the joints - Stanford Medical Center Report - August 19th, 2020
- Israel and UAE team up on stem cell therapy research for COVID-19 - UPI News - August 19th, 2020
- Latest News 2020: Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market by Coronavirus-COVID19 Impact Analysis With Top Manufacturers Analysis | Top Players: Anika... - August 19th, 2020
- Global 3D Cell Culture Market Expected to Expand at a CAGR of 14.1% during 2018-2027 - The Daily Chronicle - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetes and Related Conditions Market Research Report 2020 Obervational Studies with Top Manufacturers like Athersys,... - August 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Market Emerging Trends, Strong Application Scope, Size, Status, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - August 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth, Size, Analysis, Outlook by 2020 - Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - August 19th, 2020
- Cell Separation Technologies Market Research Report by Technology, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - August 16th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Focusing on Growth, Demand & Scope by 2026| Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Chiesi... - August 16th, 2020
- Amniotic Fluid Stem Cell Therapy Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2018 2026 - Scientect - August 16th, 2020
- Researcher John Craig Venter Is Awarded the 2020 Edogawa-NICHE Prize for His Accomplishment in Human Genome Research - Business Wire - August 16th, 2020
- GMP Cell Banking Services Gain Momentum among Stem Cell Research Institutes Due to Cost-effectiveness and Quality They Offer - TMR Research Blog - August 14th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Summary, Trends, Sizing Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Express Journal - August 14th, 2020
- Scientists hope to bring Malaysian rhinoceros back from extinction with stem cell technology - National Post - August 14th, 2020
- Global Totipotent Stem Cell Market Insights And Extensive Research (2020-2025) | Company A - Owned - August 14th, 2020
- Future of Cancer Stem Cell Reviewed in a New Study Owned - Owned - August 14th, 2020
- US FDA Advisory Committee Votes Nine to One in Favor of Remestemcel-L (Ryoncil) for Efficacy in Children With Steroid-Refractory Acute Graft Versus... - August 14th, 2020
- Global and United States Epithelial Stem Cells Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High... - August 14th, 2020
- Biological Safety Testing Market: Segment of Reagents and Kits to Witness Promising Growth Due to Introduction of Innovative Technologies - BioSpace - August 14th, 2020
- Cell Sorting Market Research Report by Technology, by Offering, by Application, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19... - August 14th, 2020
- California Propositions on the 2020 Ballot - Fullerton Observer - August 13th, 2020
- Experimental COVID treatment may have saved man's life - 10News - August 13th, 2020
- Opportunities in the Global Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell (iPS Cell) Industry - PRNewswire - August 13th, 2020
- Drug development for severe respiratory diseases supported with $3.9 million grant - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - August 13th, 2020
- Jasper Therapeutics Strengthens Management Team with Appointment of Biopharma Industry Executive Kevin N. Heller, M.D., as Executive Vice President,... - August 13th, 2020
- Training neural circuits early in development improves response, study finds - University of Illinois News - August 13th, 2020
- Microcarrier Bioreactor Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 | Thermo Fisher Scientific, Danaher, BD - The Daily... - August 13th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Technologies Market Research Report by Product, by Process, by Cell Type, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - August 13th, 2020
- Sapience Therapeutics Announces First Patient Dosed with ST101 in Phase 1/2 Study in Patients with Advanced Unresectable and Metastatic Solid Tumors -... - August 13th, 2020
- High-throughput 3D screening for differentiation of hPSC-derived cell therapy candidates - Science Advances - August 7th, 2020
- Study: Early training of cell development and network improves response - News-Medical.Net - August 7th, 2020
- US government considers ethics of aborted tissue research - Angelus News - August 7th, 2020
- BCLI: Phase 3 ALS Data Expected by the End of November 2020 - Zacks Small Cap Research - August 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Thermo Fisher, STEMCELL Technologies - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Umbilical Cord Blood (UCB) Stem Cell Market Report PDF 2020 Key Players Advanced... - August 7th, 2020
- Plant Stem Cell Market 2020 Share Growing Rapidly With Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2029 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- New Research Sheds Light on the Temporary Loss of Smell Stemming from COVID-19 - BioSpace - August 7th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Equipment Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Chart, Worthington Industries,... - August 7th, 2020
- With over 280 therapies under evaluation, the stem cell therapy market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030, claims Roots Analysis -... - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2019 2029 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020