October 5, 2021
In 1923, shortly after the 1918 flu pandemic, Frederick Grant Banting and John James Rickard Macleod were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for the discovery of insulin. This was an amazing milestone, and since then insulin replacement and even supplementation have improved and saved countless lives. Until 1982 the only insulin available for use in humans was derived from the pancreas of either pigs or cows. In 1982, only one year after trials demonstrated its safety, bioengineered human insulin was introduced with great success into clinical practice in the treatment of diabetes. This insulin was produced using special (recombinant) DNA technology (developed in the late 1970s) spliced into E. coli bacteria. Artificial insulin continues to change lives for the better every day! It was produced, tested, and introduced over a very short time and continues to bring benefits today, amid yet another pandemic. This, and many breakthroughs in medicine and health, have been dependent on a careful study of physiology and related principles.
As Ellen G. White stated: So closely is health related to our happiness, that we cannot have the latter without the former. A practical knowledge of the science of human life is necessary in order to glorify God in our bodies. It is therefore of the highest importance that among the studies selected for childhood, physiology should occupy the first place. How few know anything about the structure and functions of their own bodies and of natures laws! Many are drifting about without knowledge, like a ship at sea without compass or anchor; and what is more, they are not interested to learn how to keep their bodies in a healthy condition and prevent disease.1
Why, then, the vexation about vaccination in so many quarters? Could it be that we need to have a more complete understanding of the underlying mechanisms of disease processes? Will not this knowledge, united to prevention, help us to avoid confusion and to make the best decisions on our health? Choose your health information sources carefully, then; check that they are consistent with biblical principles, consonant with the writings of the Spirit of Prophecy, and supported by peer-reviewed evidence-based health science. At times we listen to the outliers, and sometimes even to those sharing outright lies. We need to be well informed. This means using the most reliable sources. Counsel with a reputable well-trained health-care provider to learn what will work best in your situation.
Modern technology continues to change and modify our lives daily. The smartphone in your hand has many times the power, memory, and applications of some of the computers that helped astronauts reach the moon! Website cookies and cell phone apps that include user location information abound in our daily lives and routines. We are already tracked and traced, as it were, whether we like it or notunless we refuse to use the devices and technologies on which our society and existence have become virtually dependent! It is sad that some are avoiding the benefit of protection offered by the vaccines for fear of being tagged by an electronic chip in the vaccinea theory already shown to be a myth.
Most certainly not. We have reiterated time and again that healthful living is primary and of utmost importance. We have seen, however, that it is necessary to use all the preventive measures at our disposal to survive the pandemic, especially until community immunity is reached. Universal precautions such as social (physical) distancing, regular hand washing, mask wearing, and early testing as needed are essential. Immunization is an important preventive tool. Prior to the release of the COVID vaccines, we buried too many faithful and healthy-living Seventh-day Adventists. Even with the availability of vaccines, we continue to see deaths from COVID-19, especially and now almost exclusively in the nonvaccinated, and in younger people.
Many lives have been saved through the judicious use of vaccines. Adventists continue to advocate for vaccines to be produced ethically.
Some claim that vaccines make those who take them unclean because, supposedly, unclean substances are used to produce them. In this regard, it should be clarified that the abiding biblical instructions forbidding the consumption of unclean food and blood (Lev. 11:1-20; 17:11, 12; Acts 15:20) do not apply to vaccines for the obvious reason that vaccines are produced as medication to save lives, not to serve as food. We as a church have not opposed the use of essential medications such as animal-derived insulin in the past, nor the use of porcine tissue heart valves for curative heart surgery in human beings, as these interventions are lifesaving. Along with sanitation and clean water, over the years immunization has been proven to be lifesaving.
An often-asked question relates to fetal stem cell lines as used for culturing the viruses in the production of some vaccines. These fetal cells were harvested from two aborted fetuses in the early 1960s, and the same cells have been propagated using special processes to keep the supply available without having again to harvest fibroblast stem cells.2This process was first used in the production of a vaccine against rubella; by 2005 rubella had been eliminated from the USA. Cell progeny from those original cells are still being used today. Retinal cells were harvested from an aborted fetus in 1985; cells from this source were used in the production of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine.
The Adventist Church does not condone abortion.3Many lives have been saved through the judicious use of vaccines. Adventists continue to advocate for vaccines to be produced ethically. We also support the saving of life and maintenance of herd immunity through responsible vaccination practices. A huge price was paid in the early 1960s. Since then, many lives have been saved. Various religions such as Roman Catholicism and Judaism have registered their disapproval of the initial harvesting process but have encouraged the use of vaccines among their adherents to prevent illness and to save life. The Adventist Church has clearly articulated its biblical stance on abortion as noted; we also encourage responsible immunization to save life and prevent illness.
For decades I have traveled with a yellow fever certificate in my passport pack. Travelers who do not produce this document when requested are either injected or rejected. Why? So as not to spread a potentially lethal disease. As health-conscious Adventists we were delighted when smoking on aircraft was banned. I am thankful that Adventists such as Dr. Denis Baird were part of the advocacy group that successfully negotiated this change. The main argument? Secondhand smoke is dangerous to the health of those exposed. The almost universal enforcement of car safety belt use infringes on my personal choices; the evidence confirms, however, that many deaths are prevented, and injuries avoided, when safety belts are used. A similar argument holds for the use of helmets in bike riders. Why would these interventions be required? Frankly, to save us from ourselves.
What a disparate world we live in! During the pandemic some have the means to privately achieve lifelong aspirations of being astronauts and paying for space flights. Others in this world die isolated, untreated, and without options of protection. Some countries have the opportunity to choose a third shot, a booster dose of the vaccine, while many have not got their first, living in countries struggling to gain access to reliable vaccine supplies. And even when these are available, the necessary logistics and infrastructure facilitating distribution are difficult to put in place.
No vaccine is 100 percent effective, but they give significant protection. Do we regard complications lightly? We do not: we are committed to saving lives. The benefits of immunization far outweigh the risks (see Dr. Sloops article in this issue, pp. 34-36). Being vaccinated still remains your choice, in accordance with your own conscience. Vaccinated or not, always seek early medical advice if you test positive for COVID-19. Some ask, Why has the church not endorsed specific treatment regimens apart from preventive measures and responsible vaccination? Its because this is the purview of the health-care provider in the specific clinical setting. We do not endorse or recommend specific medication regimens.
The vexation, vilification, and stigmatization among Christs followers must give way to respectful listening and hearing one another. Together we move forward in faith, bearing with one anotherin love and heeding heavens counsel:Make every effort to keep the unityof the Spirit in the bond of peace (Eph. 4:2, 3).4
Peter N. Landless, a board-certified nuclear cardiologist, is director of Adventist Health Ministries at the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, Silver Spring, Maryland.
The rest is here:
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 17th, 2021
- Misinformation on stem cell treatments for COVID-19 linked to overhyped science, researchers argue - EurekAlert - October 17th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - BioSpace - October 17th, 2021
- Nic Chapman: my MS battle and the treatment that's given me hope - The Times - October 17th, 2021
- Dream Body Clinic Stem Cell Therapy Stem Cells HGH - October 13th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells - October 13th, 2021
- 3D printing: Healthcare insiders' view on the tech - Verdict - October 13th, 2021
- Top 10 Best Stem Cell Supplement Brands - Healthtrends - October 13th, 2021
- Mitochondrial superoxide dismutase overexpression and low oxygen conditioning hormesis improve the performance of irradiated sterile males |... - October 13th, 2021
- Researchers uncover how cancer cells use sugar residue to evade the immune system - News-Medical.net - October 13th, 2021
- The science and practicality of cultured meat The Stute - The Stute - October 11th, 2021
- Vitro Biopharma Inc. July 31st 2021; 3rd Quarter ended Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Le - Benzinga - October 11th, 2021
- Want To Support Healthy Bones? It's Time To Get Your Vitamin D In Check - mindbodygreen.com - October 11th, 2021
- Joint : Why Breast Cancer Awareness Matters, and How to Get It Done - marketscreener.com - October 11th, 2021
- Faster healing of wounds can decrease pain and suffering and save lives - KY3 - October 7th, 2021
- Fasting boosts stem cells regenerative capacity | MIT ... - October 7th, 2021
- Sickle cell disease patients given hope for the future with first new treatment in 20 years - iNews - October 7th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WCAX - October 7th, 2021
- New Australian-first gene therapy gives Rylee and Saman sight at night and the chance at a new life - ABC News - October 7th, 2021
- Is Stathmin-2 the Next Piece of the ALS Jigsaw Puzzle? - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- Ashley Black, Entrepreneur Of The Year For Health And Beauty, To Launch Best-Selling FasciaBlaster System - LatestLY - October 5th, 2021
- 25 Best Body Scrubs and Exfoliators in 2021 - the Trend Spotter - The Trend Spotter - October 5th, 2021
- Potential of exosomes as cell-free therapy | IJN - Dove Medical Press - October 2nd, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics to Present at Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer 2021 Annual Meeting - PRNewswire - October 2nd, 2021
- 12 of the best face serums 2021 - Medical News Today - October 2nd, 2021
- Humanigen Submits All Planned Modules for Potential Conditional Marketing Authorization from the UK's MHRA - Business Wire - October 2nd, 2021
- Envigo Announces Collaboration With Biocytogen to Distribute the B-NDG Triple Immunodeficient and Humanizable Mouse Model - StreetInsider.com - September 29th, 2021
- Large-Scale Bioproduction of Adherent Cells To Support Advanced Therapy Workflows - Technology Networks - September 29th, 2021
- Sidney author warns against the abuses of technology Saanich News - Saanich News - September 27th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Closes Transaction With Amplitude Healthcare Acquisition Corporation, Creating a Publicly Traded Biotechnology Company Dedicated... - September 25th, 2021
- Dr. Sean Kelishadi provides stem cell therapy for facial procedures - Digital Journal - September 25th, 2021
- Pipeline of cell and gene therapies holds promise for repairing the Parkinsonian brain - EurekAlert - September 25th, 2021
- National Institutes of Health awards Children - EurekAlert - September 25th, 2021
- Amplitude Healthcare Acquisition : Announces Shareholder Approval of Business Combination with Jasper Therapeutics, Inc (Form 8-K) -... - September 25th, 2021
- Can you mix and match COVID vaccines or boosters? What scientists and doctors say - CNET - September 22nd, 2021
- All The Reasons Why You Should Add Nutrient-Dense Mushrooms To Your Diet - NDTV Doctor - September 22nd, 2021
- My children know I have a terminal illness talking openly about cancer benefits all of us - iNews - September 22nd, 2021
- Orthopedic Regenerative Surgical Products Market Size to Expand Significantly by the End of 2031 - BioSpace - September 22nd, 2021
- Health tips from Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen for 9-21-21 - The Commercial Dispatch - September 22nd, 2021
- Prescription Drugs Can Be Affordable and Innovative - Center For American Progress - September 18th, 2021
- The Promise of Regenerative Medicine to Treat Chronic Pain - Mega Doctor News - September 18th, 2021
- Precise CRISPR gene editing can correct the mutation that causes cystic fibrosis in mini-intestines - Massive Science - September 18th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Publication of FT538 Preclinical Data Demonstrating Enhanced ... - The Bakersfield Californian - September 18th, 2021
- A New Company With a Wild Mission: Bring Back the Woolly Mammoth - The New York Times - September 14th, 2021
- TreeFrog Therapeutics Secures $75m In Series B Financing To Advance A Pipeline Of Stem Cell-Derived Cell Therapies And Deploy Proprietary C-Stem... - September 14th, 2021
- Therapeutic inhibition of USP9x-mediated Notch signaling in triple-negative breast cancer - pnas.org - September 14th, 2021
- What are the health benefits of nectarines? - Medical News Today - September 10th, 2021
- Time to humanize European health research with an action plan - POLITICO.eu - September 10th, 2021
- Tiny radio tags reveal the lives of Neotropical stingless bees - Massive Science - September 10th, 2021
- Bristol Myers Squibb Research at ESMO 2021 Demonstrates Clinical Benefits of Immunotherapies in Multiple Hard-to-Treat Advanced or Metastatic Cancers... - September 8th, 2021
- Opdivo: Use with Yervoy, Side Effects, Cost, and More - Healthline - September 8th, 2021
- The Deal in Duluth: Catholics here on their own in seeking a religious exemption to being vaccinated - Duluth News Tribune - September 8th, 2021
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Three Primary Malignant Tumors | BCTT - Dove Medical Press - September 8th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly funding Altos Labs, a new anti-ageing venture aiming to cheat death - Screen Shot - September 7th, 2021
- Sorrento Announces Enrollment of First Subject in Brazil Phase 2 Study of COVI-MSC for Treatment of COVID-19 Associated Acute Respiratory Distress in... - September 2nd, 2021
- 11 of the best vitamin C serums 2021 - Medical News Today - September 2nd, 2021
- Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) advice on third primary dose vaccination - GOV.UK - September 2nd, 2021
- Japanese scientists have 3D printed a square of lab-grown wagyu beef - The A.V. Club - September 2nd, 2021
- This Company is Producing Bioprinted Fur, Wool & Eyelashes Which Could Make Fur Farms Obsolete - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine -... - September 2nd, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics Presents Preliminary Results from Phase 1 Trial of P-PSMA-101 at the 6th Annual CAR- - Benzinga - September 1st, 2021
- Operational Highlights and Financial Results for the Year Ended June 30, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - September 1st, 2021
- KNUCKLES Role in Flower Clock; This Tiny Multi-Functional Protein Helps Complete Floral Development Properly at the Right Time - Science Times - September 1st, 2021
- Outlook on the Multiple Myeloma Drugs Global Market to 2026 - by Therapy, Drug Type, End-user, Distribution Channel and Region - Yahoo Finance - August 30th, 2021
- 6 Benefits of Not Eating Meat (or at Least Less of It) - Healthline - August 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market by Type of Cell Manufactured, Source of Cell, Scale of Operation, Purpose of Manufacturing and Key Geographical... - August 25th, 2021
- The world's first 3D-printed Wagyu beef is revealed-it's marbling like the real thing - Texasnewstoday.com - August 25th, 2021
- Science-Backed Benefits of Prickly Pear Cactus - Healthline - August 25th, 2021
- AdAlta and Carina Biotech to develop next-generation CAR-T cancer therapeutics | More News | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - August 25th, 2021
- Educating California and the world on the benefits of hydrogen-powered transportation - H2 View - August 25th, 2021
- The Future is Fat: The Startups Looking to Fatten up Vegan Food - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - August 25th, 2021
- This tech investor believes well soon live to 150. Here are his seven longevity hacks - The Irish Times - August 25th, 2021
- The Best New CBD Skincare Products Of 2021 (So Far) - Forbes - August 25th, 2021
- FDA Approval, Efficacy, Boosters and More: Which COVID Vaccine is Best for You? - NBC Chicago - August 25th, 2021
- Plant Stem Cell Market Technology Research and Global Outlook By Our Experts The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 22nd, 2021
- AAPI's National Blood Donation Drive and Stem Cell Registry Launched, Honoring Fallen Covid Warriors The Indian Panorama - The Indian Panorama - August 22nd, 2021
- Stem Cells Facts and Quiz - WebMD - August 20th, 2021
- Stem cells | healthdirect - August 20th, 2021
- Research Study Published in Functional Foods Highlights Benefits of a Proprietary CBD Formula for Neurological Health - The Free Press Tampa - August 20th, 2021
- Leukemia Stem Cell Transplant: Benefits, Procedure, Side ... - August 20th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Positive Interim Clinical Data from its FT596 and FT516 Off-the-shelf, iPSC - GlobeNewswire - August 20th, 2021