DetailsCategory: More NewsPublished on Tuesday, 24 August 2021 17:24Hits: 354
MELBOURNE and ADELAIDE, Australia I August 24,2021 I AdAlta Limited (ASX:1AD) and Carina Biotech Pty Ltd have entered a collaboration agreement to develop next-generation i-body enabled CAR-T cells, with the potential to bring CAR-T cell therapy to treat a far greater range of cancers than the small number of blood cancers that has been achieved today.
CAR-T cell therapy is a fast-emerging form of cancer therapy that modifies a patient's immune system to recognise and attack cancer cells that have resisted standard treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation.
AdAlta's CEO, Dr Tim Oldham commented, "We believe that by combining our i-bodies with Carina's world-class CAR-T platform, we can make this important new therapeutic approach accessible to more patients and a greater range of cancers than is possible today. We are well past the starting line, having worked previously on the first two targets selected for our collaboration, and with Carina on one of these."
Carina's CEO, Dr Deborah Rathjen commented, "This collaboration with AdAlta gives us the capability to generate bi-specific CAR molecules and then next-generation CAR-T cell products with enhanced cancer targeting and efficacy something we are very excited about. The collaboration is off to a great start with Carina having already successfully inserted an AdAlta i-body into a CAR-T cell with functional cancer killing capability."
About the collaborationUnder the Collaboration Agreement, AdAlta will discover and optimise panels of i-bodies that bind to designated solid tumour antigen targets, from which Carina will generate bi-specific CAR-T cells and identify optimal CAR-T product candidates. Carina and AdAlta will jointly fund pre-clinical proof of concept studies in mouse tumour models.
The Collaboration Agreement contemplates commencing work on up to five tumour antigen targets during the next two years and will continue until completion of research on the final target. The first two targets have been selected enabling research to commence within the next three months. AdAlta's initial contribution will leverage its established laboratory resources and is not anticipated to have a material impact on current cash runway.
AdAlta and Carina will jointly own the products developed through the collaboration. On a product-by-product basis: the companies may elect to continue to co-develop any product; out-license any product to third parties; or either company may exercise an option to license the other party's share of the collaboration assets.
Dr Tim Oldham continued, "A core part of AdAlta's strategy is to enter collaborations with partners where we can further the use of our i-bodies to address disease targets previously thought undruggable. The i-body-directed CAR-T cells will be the second example of this, complementing our collaboration with GE Healthcare where ibodies are being used to deliver a PET imaging agent. The Carina collaboration contributes multiple potential products to our pipeline expansion goals."
AdAlta and Carina will host a Webinar to discuss the collaboration results at 2.30pm AEST Wednesday, 25 August 2021. Register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_D9rF0gIEQN--qzeohAXAGQ
About CAR-T cell therapy Chimeric antigen receptor T cell (CAR-T) therapy is a revolutionary and targeted cancer treatment option that harnesses a patient's own immune system to fight their cancer, providing a personalised cancer treatment. It was named by the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) as its Advance of the Year in 2018.
Chimeric antigen receptors (CARs) are human-engineered molecules expressed on the surface of a patient's T cells key cells of the immune system. These CAR molecules are "targeted" at molecular markers on cancer cells. T cells armed with CARs (CAR-T cells) can more easily "home in" on cancer cells and destroy them.
There are already five approved CAR-T therapies available in the US today. These are generating transformational outcomes for patients with a small number of blood cancers that have failed multiple prior lines of therapy. Even with these limited early applications, the market is forecast to grow at 20.2% per year, and to be worth $20.3 billion by 2027 . Revenues from solid tumour CAR-T cell therapies are forecast to exceed revenues from blood cancer CAR-T cell therapies by 2030 .
About i-bodies i-bodies are an example of a "next-generation antibody". Antibodies are large protein molecules playing a key role in the immune system's response to the presence of a foreign substance (antigen). Next generation antibodies are smaller proteins engineered to replicate key functions of full-sized antibodies and are predicted to have a major impact on human health, particularly in oncology, autoimmunity and chronic inflammatory diseases.
AdAlta's proprietary i-bodies are approximately one tenth of the size of conventional monoclonal antibodies. They were engineered using a human protein backbone and synthetic antigen binding regions to mimic small, very stable "single domain antibodies" found in sharks. The result is a range of unique and versatile proteins capable of interacting with high selectivity, specificity and affinity with previously difficult-to-access targets in the human body that have been implicated in many serious diseases.
Benefits of combining CAR-T and i-bodies The small size and unique targeting of i-bodies provides greater flexibility and design options for CAR-T cells and are ideally suited for the production of bi-specific CARs with increased precision and efficacy. i-bodies can be utilised as the binding domain of a CAR receptor that engages the tumour antigen. i-bodies are approximately half the size of traditional binding domains and are capable of accessing and engaging antigens in unique ways.
About AdAlta AdAlta Ltd is a clinical stage drug development company headquartered in Melbourne, Australia. Using its proprietary i-body technology platform, AdAlta aims to solve challenging drug-targeting problems and generate a promising new class of single-domain antibody protein therapeutics with the potential to treat some of today's most challenging medical conditions.
AdAlta has completed Phase I clinical studies for its lead i-body candidate, AD-214, being developed for the treatment of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) and other human fibrotic diseases, for which current therapies are sub-optimal and there is a high unmet medical need.
The Company is also entering collaborative partnerships to advance the development of its i-body platform.
For more information visit: http://www.adalta.com.au
About Carina BiotechCarina Biotech Pty Ltd is developing CAR-T and other adoptive cell therapies for the treatment of solid cancers from its headquarters in Adelaide. Using its proprietary chemokine receptor platform, Carina aims to improve access to, and infiltration of, solid cancers by CAR-containing cells to create more potent and specific cancer cell killing and reduced off-target effects. Carina has a fully integrated, proprietary manufacturing process that has both reduced manufacturing time and improved CAR-T cell quality capable of delivering robust CAR-T cells to patients.
Carina has a deep pipeline of CAR-T programs and is progressing its lead product against a cancer stem cell antigen, LGR5, through IND-enabling activities with the aim of commencing clinical trials in patients in 2022. Carina successfully out-licensed its first CAR-T product against novel solid tumour antigen nfP2X7 to Biosceptre (UK).
For more information visit: http://www.carinabiotech.com
- BioLineRx Announces Positive Results from Pharmacoeconomic Study Positioning Motixafortide as Potential Standard of Care in Stem Cell Mobilization -... - October 17th, 2021
- Misinformation on stem cell treatments for COVID-19 linked to overhyped science, researchers argue - EurekAlert - October 17th, 2021
- FDA Approves Genentech's Tecentriq as Adjuvant Treatment for Certain People With Early Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - BioSpace - October 17th, 2021
- Nic Chapman: my MS battle and the treatment that's given me hope - The Times - October 17th, 2021
- Dream Body Clinic Stem Cell Therapy Stem Cells HGH - October 13th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells - October 13th, 2021
- 3D printing: Healthcare insiders' view on the tech - Verdict - October 13th, 2021
- Top 10 Best Stem Cell Supplement Brands - Healthtrends - October 13th, 2021
- Mitochondrial superoxide dismutase overexpression and low oxygen conditioning hormesis improve the performance of irradiated sterile males |... - October 13th, 2021
- Researchers uncover how cancer cells use sugar residue to evade the immune system - News-Medical.net - October 13th, 2021
- The science and practicality of cultured meat The Stute - The Stute - October 11th, 2021
- Vitro Biopharma Inc. July 31st 2021; 3rd Quarter ended Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Le - Benzinga - October 11th, 2021
- Want To Support Healthy Bones? It's Time To Get Your Vitamin D In Check - mindbodygreen.com - October 11th, 2021
- Joint : Why Breast Cancer Awareness Matters, and How to Get It Done - marketscreener.com - October 11th, 2021
- Faster healing of wounds can decrease pain and suffering and save lives - KY3 - October 7th, 2021
- Fasting boosts stem cells regenerative capacity | MIT ... - October 7th, 2021
- Adventist Review Online | Vaxed, Vexed, or Other? - Adventist Review - October 7th, 2021
- Sickle cell disease patients given hope for the future with first new treatment in 20 years - iNews - October 7th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WCAX - October 7th, 2021
- New Australian-first gene therapy gives Rylee and Saman sight at night and the chance at a new life - ABC News - October 7th, 2021
- Is Stathmin-2 the Next Piece of the ALS Jigsaw Puzzle? - BioSpace - October 7th, 2021
- Ashley Black, Entrepreneur Of The Year For Health And Beauty, To Launch Best-Selling FasciaBlaster System - LatestLY - October 5th, 2021
- 25 Best Body Scrubs and Exfoliators in 2021 - the Trend Spotter - The Trend Spotter - October 5th, 2021
- Potential of exosomes as cell-free therapy | IJN - Dove Medical Press - October 2nd, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics to Present at Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer 2021 Annual Meeting - PRNewswire - October 2nd, 2021
- 12 of the best face serums 2021 - Medical News Today - October 2nd, 2021
- Humanigen Submits All Planned Modules for Potential Conditional Marketing Authorization from the UK's MHRA - Business Wire - October 2nd, 2021
- Envigo Announces Collaboration With Biocytogen to Distribute the B-NDG Triple Immunodeficient and Humanizable Mouse Model - StreetInsider.com - September 29th, 2021
- Large-Scale Bioproduction of Adherent Cells To Support Advanced Therapy Workflows - Technology Networks - September 29th, 2021
- Sidney author warns against the abuses of technology Saanich News - Saanich News - September 27th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics Closes Transaction With Amplitude Healthcare Acquisition Corporation, Creating a Publicly Traded Biotechnology Company Dedicated... - September 25th, 2021
- Dr. Sean Kelishadi provides stem cell therapy for facial procedures - Digital Journal - September 25th, 2021
- Pipeline of cell and gene therapies holds promise for repairing the Parkinsonian brain - EurekAlert - September 25th, 2021
- National Institutes of Health awards Children - EurekAlert - September 25th, 2021
- Amplitude Healthcare Acquisition : Announces Shareholder Approval of Business Combination with Jasper Therapeutics, Inc (Form 8-K) -... - September 25th, 2021
- Can you mix and match COVID vaccines or boosters? What scientists and doctors say - CNET - September 22nd, 2021
- All The Reasons Why You Should Add Nutrient-Dense Mushrooms To Your Diet - NDTV Doctor - September 22nd, 2021
- My children know I have a terminal illness talking openly about cancer benefits all of us - iNews - September 22nd, 2021
- Orthopedic Regenerative Surgical Products Market Size to Expand Significantly by the End of 2031 - BioSpace - September 22nd, 2021
- Health tips from Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen for 9-21-21 - The Commercial Dispatch - September 22nd, 2021
- Prescription Drugs Can Be Affordable and Innovative - Center For American Progress - September 18th, 2021
- The Promise of Regenerative Medicine to Treat Chronic Pain - Mega Doctor News - September 18th, 2021
- Precise CRISPR gene editing can correct the mutation that causes cystic fibrosis in mini-intestines - Massive Science - September 18th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Publication of FT538 Preclinical Data Demonstrating Enhanced ... - The Bakersfield Californian - September 18th, 2021
- A New Company With a Wild Mission: Bring Back the Woolly Mammoth - The New York Times - September 14th, 2021
- TreeFrog Therapeutics Secures $75m In Series B Financing To Advance A Pipeline Of Stem Cell-Derived Cell Therapies And Deploy Proprietary C-Stem... - September 14th, 2021
- Therapeutic inhibition of USP9x-mediated Notch signaling in triple-negative breast cancer - pnas.org - September 14th, 2021
- What are the health benefits of nectarines? - Medical News Today - September 10th, 2021
- Time to humanize European health research with an action plan - POLITICO.eu - September 10th, 2021
- Tiny radio tags reveal the lives of Neotropical stingless bees - Massive Science - September 10th, 2021
- Bristol Myers Squibb Research at ESMO 2021 Demonstrates Clinical Benefits of Immunotherapies in Multiple Hard-to-Treat Advanced or Metastatic Cancers... - September 8th, 2021
- Opdivo: Use with Yervoy, Side Effects, Cost, and More - Healthline - September 8th, 2021
- The Deal in Duluth: Catholics here on their own in seeking a religious exemption to being vaccinated - Duluth News Tribune - September 8th, 2021
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Three Primary Malignant Tumors | BCTT - Dove Medical Press - September 8th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly funding Altos Labs, a new anti-ageing venture aiming to cheat death - Screen Shot - September 7th, 2021
- Sorrento Announces Enrollment of First Subject in Brazil Phase 2 Study of COVI-MSC for Treatment of COVID-19 Associated Acute Respiratory Distress in... - September 2nd, 2021
- 11 of the best vitamin C serums 2021 - Medical News Today - September 2nd, 2021
- Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) advice on third primary dose vaccination - GOV.UK - September 2nd, 2021
- Japanese scientists have 3D printed a square of lab-grown wagyu beef - The A.V. Club - September 2nd, 2021
- This Company is Producing Bioprinted Fur, Wool & Eyelashes Which Could Make Fur Farms Obsolete - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine -... - September 2nd, 2021
- Poseida Therapeutics Presents Preliminary Results from Phase 1 Trial of P-PSMA-101 at the 6th Annual CAR- - Benzinga - September 1st, 2021
- Operational Highlights and Financial Results for the Year Ended June 30, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - September 1st, 2021
- KNUCKLES Role in Flower Clock; This Tiny Multi-Functional Protein Helps Complete Floral Development Properly at the Right Time - Science Times - September 1st, 2021
- Outlook on the Multiple Myeloma Drugs Global Market to 2026 - by Therapy, Drug Type, End-user, Distribution Channel and Region - Yahoo Finance - August 30th, 2021
- 6 Benefits of Not Eating Meat (or at Least Less of It) - Healthline - August 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market by Type of Cell Manufactured, Source of Cell, Scale of Operation, Purpose of Manufacturing and Key Geographical... - August 25th, 2021
- The world's first 3D-printed Wagyu beef is revealed-it's marbling like the real thing - Texasnewstoday.com - August 25th, 2021
- Science-Backed Benefits of Prickly Pear Cactus - Healthline - August 25th, 2021
- Educating California and the world on the benefits of hydrogen-powered transportation - H2 View - August 25th, 2021
- The Future is Fat: The Startups Looking to Fatten up Vegan Food - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - August 25th, 2021
- This tech investor believes well soon live to 150. Here are his seven longevity hacks - The Irish Times - August 25th, 2021
- The Best New CBD Skincare Products Of 2021 (So Far) - Forbes - August 25th, 2021
- FDA Approval, Efficacy, Boosters and More: Which COVID Vaccine is Best for You? - NBC Chicago - August 25th, 2021
- Plant Stem Cell Market Technology Research and Global Outlook By Our Experts The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 22nd, 2021
- AAPI's National Blood Donation Drive and Stem Cell Registry Launched, Honoring Fallen Covid Warriors The Indian Panorama - The Indian Panorama - August 22nd, 2021
- Stem Cells Facts and Quiz - WebMD - August 20th, 2021
- Stem cells | healthdirect - August 20th, 2021
- Research Study Published in Functional Foods Highlights Benefits of a Proprietary CBD Formula for Neurological Health - The Free Press Tampa - August 20th, 2021
- Leukemia Stem Cell Transplant: Benefits, Procedure, Side ... - August 20th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Positive Interim Clinical Data from its FT596 and FT516 Off-the-shelf, iPSC - GlobeNewswire - August 20th, 2021