image:Progression free survival comparing cord blood transplantation and HLA matched related donor transplantation view more
Credit: Yoshimitsu Shimomura et al.
Osaka, Japan Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is a common type of blood cancer that has a relatively low survival rate. It is particularly deadly for patients suffering from refractory and relapsed AML (R/R AML), meaning their cancer has stopped responding to treatment and has returned after a period of remission. In a recently published article in Leukemia, a group led by researchers at Osaka University compared the survival rates of R/R AML patients treated with two different forms of donor transplantation therapy to determine if one was more effective in this population.
R/R AML is in particular need of efficient and powerful therapeutic strategies, because fewer than 10% of patients currently live for 5 years or longer. A treatment called hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) is the only existing option. This method is allogeneic, meaning the stem cells are obtained from someone other than the patient. HSCT can be very effective and essentially cure the cancer, but the conditions need to be ideal. Of crucial importance is that the disease is in complete remission, because patients in non-remission often relapse following treatment. Donor selection is important, and transplantation from a human leukocyte antigen matched related (MRDT) donor has been considered to be a standard donor.
Another transplantation method similar to MRDT is known as cord blood transplantation (CBT) with comparable effects. However, previous studies have suggested that CBT may be more effective for R/R AML patients with non-ideal conditions.
We believe CBT would be a great treatment option for R/R AML patients in non-remission given the circumstances, says lead author of the study Yoshimitsu Shimomura. However, there are currently limited data for how this subset of patients would respond to CBT.
To establish such a dataset, the team examined survival data of 1,738 adult non-remission R/R AML patients who were given CBT and compared them with those of 713 similar patients who were given MRDT. These comparisons were made by examining the 5-year progression-free survival (PFS) rates of these Japanese patients.
Before comparing PFS rates, we performed propensity score matching, explains Shimomura. This took into account factors such as patient age, sex, years of treatment, and others to ensure all comparisons were as fair as possible and no biases were introduced.
Interestingly, the MRDT-treated patients had an 18.1% 5-year PFS, while this value for the CBT-treated patients was 25.2%. The difference was statistically significant, meaning there were enough data in the study to have confidence that the results are representative and meaningful.
CBT compared with MDRT had a more pronounced decrease in relapse rate than increase in NRM, describes Shimomura.
These intriguing data support CBT as a potential superior alternative to MRDT for patient prognosis and thus provide evidence which may influence clinical guidelines on R/R AML treatment. Future studies will investigate if genetic factors play any roles in patients responses to these two transplantation methods. Additionally, patient quality of life will be considered to optimize therapeutic development for this deadly disease.
The article, Comparing cord blood transplantation and matched related donor transplantation in non-remission acute myeloid leukemia, was published in Leukemia at DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41375-021-01474-0
About Osaka University
Osaka University was founded in 1931 as one of the seven imperial universities of Japan and is now one of Japan's leading comprehensive universities with a broad disciplinary spectrum. This strength is coupled with a singular drive for innovation that extends throughout the scientific process, from fundamental research to the creation of applied technology with positive economic impacts. Its commitment to innovation has been recognized in Japan and around the world, being named Japan's most innovative university in 2015 (Reuters 2015 Top 100) and one of the most innovative institutions in the world in 2017 (Innovative Universities and the Nature Index Innovation 2017). Now, Osaka University is leveraging its role as a Designated National University Corporation selected by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology to contribute to innovation for human welfare, sustainable development of society, and social transformation.
Comparing cord blood transplantation and matched related donor transplantation in non-remission acute myeloid leukemia
Disclaimer: AAAS and EurekAlert! are not responsible for the accuracy of news releases posted to EurekAlert! by contributing institutions or for the use of any information through the EurekAlert system.
See the rest here:
- How Bone Marrow and Stem Cells are Collected | BMT Infonet - January 16th, 2022
- How Much Does Cord Blood Banking Cost? - January 16th, 2022
- Exploring the relationship between stem cells and COVID-19 - News-Medical.Net - January 16th, 2022
- Private cord blood bank CellSave Arabia receives the first DHA license to operate as a Cord Blood and Stem Cell Center - Gulf News - January 16th, 2022
- Where Stem Cells Are Found, & the Difference That Makes ... - January 16th, 2022
- North America Stem Cell Umbilical Cord Blood Market 2022: Industry Trends, Growth, Size, Segmentation, Top Players, Share, Upcoming Demand, Regional,... - January 7th, 2022
- Amgen, Generate ink potential $1.9B-plus agreement in protein therapeutics - BioWorld Online - January 7th, 2022
- Josh Gelman, CBS News producer who embodied bravery, hope, dies of cancer - WSGW - January 7th, 2022
- Characteristics and prognosis of organizing pneumonia | IJGM - Dove Medical Press - January 7th, 2022
- January 2022: 2021 Papers of the year - Environmental Factor Newsletter - January 3rd, 2022
- Next Chapters: How Northern California blood recipients are doing years after donors helped save their lives - KCRA Sacramento - January 3rd, 2022
- Stem Cell Mimicking Nanoencapsulation for Targeting Arthrit | IJN - Dove Medical Press - December 31st, 2021
- UK's Leading Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell Bank | Cells4Life - December 29th, 2021
- zge zpirinci: Why the Love at Second Sight actress keeps her daughters umbilical cord blood - Market Research Telecast - December 29th, 2021
- Autologous infusion of bone marrow and mesenchymal stromal c | COPD - Dove Medical Press - December 29th, 2021
- National Advertising Division Recommends Cryo-Cell Discontinue or Modify Certain Health-Related Claims for Cord Blood Banking and Treatment Services -... - December 23rd, 2021
- Cord Blood and Medical Misinformation: The Big Business of ... - December 21st, 2021
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, in Partnership with Sutro Biopharma, to Present at ASH 2021 - Yahoo Finance - December 19th, 2021
- Immunohematology Market Size to Grow by USD 907.43 Mn| Growing Demand for Blood Banks and their Potential to Increase Sales will Present Significant... - December 12th, 2021
- Umbilical cord - Wikipedia - December 12th, 2021
- Injectable gel repairs severe spinal cord injuries and enables mice to walk - Big Think - December 12th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size 2021 Industry Share, Global Trend, In-Depth Players Analysis, Revenue, and Recovery, Supply, Growth, Regional... - December 11th, 2021
- Affimed to Host Virtual Investor Call Today to Discuss Treatment of CD30-positive Lymphoma Patients with Cord Blood-derived Natural Killer Cells... - December 11th, 2021
- Stem Cell/Cord Blood Banking Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Growth and Forecasts to 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - December 9th, 2021
- Unproven stem cell treatment industry in the USA: a concerning boom - BioNews - November 22nd, 2021
- Affimed Announces 100% Objective Response Rate at Highest Dose in Phase 1-2 Study of Cord Blood-derived Natural Killer Cells Pre-complexed with Innate... - November 22nd, 2021
- Leukaemia: how can stem cells help? | Eurostemcell - November 16th, 2021
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells and Their Potential for ... - November 16th, 2021
- CELULARITY INC Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 13th, 2021
- In an Astonishing Feat, a New Drug Reversed Paralysis in Mice With Spinal Cord Injury - ScienceAlert - November 13th, 2021
- High Induction of IL-6 Secretion From hUCMSCs Optimize the Potential of hUCMSCs and TCZ as Therapy for COVID-19-Related ARDS - DocWire News - November 13th, 2021
- PRESS RELEASE : Vita 34 again increases sales and margins in the third quarter - marketscreener.com - November 13th, 2021
- Hiltzik: The battle against unlicensed stem cell clinics - Los Angeles Times - November 7th, 2021
- Cord blood cell transplantation and curcumin administration tested as therapy of Tay-Sachs disease - EurekAlert - November 7th, 2021
- Cryoviva Singapore Gets AABB Accreditation for Somatic Cells' Processing, Storage, and Distribution - APN News - November 3rd, 2021
- UAB's Blood and Marrow Transplantation and Cell Therapy Program celebrates 30 years of patient care - UAB News - October 30th, 2021
- Bacterial Infections Linked with Unapproved Stem Cell Treatments - Contagionlive.com - October 25th, 2021
- Global Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation Market Research Report By Share, Size, Top Key Players, Drivers And Forecast To 2027 IMIESA - IMIESA - October 23rd, 2021
- 25 Years Of VST Therapies The Journey Behind The Technology And Innovation - BioProcess Online - October 23rd, 2021
- Cord Blood Registry - October 21st, 2021
- Cord Blood Banking | Parent's Guide to Cord Blood - October 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy & Treatment - Diseases and Conditions - October 21st, 2021
- Innovative Cancer Treatments, Research in Regenerative Medicine and Gene Therapy to Be Presented at World Cord Blood Day 2021 - PRNewswire - October 21st, 2021
- How does donating stem cells work? - Canadian Blood Services - October 21st, 2021
- GMP Cell Banking Services Market Survey | Know the Post-Pandemic Scenario of the Market - BioSpace - October 21st, 2021
- Global Cord Blood Stem Cells Market 2021 Examination and Industry Growth till 2027 IMIESA - IMIESA - October 19th, 2021
- Worldwide Regenerative Medicine Industry to 2026 - Featuring Allergan, Amgen and Baxter International Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - October 19th, 2021
- College Student and Retired Teacher to Thank Stem Cell Donors They've Never Met for Saving Their Lives During City of Hope's 45th Bone Marrow... - October 13th, 2021
- Smart Cells: UK's First Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell ... - October 11th, 2021
- OrganaBio Adds Perinatal and Adult Tissues for Clinical Manufacturing to its Portfolio of Products for Allogeneic Cell Therapy Development - Business... - October 11th, 2021
- A New Line of Defense in Blood Cancer: Natural Killer Cell Therapy - Curetoday.com - October 11th, 2021
- StemExpress Partners with the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine to Provide COVID-19 Testing for the Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - WSAW - October 9th, 2021
- Ready to Treat Over 80 Life-Threatening Diseases, Discover the Potential of Cord Blood during World Cord Blood Day 2021 - PRNewswire - October 9th, 2021
- Just what the Webdoctor ordered | Ireland | The Sunday Times - The Times - October 5th, 2021
- Defining the terms: An entry-level guide to the world of cell and gene therapies - San Francisco Business Times - San Francisco Business Times - October 3rd, 2021
- Generate Life Sciences Announces Schedule of Presentations at the ASRM and AABB Annual Meetings - PRNewswire - October 2nd, 2021
- Comprehensive report of Transplantation of Hematopoietic Stem Cells Market Projected to Gain Significant Value by 2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - October 2nd, 2021
- Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cells (BMSCS) Market To Gain Significant Revenue and Competitive Outlook UP To 2027 Stillwater Current - Stillwater Current - September 29th, 2021
- Recent Clinical Trials on the Treatment of Myocardial Infarction - GlobeNewswire - September 25th, 2021
- United States Biobanks (Population Based v/s Disease) Markets, Competition Forecast & Opportunities, 2021-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - September 25th, 2021
- Antibody and cellular therapies for treatment of covid-19: a living systematic review and network meta-analysis - DocWire News - September 25th, 2021
- SA Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of saving lives - Phoenix Sun - September 22nd, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Discovers and Files Patent on Novel Cellular Therapy Combination for Augmentation of Lung Repair in COVID-19 Model... - September 22nd, 2021
- Thawing Equipment Market With Covid-19 Impact on Industry Share, Size, Emerging Technologies, Future Trends, Competitive Analysis | Thermo Fisher... - September 22nd, 2021
- B cells of the immune system discovered in the meninges - EurekAlert - September 18th, 2021
- Leerink Partners Stick to Their Buy Rating for CryoPort Inc By Investing.com - Investing.com - September 17th, 2021
- Stem Cell Equipment Market Demand and SWOT Analysis by 2027 Chart, Worthington Industries, Cesca Therapeutics UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - September 4th, 2021
- LifeCell Community Stem Cell Banking achieves a significant milestone, preserves 60000 qualified cord blood units in its inventory - APN News - August 25th, 2021
- Biobanks Market Size, Share, Growth, Sales Revenue and Key Drivers Analysis Research Report by 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 14th, 2021
- Cryopreservation Equipment Market Forecast to 2028 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Type - GlobeNewswire - August 14th, 2021
- Later-Generation Cellular Therapies Look Promising in Hematologic Malignancies - Targeted Oncology - August 14th, 2021
- Cryopreservation Equipment Market Forecast to 2028 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Type ; Cryogen Type ; Application ; End User, and... - August 12th, 2021
- Cryo-Cell International to Present at the Q3 Virtual Investor Summit - Yahoo Finance - August 12th, 2021
- Therapeutic Solutions International Reports Superior Neurogenesis Induction in Animal Model of Viral Induced Cognitive Dysfunction Compared to other... - August 12th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market Size, Share, Growth, Analysis, Trend, and Forecast Research Report by 2027 The Manomet Current... - August 12th, 2021
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia Treatment: What You Need to Know - Healthline - August 12th, 2021
- 7 things to know before banking your newborns cord blood - Motherly Inc. - August 12th, 2021
- Cord Blood Banking Service Market is Projected to Showcase Significant Growth USD 2,772 million at CAGR +13% up to 2027| Cord Blood America, Inc., CBR... - July 29th, 2021
- Be wary of stem cell treatments; blood pressure meds help with dementia - Hometown Focus - July 29th, 2021
- Protein Discovery Links Together Two Forms of ALS - Technology Networks - July 29th, 2021